Voidsabre

I'm finally here!

13 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, my name is Justin aka Voidsabre.

I've been a huge Brandon Sanderson fan for a few years now and I've been a visitor here as a lurker quite often, but I was kinda nervous about joining and taking an active role in the community before getting too caught up on reading because I was slightly afraid of feeling like I was missing out on things until I was able to catch up.

I'm reading Oathbringer and The Bands of Mourning right now so I'm not entirely up to date cosmere wise, but I've finally accepted that I don't care too much about spoilers or falling behind, Journey Before Destination.

A few things about me, I'm a huge Tolkien fan as The Hobbit is my favorite book of all time and is what got me into fantasy (I reread it every year)

I've recently taken up writing Fantasy mostly due to Brandon's influence and a friend of mine, and I'm loving it.

If I could choose to be a Twinborn my Allomantic power would be Tin and my Feruchemical power would be Copper.

My Knights Radiant order is Elsecaller.

A few irl things, I play bass guitar in a band, I love video games, especially retro games, and one of my favorite things in the world is driving with the windows down listening to music.

Sorry if this got a little rambly. I'm excited to start actively participating in the community, thanks everyone for helping create a place like this and thanks for putting up with me lol.

26 minutes ago, voidsabre said:

I've been a huge Brandon Sanderson fan for a few years now and I've been a visitor here as a lurker quite often, but I was kinda nervous about joining and taking an active role in the community before getting too caught up on reading because I was slightly afraid of feeling like I was missing out on things until I was able to catch up.

I'm reading Oathbringer and The Bands of Mourning right now so I'm not entirely up to date cosmere wise, but I've finally accepted that I don't care too much about spoilers or falling behind, Journey Before Destination.

A few things about me, I'm a huge Tolkien fan as The Hobbit is my favorite book of all time and is what got me into fantasy (I reread it every year)

I've recently taken up writing Fantasy mostly due to Brandon's influence and a friend of mine, and I'm loving it.

If I could choose to be a Twinborn my Allomantic power would be Tin and my Feruchemical power would be Copper.

A few irl things, I play bass guitar in a band, I love video games, especially retro games, and one of my favorite things in the world is driving with the windows down listening to music.

Sorry if this got a little rambly. I'm excited to start actively participating in the community, thanks everyone for helping create a place like this and thanks for putting up with me lol.

Welcome! We're glad to have you here. Be careful about going into book forums, they have spoilers, although only for the series, and if you don't care, then this doesn't matter. What type of music do you listen to?

Oh, and you can edit previous posts by clicking the edit button at the bottom. 

Edited by Mist

30 minutes ago, voidsabre said:

Welcome to the SHard! What's your favorite Cosmere book?

1 hour ago, Ookla the Tortured said:

Welcome to the SHard! What's your favorite Cosmere book?

Probably The Way of Kings

Another bass player, cool! What sort of music does your band play?

Welcome to the Shard Justin! Delighted to have you join us and get more involved in the community. It is most definitely an awesome place and with you here it only gets better! :D

If you're on OB you are getting pretty close to being caught up. I'm sure you will get there in no time! That is so awesome Brandon has inspired you to do fantasy wiring as well! You might enjoy checking out the Reading Excuses section to exchange ideas with other writers like yourself :)

What was the first Cosmere book you read and do you wish you had started elsewhere? Hope you enjoy the Shard!

1 hour ago, voidsabre said:

Probably The Way of Kings

Cool! My favorite book is also the Way of Kings. Or maybe Rhythm of War. 
what’s your favorite cosmere character? 

Happy to meet you, Voidsabre! Eh, don't sweat it, this is the place for rambling after all. Look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

20 hours ago, Ookla the Monk said:

Another bass player, cool! What sort of music does your band play?

I'm technically in two different bands, but they're both almost identical in membership. I'm in an alternative/indie band with 5 members, and then I got invited to join a church band that's the same makeup as our normal band but with our electric guitarist replaced with an older man that plays another acoustic

19 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

What was the first Cosmere book you read and do you wish you had started elsewhere? Hope you enjoy the Shard!

I actually started with a really cool sampler I found that had the first 5 chapters of Mistborn and part 1 of The Way of Kings. I read both and enjoyed both so much that I bought the Mistborn trilogy then TWoK. I'm glad I read them in that order, and the only thing I would change is maybe reading Elantris before I got too spoiled by Stormlight. I never finished Elantris but I don't count it as a DNF, I'm just taking a break from it and it's coming up soon on my TBR

19 hours ago, Ookla the Tortured said:

Cool! My favorite book is also the Way of Kings. Or maybe Rhythm of War. 
what’s your favorite cosmere character? 

I can't pick a favorite Cosmere character in general as I love too many, but I can name a favorite for each series. Mistborn Era 1: Sazed. Warbreaker: Lightsong. Stormlight: Dalinar. Mistborn Era 2: Steris, she reminds me of someone I know. Novella characters: Dusk. Elantris: Galladon so far

1 hour ago, Voidsabre said:

I can't pick a favorite Cosmere character in general as I love too many, but I can name a favorite for each series. Mistborn Era 1: Sazed. Warbreaker: Lightsong. Stormlight: Dalinar. Mistborn Era 2: Steris, she reminds me of someone I know. Novella characters: Dusk. Elantris: Galladon so far

Nice! Yeah, it is really hard to chose sometimes with Sanderson.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Voidsabre said:

I actually started with a really cool sampler I found that had the first 5 chapters of Mistborn and part 1 of The Way of Kings. I read both and enjoyed both so much that I bought the Mistborn trilogy then TWoK. I'm glad I read them in that order, and the only thing I would change is maybe reading Elantris before I got too spoiled by Stormlight. I never finished Elantris but I don't count it as a DNF, I'm just taking a break from it and it's coming up soon on my TBR

Oh awesome that sounds like a really cool way to get introduced to them! That is so perfect to that you loved them so much and went on from there. Interesting wanting to read Elantris before yeah I can see you there. Definitely finish it up at some point for sure but that makes sense! Welcome again!

Welcome to the shard! Be careful of the forums till you finish SA. A lot of potential for getting spoiled! Otherwise you will not find a more fun community elsewhere

On 12/1/2020 at 1:22 AM, Aon Tia said:

Welcome to the shard! Be careful of the forums till you finish SA. A lot of potential for getting spoiled! Otherwise you will not find a more fun community elsewhere

Personally I don't care too much about spoilers anymore. I knew two of the big reveals in Words of Radiance before I read it and didn't enjoy it any less. I think the journey is more important than the destination for Stormlight to me. I prefer to find my own way and theorize for Mistborn as it's a little more mystery oriented but Stormlight has so much variety and is so much fun to read that Stormlight spoilers don't bother me at all