IndigoAjah

So, after she was absent from this book and said to have moved on from the Honorspren stronghold, what do we think happens next for Azure ?/ 

Spoiler

Vivenna

Is she just here as a shout out, to hint at who Zahel might be and hint at the Cosmere connections?

Or does she have a specific part to play?

Spoiler

We are pretty sure she has her own Enlightened Sword, something similar but not the same as Nightblood. Probably from Nightblood the story, and possibly from Yesteel himself. And it seems odd for her to be on Roshar unless for plot purpose. Will Odium get NB and the heroes need Azure's blade?  Can it do something different to Investiture, like bind it rather than destroying? 

What do you think happens next for her?

I defenitely think Vivenna has a plot purpose. Brandon wouldn't have made such a big deal of her if she was just a cameo like Galladon in WoK. I suspect we will see her in Rocks story, since she should get out of the perpendicularity there. And yes, her sword should be important as well. I wouldn't be surprised if she, just like Nightblood, has a part to play in Cultivations schemes. Also, she will defenitely confront Vasher, presumably in book 5. 

She was headed to the perpendicularity IIRC so that would mean she comes through somewhere in the Horneater peaks - good timing for a certain novella. And if Rock is there, he has seen Nightblood and could tip her off to its current owner.

Bringing up another question - certain Horneaters like Rock have the gift of seeing spren, maybe like they can see their Cognitive aspect - this maybe comes from their singer blood as Venli flashbacks describe spren more like how they look in Cognitive Realm than how they look to humans. Do we know if Rock sees anything different when he sees Nightblood? Does Nightblood looks different at all in the Cognitive Realm? We know if manifests there because Taravangian used it, but I wonder if Rock could tell and therefore could tell that Azure has an atypical blade as well.

• 7 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 7:58 PM, Dreamwa1ker said:

Does Nightblood looks different at all in the Cognitive Realm?

It doesn’t seem to look different to Lift, which tells me probably not. She could have been distracted by Szeth’s shadow, but she noticed Nightblood too, so I think she’d have picked up on it. Of course, the aluminum sheath might interfere, but we’re pretty sure Azure has one too.

On 29.11.2020 at 0:34 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

I defenitely think Vivenna has a plot purpose. Brandon wouldn't have made such a big deal of her if she was just a cameo like Galladon in WoK.

Technically she has already served a purpose. Te Spren now know how to make awakened blades. That will change the balance of power in Shadesmar and has increased the importance of Nalthis by a lot. And I am sure the Spren are now starting a research project on how to awaken with Stormlight.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The Spren now know how to make awakened blades. That will change the balance of power in Shadesmar and has increased the importance of Nalthis by a lot. And I am sure the Spren are now starting a research project on how to awaken with Stormlight.

Do they know how to? Can you source that?