The Shard of Whimsy

Guest Parallax

Guest Parallax

So here is Brandon's first comment about this shard on reddit:

ImKrypton: If there was Any shard to be offered to Hoid, it would have been [Whimsy].

rdrkon: Sadly, he'd pick Endowment (there's a WoB on this). When Brandon answered this, we didn't know Whimsy existed. So... could his answer now change?

long_dickofthelaw: I'm hesitant to summon /u/mistborn but here we go. This is my question as well.

Brandon: Hoid is far too calculating and deliberate for Whimsy. It might seem his style on the surface, but a deep dive into who he is would show that it's very much not who he is.

So there you have it, based on Brandon's comment Whimsy is as close to Caprice as it gets which to my mind makes it the most terrifying shard out there (regardless of what Cultivation says about Odium!). 

A good question to ask Brandon would be why he chose Whimsy and not Caprice. Is that related to the vessel's perception of the shard? Or is there an actual difference between Whimsy and Caprice? 

Edited by Parallax
Spacing.

Without looking up definitions of either of those because it's late and I'm tired, I think there is a difference between being capricious and being whimsical.  Whimsical feels more innocent and magical, while being capricious (to me) suggests the possibility of a hidden motive, and an element of danger.

hmm. Don't forget Hoid also has a notable interest in Magic; Endowment can easily make what seem to be some of the most stable cognitive shadows in the cosmere, and the only explicit ones we've seen so far who can Worldhop. And generally with the way endowment's magic works by definition, it is great for making and sending agents in your name, and that whole side of, Secret Dealings Stuff.

I'm really curious about how Whimsy's magic will work. Is it like Wild Magic in DND, where you can't know or control what will be the exact outcome? Sanderon isn't really the type for soft magic, but how can a power that comes from a pure manifestation of Whimsy operate scientifically, where every actiong should have the same dependable result?

Edited by LiftIRL

51 minutes ago, LiftIRL said:

but how can a power that comes from a pure manifestation of Whimsy operate scientifically, where every actiong should have the same dependable result?

The Intent of a Shard doesnt determine what the magic will do.

it merely determines how the magic system is initiated/obtained

so its not like Whismy will just have some ever changing, non uniform magic or something like that

WoB

Spoiler

Chaos

Allomancy provides many very dramatic effects, which some have noted is not very much like Preservation. Could you walk me through how Allomancy is of Preservation, though it does dramatic, dynamic things?

Brandon Sanderson

One of the 'basics' of the magic in all of the worlds is that the energy of Shards can fuel all kinds of interactions, not just interactions based on their personality/role. I did this because otherwise, the Magics would all be extremely limited.

The 'role' of the Shard has to do with the WAY the magic is obtained, not what it can do. So, in Preservation's case, the magic is a gift--allowing a person to preserve their own strength, and rely upon the strength granted by the magic. While Hemalurgy has a huge cost, ending in net entropy.

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Aug. 31, 2011)

Edited by Eternal Khol

10 hours ago, Parallax said:

@Ookla the Naxdin here are the relevant dictionary definitions:

MW-1.png

MW-2.png

Capricious and whimsy are quite different in connotation. Capricious means change with little reason and is change that is "sudden, moody, or unaccountable". Capricious is more like "moody". A change in caprice can be any mood, but usually means sudden changed to the negative or a change against a plan of action to solve a problem. 

Whimsy means change for pleasure or enjoyment. There is a reason and that reason is joy or adventure or to do something spontaneous. Whimsy cannot be any mood, but usually means a sudden change to the fun or fanciful. Whimsey is much more positive in connotation than being capricious. 

To be blunt, a capricious person would be a bit of a ****, while a whimsical person would be prone to getting lost in their own head. . 

Edited by teknopathetic

2 hours ago, Criggleworth said:

I could totally see initiation to Whimsy's magic being random. Or perhaps related to being tricksters or whimsical story tellers.

We already go random and permanent. On some day you wake up and can do magic for an indeterminate period of time.

14 hours ago, Parallax said:

So there you have it, based on what Brandon's comment Whimsy is as close to Caprice as it gets which to my mind makes it the most terrifying shard out there (regardless of what Cultivation says about Odium!).

Why do people always use generalities in that? Dangerous to whom?
Most dangerous Shard to face directly: Odium
Most dangerous Shard to face indirectly: Innovation (That is a guess)
Most dangerous Shard to live under: Whimsy (Just imagine a ten year old turning into a Mistborn for a week with no prior warning)

11 hours ago, Debarra said:

People seem to have a pretty negative view of whimsy here. Whimsy to me seems pretty innocent, after talking to them Harmony doesn't seem to think they'll be any help with Odium so it's likely they aren't any use at harming people.

I'd imagine a while shard as well would just encourage it's users to be whimsical rather than forcing rng into their lives. So like painting or drawing or something.

I would say rather than a specific thing, a shard of Whimsyness would reward or encourage it's users from acting on their desires and dreams, even or especially if chasing them does not seem entirely realistic (cuz. whimsy is related not just to whims but to being fanciful, imaganitive). you could even, in an extreme move, interpret the elemant of Fancifulness, spontaneous joy or adventure, ETC as a kind of idea of 'Romanticize Your Life!' a-la a Ghibli movies and that feeling they have.
I do hope we get to see the world they influence... is there a confirmation we will get to see at least a bit of all shardworlds in the run of the cosmere? Cuz. Sanderson likes branching off, but also is obviously focusing on Stormlight and Mistborn a lot.

I could see Whimsy fitting the "mad god" archetype.  My guess is any magic is bestowed or removed at random, or tied to random things (maybe some people develop powers based on the position of the moon, whereas others get it based on the direction the wind is blowing, and so on).  I could see them being a great ally while you their attention, but a terrible obstacle if they grow bored of you.  Dealing with them would be walking a razor's edge imo.

This discussion of whether Whimsy is scary or not totally makes me think of the Whimsydale hidden level in Diablo 3 where everything is rainbows and unicorns and teddy bears that suddenly try to murder you. 

I think it can definitely go either way and be really morally ambiguous. I also think the Shard itself might have a lot of trouble settling down on one planet for any length of time.

@Truthwatcher Artifabrian if you look closely at the definitions up above, Whimsy is actually a noun, the adjective would be “whimsical”

Edited by LightReader

4 minutes ago, Truthwatcher Artifabrian said:

I think whimsy is the only shard that Brandon poorly named. All of the others are nouns, and this is an adjective!? It consistently sounds and looks wrong to me because of this.

Whimsy is a noun, while whimsical is an adjective.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:59 AM, Oltux72 said:

Why do people always use generalities in that? Dangerous to whom?
Most dangerous Shard to face directly: Odium
Most dangerous Shard to face indirectly: Innovation (That is a guess)
Most dangerous Shard to live under: Whimsy (Just imagine a ten year old turning into a Mistborn for a week with no prior warning)

On a semi-related note, I found it interesting that Mercy, who I'd have thought of as one of the less dangerous and combative Shards, worries Sazed and participated in a battle between Shards..

I don't think whimsy is necessarily gonna be childlike as some people are thinking; I think it'll be a lot like powerful fey. You can please or displease it by a strange, even unknowable set of rules. It may grant you great power, or curse your bloodline. Not malicious necessarily, but certainly something to be wary of

Edited by Stormtide_Leviathan

7 hours ago, Flyingbooks42 said:

On a semi-related note, I found it interesting that Mercy, who I'd have thought of as one of the less dangerous and combative Shards, worries Sazed and participated in a battle between Shards..

The Shard is Mercy, not Peace. Have you considered how to run a justice system under that Shard?

And obviously such a Shard is quite opposed to Harmony, as it is opposed to Honor. The first one who would let you suffer the consequences of breaking your actions and the other one wh have you punished for breaking rules. Even Cultivation clashes. What if you do not grow. Cultivation prunes and weeds.

I think "we killed you" was literal and his partner was Mercy, as with Ambition.

8 hours ago, Honorless said:

I don't think Whimsy is so... Sheogorath. They gave me the impression of being carefree and innocent.

Wow, look a volcano next to a lake! Wouldn't it be fun if it blew its top of, so that it slid into that lake? I want to see the wave!

These qualities should terrify you in a being of those power levels. There is nothing you can do about it. With Honor, there are rules. Just obey them. It may not be fun to live under him, but it is survivable. Mercy, you break a leg, and the Shard may make sure you don't suffer ... ever again. Or you want to hang a mass murderer. Mercy is not happy.
Those Shards are not as much trouble as Ruin or Odium, but there are really no good news.

16 hours ago, Dreamwa1ker said:

If Odium is God's divine hatred, would Whimsy be God's sense of humor? Because that's what I would want it to be. And I could see that tying through to irony - maybe irony being involved in how you access magic. That could definitely be both good and bad.

Dark humor is like food. Not everybody gets it.  -- Wrongly attributed to Stalin.

Again, what people or gods find funny is kind of unpredictable. Stability is underrated. What you thought about Tom & Jerry or Wily E. Coyote is probably not what the protagonists would think or experience.

I like the idea of Whimsy being the Sheogorath of the Cosmere, though I agree that Whimsy connotes more of a positive, innocent, and fanciful feeling than a madgod archetype. I'm picturing Sheogorath, but with less of his dark side in him.

Sheogorath 2.jpg

Edited by ShardplateJoe III

I see whimsy as the part of Adonalsium that created giraffes (assuming they have them somewhere), greatshells, a tidally locked planet, comets, and so forth.  It will probably be a real problem untethered from any other context (as we find many of the other Intents are) but I'd imagine anything a Cosmere resident looks at in their universe and thinks 'you know that's really cool' probably had an aspect of Whimsy in its creation.

The 16 shards (to me at least) seem to be aspects of the Abrahamic god written large and personified.  We have...

• Odium, god as the righteous smiter of evil now sadly corrupted by a lack of other traits that would provide context or restraint.
  • Endowment, god as a bestower of blessings
  • Ruin, god as a sender of plagues and destroyer of cities
  • Cultivation, god as the gardener of Eden
  • Honor, god as a maker of covenants and who demands certain moral codes are upheld
  • Dominion, the "jealous god" who will not suffer a challenge to his authority

...and so on.  Although I'm an atheist, so my interpretation of those terms might differ from that of an actual believer.

"Whimsey" strikes me not so much as a Sheogorath style mad god, but as a personification of "random acts of god".  Not necessarily insane, just prone throwing the dice and seeing what happens.  You know, the god who sends freak lightning strikes out of a clear sky one day, then ensures a random child who falls five stories into a heap of rusty nails gets to walk away without a scratch the next.

Although admittedly Sheogorath on a good day might do either of those.  Or both.  Or skip rope with the child's entrails and then revive it with the lightning strike.

As a side note, the discussion of what Whimsey's magic might entail makes me agree that unlocking it is likely to be random.  Which makes me look suspiciously at Elantris and the Shaod, which is a largely random event that grants people access to the AonDor.  Yes, I know two other shards are what empower the AonDor, but they're splintered now so they can't be said to be in control of it any more, and I can just see someone called Whimsey deciding to make its effects more random just for giggles.

3 hours ago, Mulk said:

I see whimsy as the part of Adonalsium that created giraffes (assuming they have them somewhere), greatshells, a tidally locked planet, comets, and so forth.  It will probably be a real problem untethered from any other context (as we find many of the other Intents are) but I'd imagine anything a Cosmere resident looks at in their universe and thinks 'you know that's really cool' probably had an aspect of Whimsy in its creation.

What if planet had big storm all the time? What if it carried investiture? What if crab?