The Shard of Whimsy

Guest Parallax

Each of the Shard's seem to embody more than just what their Intent implies. 

Honor - bonds, oaths, order, things working the way they should, etc

Preservation - stasis, stability, etc

Ruin - destruction, entropy, change, etc.

Whimsey might represent randomness or something like that

4 hours ago, Alisto said:

I think the randomness is being overemphasized. I think Whimsey is more likely joy or happiness distilled, much like Odium is essentially hatred.

This is how I would imagine it.

For example, perhaps you access the magic through laughter and amusement - both yours and others. I imagine a society where entertaining is considered the highest calling, and every city has some kind of theatre or arena at its center where the people gather for ritual magic that involves dueling entertainers. Perhaps these rituals provide food for the entire week, or energy to power their homes and devices.

Perhaps, on this planet, the diligent, scholarly, and serious are considered outcasts. That is, until Dalinar shows up as Odium's champion and conquers the planet. It's hard to find such brutal carnage amusing, so most of the planet falls easily as they lose access to their powers. The outcasts then must learn to develop a macabre sense of humor in order to fight back. Perhaps this plays right into Teravodium's plan though - by learning to embrace a dark sense of humor, perhaps they grow to enjoy cruelty and they join Odium's forces in marching on other planets.

Edited by Clovermite
spelling

17 hours ago, Clovermite said:

This is how I would imagine it.

For example, perhaps you access the magic through laughter and amusement - both yours and others. I imagine a society where entertaining is considered the highest calling, and every city has some kind of theatre or arena at its center where the people gather for ritual magic that involves dueling entertainers. Perhaps these rituals provide food for the entire week, or energy to power their homes and devices.

Perhaps, on this planet, the diligent, scholarly, and serious are considered outcasts. That is, until Dalinar shows up as Odium's champion and conquers the planet. It's hard to find such brutal carnage amusing, so most of the planet falls easily as they lose access to their powers. The outcasts then must learn to develop a macabre sense of humor in order to fight back. Perhaps this plays right into Teravodium's plan though - by learning to embrace a dark sense of humor, perhaps they grow to enjoy cruelty and they join Odium's forces in marching on other planets.

That actually sounds like a situation where Kelsier would do well. His original crew had quite a bit of Whimsy to it. And his ability to smile no matter how bad things got was one of the things that allowed him to inspire so many.

8 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

That actually sounds like a situation where Kelsier would do well. His original crew had quite a bit of Whimsy to it. And his ability to smile no matter how bad things got was one of the things that allowed him to inspire so many.

Oh that's a great point, I didn't think of that! I suppose Kelsier was fairly whimsical, maybe he would do well as a vessel for that shard, if its current owner ever dropped it.

1 hour ago, Clovermite said:

Oh that's a great point, I didn't think of that! I suppose Kelsier was fairly whimsical, maybe he would do well as a vessel for that shard, if its current owner ever dropped it.

THAT would be a DISASTER for the Cosmere. Whimsy would just exacerbate his unpredictability and recklessness.

And it wouldn’t suit him well at all. Kell is whimsical, but he’s also a planner, a trickster, and he has a hard edge ill suited to the Shard. Under Kell the Shard is more likely to be interpreted toward novelty or caprice, as opposed to true whimsy, which tends toward wonder, gaiety, and child-like innocence.

Whimsy is the part of us that never grows up. Honestly, the person best suited to Whimsy would be a child.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

On 27/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Whimsy could also embody curiosity and wonder. I honestly see Whimsy as being very child-like. The Kite Magic would fit it well.

The name made me think of the god Sieh, in N.K. Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy. The god of childhood, both good and bad. Whimsical, capricious, childish, etc. Also some other stuff, like childish cruelty.

• 4 weeks later...

I think people are a little too focused on shards being exactly their name. From the WOB, Harmony would think Whimsy wouldn't be helpful, but not because they are happy-go-lucky as much as unpredictable. "Alright Whimsy, my centuries of planning have come to this. Now is our moment to strike and end this war forever." "Actually, Harmony, I'm not really feeling it tonight. I think I'm just going to stay home and try to make the perfect grilled cheese." And as for Mercy, it is mercy to save a man who is lying on the battlefield bleeding out. It's also mercy to end his suffering. Do not mistake Mercy for weakness.