What should be done with the shards?

Inkspren_K

What should be done with the shards?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the ideal outcome for the cosmere with regards to the shards?

• Combine them all again to reform Adonalsium
    • Leave them as 16 shards each controlled by one vessel
    • Splinter them all because no one should have that much power
    • Some combination of the above - some left individual, some combined, some splintered
    • Other?

Curious what other think, what should the fate of the shards be? As in what would be best for the cosmere? Some of these may or may not be possible at this point, but this is just a question of what would be ideal for those living in the cosmere. 

Edited by Inkspren_K

I don't think reforming Adonalsium is possible, or at least he will never be what he once was. I know we talk about it a lot here on the Shard, but to me the idea of Adonalsium kind of scares me. The power of 16 Shards? All magic systems, under one? The only benefit I see is that all the Intents will give each other context.

Leaving all the Shards alone with a Vessel also doesn't seem like a very good idea, but it's the one I like most personally. If there was a way to mix Shard's Intents to balance the Intents like Odium and Ruin, that'd be great. And the Vessels would have to be pretty ideal for this to work.

I did consider just Splintering them all, but I just think that's really sad and that Splintered Shards can be really dangerous. Honor's Perpendicularity is very unstable, Devotion and Dominion's power have become the Dor, and the prime example being... whatever happened on Threnody with Ambition.

That's just my humble opinion.

I dont think anyone should be elevated to the level of “god”

even the Shards I consider to be hands-off or relatively uninvolved, still have their hands in everything.

i would Splinter them all.

unless, on the off chance, 16 perfect vessels were found. Ones who didn’t bend to their Intent, who didn’t get involved, who dont start wars for power, or just use lower beings(everyone) to fulfill their wishes and whims

but that would never happen....

Edited by Eternal Khol

I think eventually, with all the worldhopping going on and the techno-magical developments on various worlds, as long as humans and other sapient beings (Parsh, Dragons, Whatever, honestly) will reach peace between themselves and stop competeing against each other, they won't have to worry about the shards anymore. They're starting to come up with things shards can't even expect, and if they continue transferring information, they would become very powerful- Imagine designs and giant organizations that combine fabrials and radiants, soulstamps (Tho im not sure they can be taken off sel), Feruchemical madellions and awakening combined with just, engineering and modern (or futuristic) technology- cuz sanderson says mistborn era 3 will basically be in the 80s.

What im trying to say is, when i imagine a future to the cosmere, I think of a combination of Star Trek and Lovecraftian mythos. ure, there are some ancient powerful things out here in space, but we're a collection of cultures together ready to brave that and do cool, good things. 

If 16 ancient individuals managed to destroy one giant god, why shouldnt the entirety of several human civilizations  just. end up overpowering a few small gods?

I know it may no happen because. "We outgrow God" isnt really an end narrative I would expect from a religious writer (yes he has a whole lot of diverse themes for and agaisnt religion but, theyre part of a Bigger Thing, yknow) but I think. what if there wont be a need to destroy them anymore, because they're Old News. and dont forget they can be trapped in one place too.

I think its all on purpose.

The Cosmere works the way it does cause thats the way Uncle Andy saw it.

The Shards can change things but their bound by some unknown set of rules. 

Uncle Andy died, cause thats how he saw it. And whats being played out since its death is exactly how Uncle Andy saw it. 

As Sidious would say;

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. 

Edited by Thanatos

I think combining a few Shards (no more than two) can be beneficial if done the right way. BTW we already have one example for this in Harmony which of course got a good vessel in Sazed, too. I think this might be the only solution for the Odium problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to see the shards recombined into Adonalosium. I don’t think the same consciousness would re-emerge, but it’s possible. I think of a Dark Crystal type situation. The shards merge back together to create unified god who explains my bad, I wanted to try out being split up so I let myself be killed. Now that I’m back I’ll restore the universe and then jet off the to spirit realm. 

I suspect Adolalosium planned/foresee their splitting. If a shard like Preservation can take thousands of years to die and leave behind an echo able to still take limited action, then I see no reason not to believe the consciousness of Big A is still out there, nudging things.

Is Uncle Andy the symbolic being of Determinism.

Spren could not bond in those days, cause thats how Uncle Andy saw it.

It foresaw its death and got angry, then sad. 

Uncle Andy could have stopped this, yes? so why allow it to happen?

Maybe Uncle Andy couldnt, cause its death was how it saw things. 

Determinism, Uncle Andy was a force without freewill. 

And its turtles all the way down.

Edited by Thanatos

On 11/26/2020 at 0:02 PM, Thanatos said:

I think its all on purpose.

The Cosmere works the way it does cause thats the way Uncle Andy saw it.

The Shards can change things but their bound by some unknown set of rules. 

Uncle Andy died, cause thats how he saw it. And whats being played out since its death is exactly how Uncle Andy saw it. 

As Sidious would say;

There is an opposite god to uncle andy who had a hand in his death, specifically the weapon that killed him. So I highly doubt that.

I definitely feel the troublesome shards should be combined to remove the threat they pose and leave the good ones like Endowment as they are.