Bondsmith Unchained

Samrat

Ishar the once Herald of luck is now completely insane as we see in RoW. Good job Odium!

And now, he has somehow gotten his Honorblade from Shinnovar, killing it's guardian Neturo-son-Vallano, Szeth's dad. This makes him a Bondsmith free from Tanavast/Honor's prohibitions on him. So he can summon perpendicularity of Honor, drain Radiants of their Stormlight and was able to form Connection with Dalinar to steal his bond with Stormfather.

All because now he has his Honorblade to grant him the surges of Adhesion and Tension. Also that he is experienced and knowledgeable in Bondsmithing.

So the question is Can anyone do this if he/she -

1) Has bond with both Peakspren and Honorspren, or

2) Has a bond with a Peakspren and Jezrien's Honorblade, or

3) Has bond with Taln's blade and an Honorspren, or

4) Has bonded with both Taln's and Jezrien's Honorblades

Also point to be noted - Narratively both these Honorblades of Taln and Jezrien are placed in such a way (Taln's not known where and Jezrien's with Moash, still) that point 2, 3 and 4 are invalid. 1 is way more difficult to do. 

So at the end is it the pair of surges or the uniqueness of Bondsmith sprens that allows one to do such incredible feats??

I think this may be something more unique to bondsmith powers, greater than the sum of their surges. Since windrunners also can manipulate connection but we've never seen them able to do anything Dalinar can (nor have we seen Dalinar do anything they can, I think? I could be forgetting something there) it seems like a safe bet that there's something fundamentally different about how bondsmith powers work. I also think seeing Navani explore her powers, particularly with her scientific mind, is going to give us a much better understanding of this soon.

I also think that the Different Bondsmiths have different powers. I imagine the Nightwatcher Bondsmith to be very different from the Stormfather Bondsmith. Also the new lights will play into this with Dalinar using more control over stormlight, Nightwatcher over Lifelight, and Sibling over Towerlight. I personally think they will add an Odium Bondsmith and end up with 7 totally Bondsmiths which might get crazy by book 10. I don't think anyone saw where Rhythm of War was going. 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:07 AM, Samrat said:

Also point to be noted - Narratively both these Honorblades of Taln and Jezrien are placed in such a way (Taln's not known where and Jezrien's with Moash, still) that point 2, 3 and 4 are invalid. 1 is way more difficult to do. 

So, now I have a crackpot hypothesis (more of an unlikely hope) that Kaladin will pick up Taln's honorblade at the right place and time (afaik Hoid did some stormery switcharoo with the honorblade and a deadeye blade back in WoK, right? so he could have hidden it wherever Kaladin will need it to gain access to Tension and do some emergency Bondsmithing (perhaps to save Dalinar, or someone else while Dalinar is otherwise unable to Bondsmith)).

On 11/27/2020 at 9:07 AM, Samrat said:

Ishar the once Herald of luck is now completely insane as we see in RoW. Good job Odium!

And now, he has somehow gotten his Honorblade from Shinnovar, killing it's guardian Neturo-son-Vallano, Szeth's dad. This makes him a Bondsmith free from Tanavast/Honor's prohibitions on him. So he can summon perpendicularity of Honor, drain Radiants of their Stormlight and was able to form Connection with Dalinar to steal his bond with Stormfather.

All because now he has his Honorblade to grant him the surges of Adhesion and Tension. Also that he is experienced and knowledgeable in Bondsmithing.

So the question is Can anyone do this if he/she -

1) Has bond with both Peakspren and Honorspren, or

2) Has a bond with a Peakspren and Jezrien's Honorblade, or

3) Has bond with Taln's blade and an Honorspren, or

4) Has bonded with both Taln's and Jezrien's Honorblades

So at the end is it the pair of surges or the uniqueness of Bondsmith sprens that allows one to do such incredible feats??

We know you could get a new resonance from using surges from honorblades or two spren so presumably you get a currently existing one of Tension and Adhesion.

Questioner

If a Radiant uses an Honorblade or binds a second spren, could they get new abilities/resonances by having access to Surges that aren't usually combined?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they could. Indeed.

San Diego Comic-Con@Home 2020 (July 23, 2020)

On 12/2/2020 at 3:57 AM, MyrmidonOfAchilles said:

We know you could get a new resonance from using surges from honorblades or two spren so presumably you get a currently existing one of Tension and Adhesion.

Do u think our Gagadin will bond a Peakspren?

On 11/29/2020 at 8:02 PM, Dawnshard said:

I also think that the Different Bondsmiths have different powers. I imagine the Nightwatcher Bondsmith to be very different from the Stormfather Bondsmith. Also the new lights will play into this with Dalinar using more control over stormlight, Nightwatcher over Lifelight, and Sibling over Towerlight. I personally think they will add an Odium Bondsmith and end up with 7 totally Bondsmiths which might get crazy by book 10. I don't think anyone saw where Rhythm of War was going. 

You have 3 Bondsmiths from the three Godspren, 1 from the Honorblade and 1 from a proposed Odium Bondsmith. How did you get to 7?

Oathbringer also implies that no Bondsmith before Dalinar could open a Perpendicularity like he does. Maybe this has to do with Honor being dead and not holding them back anymore. I think there are going to be more new uses that even the Fused won't be prepared for. A Bondsmith unchained as you put it might be comparable to a Fullborn in power. I personally think they are able to do their feats because their Spren are particularly powerful Splinters that allow them to do more with the Cognitive and Spiritual parts of their Surges

I get the sense that Bondsmiths use the surge of Adhesion to manipulate Connection in a more abstract, yet more profound way than Windrunners, whose use of Adhesion seems geared to physical application for combat. Dalinar uses it to connect stones when rebuilding a temple and the Stormfather basically suggests he’s using godly power like krazy glue. 

I think Ishar has had lifetimes to understand how his powers can manipulate Connection in subtle and profound ways, while Dalinar is clueless. Could Dalinar do what Ishar did? I think so...he just doesn’t even have the frame of reference Ishar has to work from. 

3 hours ago, Lightdancer said:

I believe they're referencing a theory that some or all of the Unmade were once Bondsmith or godspren.

Its 3 from the pure lights, 3 from paired lights, and 1 from the theoretical triple light.  Not that I agree with this, but that is where 7 comes from.

Guest Parallax

All the Unmade combined are Odium's godspren:

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

1) The Nightwatcher and Stormfather are parallel entities such that Nighwatcher:Cultivation :: Stormfather:Honor.

2) There is sort of a parallel for Odium, but the parallel is the various Unmade instead of a single entity.

3) They are parallel in that they are all Splinters.

4) The Unmade are voluntary Splinters, because Odium ("like almost all of the other Shards") voluntarily Splintered part of it's power.

5) The Stormfather is different from the others because it's a Sliver.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Edited by Parallax

On 2020-12-08 at 6:14 PM, StanLemon said:

I personally think they are able to do their feats because their Spren are particularly powerful Splinters that allow them to do more with the Cognitive and Spiritual parts of their Surges

(Emphasis mine) This, both the power from the god spren and the fact that they are spren with minds of their own that can help guide the power. 

5 hours ago, knightedbishop said:

I get the sense that Bondsmiths use the surge of Adhesion to manipulate Connection in a more abstract, yet more profound way

This is also part of it, each order do different things differently. 

I do believe that every order of knights can become more than they ever were due to honors death. And with the help of spren the knights might be able do more things easier than the corresponding honorblade work let allow.

2 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I think that's because of the connection he made with Daliner, not that he would normally have that ability. Am I mistaken in this line of thought?

You are, as The Stormfather did not feel anything, Dalinar still has his bond, Ishar knew what to do, and opened the Perpendicularity again to get to Shinovar.

9 hours ago, Samrat said:

Would proposed this Odium Bondsmith??

I quoted the user named Dawnshard(not the story), it's the third comment. Someone else answered me saying there's some theory that there will be a Bondsmith for each type of light. 

Stormfather: Stormlight

Nightwatcher: Lifelight

Sibling: Towerlight

Ba-Ado-Mishram: Voidlight (I'm guessing this is the proposed Odium Bondsmith because it's pure Voidlight, but I'm not sure, it's not my theory)

Other Unmades/Godspren?: Various Light combinations

Not sure what I think about that, seems like too much to happen in book 5 though maybe there will be something happening with that in the back half. Though it is worth noting that in order for Ishar to be sane for whatever he's trying to get Dalinar to do, one or more Bondsmiths may need to swear Oaths in succession so he can be sane long enough to accomplish whatever sane Ishar thinks they can do. So, I'm guessing we're at least getting a Nightwatcher Bondsmith and/or a Dalinar advancement to the 4th Ideal. 

On 2020-11-28 at 6:56 AM, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

I think this may be something more unique to bondsmith powers, greater than the sum of their surges. Since windrunners also can manipulate connection but we've never seen them able to do anything Dalinar can (nor have we seen Dalinar do anything they can, I think? I could be forgetting something there) it seems like a safe bet that there's something fundamentally different about how bondsmith powers work. I also think seeing Navani explore her powers, particularly with her scientific mind, is going to give us a much better understanding of this soon.

Soon? SOON??

You call three years soon? I’ll be nearly 40 by the time KoW will be released! I’ll be nearly 60 when stormlight 10 will be out!! I’ll have to survive another 25 years at least!!! 
Damn, I’ll have to quit drinking and smoking... 

I agree with everything else though...