Where's the Dustbringer?

Necessary Eagle

Questioner

Any new Dustbringers in Stormlight Four?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there will be.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

I'd been hoping it would be the Herdazian general-- and I still think he is one-- but since he hasn't shown any overt powers, the Mink wouldn't be any "newer" this book than the last one.

Did I miss something, or are the only new Releasers in RoW Taravangian/Malata's collection of malcontents? Because I guess Brandon never promised that they'd have names... or lines ... or actually appear on-page or impact the plot... but that'd be kind of disappointing.

*sigh* *prepares self for disappointment*

Remember that Brandon gave this quote back in 2018, and some things, often around characters, change as he is writing the books. He might have believed that Mink would have been confirmed Dustbringer in this one, but had to move it to 5 or something. Or he planned to show Chana, but moved her. I would attribute it to a structural change, which happens during the writing at times. He said Axies would probably be in the book as well, but he wasn't. So that is probably the easiest explanation. 

5 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

I'd been hoping it would be the Herdazian general-- and I still think he is one-- but since he hasn't shown any overt powers, the Mink wouldn't be any "newer" this book than the last one.

Did I miss something, or are the only new Releasers in RoW Taravangian/Malata's collection of malcontents? Because I guess Brandon never promised that they'd have names... or lines ... or actually appear on-page or impact the plot... but that'd be kind of disappointing.

*sigh* *prepares self for disappointment*

I think he intended it to be the Reshi King, but he got moved to Dawnshard.