Kaladin’s medical path

Koloss17

I’m so happy to see kaladin tackle mental illness and advance the medical field in the shattered plains. He seemed to have finally found his purpose. I really hope that he can continue on that path, even after he got over his battle trauma.

Edited by Koloss17

I really wanted more of this in the book. I was pretty disappointed when the plot took Kaladin away from that and toward skulking around Urithiru and hiding, which I personally found more boring. I would LOVE to see more of Kaladin working to revolutionize the Mental Health Industrial Complex (a bit tongue-in-cheek) on Roshar, and seeking help for his own mental illnesses along the way. 

My hopes for Kaladin are now just that he survives book 5 so he can spend all the time in the gap between 5 and 6 becoming Roshar's first psychologist. I would love to see a mature mental health expert in the back 5, who maybe finds a lady love though I am way less invested in that as I am in him becoming the world expert on mental health.

6 hours ago, Nesh said:

After this book I feel like Kaladin missed his calling as an Edgedancer

I think we were all expecting the Edgedancers to be Rosharan therapists so when it turned out to be Kaladin I was so surprised. And then instantly excited. It really fits him so well. That moment when he rescues Noril is one of the parts of the book that had me tearing up. 

Edited by Philomath

1 minute ago, Philomath said:

I think we were all expecting the Edgedancers to be Rosharan therapists so when it turned out to be Kaladin I was so surprised. And then instantly excited. It really fits him so well. That moment when he rescues Noril is one of the parts of the book that had me tearing up. 

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong Kaladin's a great Windrunner, but he'd make an excellent Edgedancer as well.

3 minutes ago, Nesh said:

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong Kaladin's a great Windrunner, but he'd make an excellent Edgedancer as well.

Agreed. Mostly. The one thing I think Kaladin misses out on as an Edgedancer is that he misses out on details. He often has to get pointed to solving problems versus noticing them on his own. (Think all the Bridge 4 perspectives in OB.) Once he realizes something is off, he does his best to address it, but he is much more big picture than small details. I found it interesting that on Brandon’s Knight’s Radiant quiz that the two groups were so closely related. Many people had them near the same or tied. (I personally feel more like an Edgedancer, but Windrunner was like a point higher because I like camping... and on a quiz related note, my one pet peeve was how the Windrunners info only related to how they are good in war/battle, not in general like everyone else. I fit the Windrunners, but am basically a pacifist so where do I fit?)

1 hour ago, Philomath said:

Agreed. Mostly. The one thing I think Kaladin misses out on as an Edgedancer is that he misses out on details. He often has to get pointed to solving problems versus noticing them on his own. (Think all the Bridge 4 perspectives in OB.) Once he realizes something is off, he does his best to address it, but he is much more big picture than small details. I found it interesting that on Brandon’s Knight’s Radiant quiz that the two groups were so closely related. Many people had them near the same or tied. (I personally feel more like an Edgedancer, but Windrunner was like a point higher because I like camping... and on a quiz related note, my one pet peeve was how the Windrunners info only related to how they are good in war/battle, not in general like everyone else. I fit the Windrunners, but am basically a pacifist so where do I fit?)

The oaths are about making a change so I'm not sure his current failings would disqualify him from being an Edgedancer.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:42 PM, wordspren said:

I really wanted more of this in the book. I was pretty disappointed when the plot took Kaladin away from that and toward skulking around Urithiru and hiding, which I personally found more boring. I would LOVE to see more of Kaladin working to revolutionize the Mental Health Industrial Complex (a bit tongue-in-cheek) on Roshar, and seeking help for his own mental illnesses along the way. 

Honestly, I want him to choose to stick behind to help those that are in need of mental help. That would be great. Don’t think it’ll happen, but would still be great.