Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Spoilered for length:

Spoiler

There are multiple abilities in this world and the way you get them is by traveling until you find a shrine. You then go inside and come back out with powers, there are two catches through, monsters follow the shrines and are often caused by them and you don't know what power you're going to get. The more you use your power the stronger it becomes, but the opposite effect happens more and more as you use it as well.

The powers range from enhanced awareness and senses to enhanced mental speed to enhanced strength, but there are some outliers.

For one final note, what effects would a modernizing world have on shrines that do their best to avoid people? How do you think people would try to take advantage of these shrines?

1 hour ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Spoilered for length:

It's a paragraph. I don't think you need to spoiler it.

monsters follow the shrines

So shrines move? Aren't they inanimate objects? And is it difficult to track them? is that part of the challenge is finding them in the first place? Also, note for you, make sure the heroes going to the shrine have difficultly getting through the monsters and the show how much easier it is once super-powered to exemplify their newfound power. 

What do you mean by opposite effect? 

The powers range from enhanced awareness and senses to enhanced mental speed to enhanced strength, but there are some outliers.

Nice and constrained. Forces you to be creative.

what effects would a modernizing world have on shrines that do their best to avoid people? How do you think people would try to take advantage of these shrines?

Keep the shrines in place for studying or exploiting.

10 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

It's a paragraph. I don't think you need to spoiler it.

So shrines move? Aren't they inanimate objects? And is it difficult to track them? is that part of the challenge is finding them in the first place? Also, note for you, make sure the heroes going to the shrine have difficultly getting through the monsters and the show how much easier it is once super-powered to exemplify their newfound power. 

What do you mean by opposite effect? 

Nice and constrained. Forces you to be creative.

Keep the shrines in place for studying or exploiting.

I... Was expecting it to be longer.

Think of the shrines as forces of nature, they move in a way that makes sense to them but not really to humans. It's not so much as tracking bit more finding, of you search for long enough you will find one. Generally due to various elements of how this world works the journey is the hardest part (journey before destination, am I right? :P), but they are somewhat difficult to find in most cultures boys (and girls in some) go on pilgrimages (hence the title), which very from six months to three years. Earlier I said if you search long enough you will find one, well it takes at most ten years to find one and at least six months. 

The monsters aren't the hardest part, but this is a good point, however the powers aren't as strong as you think especially in the beginning (I know realize how lucky I was to put that in. By that I mean power scaling wise) it should say somewhere in there that it gets stronger with time.

Like if your power is super-strength then you will be weaker when not using your power.

Not as constrained as you think, but fair, the outliers are like weight and some other weird stuff that doesn't quite fit on to that scale.

Hm, good idea however the shrines will NOT take kindly to people trapping and studying them, wait that would make for a good story, thanks!

28 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Think of the shrines as forces of nature, they move in a way that makes sense to them but not really to humans. It's not so much as tracking bit more finding, of you search for long enough you will find one. Generally due to various elements of how this world works the journey is the hardest part (journey before destination, am I right? :P), but they are somewhat difficult to find in most cultures boys (and girls in some) go on pilgrimages (hence the title), which very from six months to three years. Earlier I said if you search long enough you will find one, well it takes at most ten years to find one and at least six months. 

Hmm. I guess you can get away from that. How many shrines are there, and what are unique about them?

29 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Like if your power is super-strength then you will be weaker when not using your power.

Um, I'm not sure I'd suggest this. Having consequences for using your powers is fine, but your powers are small and simple enough that you don't really need to and these are a bit much, especially when you think of how someone increasing their mental speed would eventually become a vegetable, and what's to stop them from just always using their powers?

31 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Not as constrained as you think, but fair, the outliers are like weight and some other weird stuff that doesn't quite fit on to that scale.

My novel has people who can manipulate the forces of the universe. Yours are pretty constrained.

9 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Hmm. I guess you can get away from that. How many shrines are there, and what are unique about them?

Um, I'm not sure I'd suggest this. Having consequences for using your powers is fine, but your powers are small and simple enough that you don't really need to and these are a bit much, especially when you think of how someone increasing their mental speed would eventually become a vegetable, and what's to stop them from just always using their powers?

My novel has people who can manipulate the forces of the universe. Yours are pretty constrained.

How many shrines? It's kinda weird it's like saying how many waves are there, there are relatively few but there are some shenanigans going on with finding the shrines and stuff.

It's not even really a consequence, think of these powers as a drug. I'm likely going to rope a bunch of powers together, like super strength, speed and jumping all together, that kind of thing. There is nothing to stop them from using their powers however, if your senses get powerful enough you're going to have to deal with hearing asteroids hit each other eventually, most people are frugal with their powers. Also the mental one would likely be combined with healing.

Ya, that's fair until we get into how shrines work, which we won't.

Edited by Somebody from Sel