El's metal - fabrial cage?

Isilel

I have seen folks jump to the conclusion that El practices hemalurgy, but this seems very implausible to me because TLR's Ascension when it was first "invented" on _Scadrial_, the planet half created by Ruin, was only 1300 years before current SA events. I.e. during the Fused long confinement in non-corporeal state on Braize. Additionally, even on Scadrial hemalurgy wasn't discovered normally, but handed to TLR by Ruin himself. It is a precision art where one needs to know exactly what they are doing and intend the result. I can't imagine people from a planet invested by a different Shard beating Scadrians by millennia in the discovery of Ruin's own magical art! 

OTOH, we know that native Rosharan animals, including the singers are basically living "new" fabrials, with spren captured in their gemhearts. So, doesn't it make more sense if El's metal inclusions are basically fabrial cages and he uses them to amplify and modulate his surge, exactly like Navani's lecture describes re: fabrial spren? That would allow him to get much more from his ability/form than the other Fused do.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:42 PM, Bremen said:

That makes a lot of sense. I thought they might be metalminds, but a fabrial cage makes much more sense.

Does the cage interfere with his ability to hear the rhythms? OTOH Lezian says he is forbidden the rhythms. I thought it might be because he is human... idk

He's not human. His attitude towards them in the epigraphs is one of studying something foreign, not a self defense.

I haven't checked around the forum enough to see if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but when I read about his metal insertions my first thought was that it was aluminum. If he implants aluminum in various places around his body it would act as a sort of shardplate for whenever he is dueling radiants/heralds. 

Main problem there is that I would assume implanting aluminum would probably effect his use of various powers. It may also prevent singers/fused from hearing the rhythms, and therefore keep others from doing the same. If so, he could be doing it partly because he is forbidden the rhythms or because that consequence of the insertions is no longer a factor (because the rhythms are otherwise blocked already).

1 hour ago, stormlore said:

TaRavangian + El = Trel(l)

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Act like what they expect!

MB

Spoiler

Trell was known by the ancient Scandrians, and sazed knew about him from them and so Odium to disguise himself and keep from being exposed used Trell as a scapegoat.

Of course that messes with the timeline as Harmony mentioned a threat in the Epigraph but hey it was a fun thought experiment.

Edited by Ookla The Frustrated

On 11/27/2020 at 7:00 AM, Isilel said:

TLR's Ascension when it was first "invented" on _Scadrial_

Hemalurgy was practiced before then.

Vegasdev

Alendi's "Piercings of the Hero"?

Brandon Sanderson

This is part of the manipulation Ruin did during the classical era on Scadrial, before the coming of the Lord Ruler. Piercings, and Hemalurgy, were part of the world before the coming of Allomancy in its modern form. Then, they were seen as a means of communicating with deity—which, indeed, they were. Ruin manipulated this to make sure any Hero of Ages who came would be under his influence. The reference is included mostly to indicate that yes, Alendi was under Ruin's influence. He ignored Rashek, though. (At least, right up to the moment when everything went 'wrong' for Ruin, when Rashek killed his chosen Hero of Ages.)

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

So what type of Fused is El... I personally think he is an Altered One, who can Soulcast, but based on other snippets, it is also possible that he is one of the Fused we have not personally seen yet (although Kaladin and co have faced them in the year-long break), the Fused with access to the Surge of Division. It's notable that the Defeated One did not say that the spikes were all one metal or any sort of different colors. Brandon is keeping that detail close to the chest, but I see it as a possibility that these metals do interact with his powers in some way. Maybe in a reverse lightning rod way, where he shoot lightning like surges of division out his back? There are many possibilities