What did the listeners want to get out of the Everstorm

Tai-na

I am confused as to whether the listeners expected the Fused to return to Roshar when they summoned the Everstorm. They assassinated Gavilar in order to prevent the Fused from returning. As far as I understand it, they didn't want the Fused to come back and dominate their people. Could they have summoned the Everstorm in such a way that the Fused wouldn't have returned? Was summoning the Fused a way of acknowledging that they had no chance of winning the war against the humans without the help of the Fused?

2 hours ago, Tai-na said:

I am confused as to whether the listeners expected the Fused to return to Roshar when they summoned the Everstorm. They assassinated Gavilar in order to prevent the Fused from returning. As far as I understand it, they didn't want the Fused to come back and dominate their people. Could they have summoned the Everstorm in such a way that the Fused wouldn't have returned? Was summoning the Fused a way of acknowledging that they had no chance of winning the war against the humans without the help of the Fused?

I think most of them didn't want to summon it, but Venli and a few others did after they took control, and that's why a lot of the listeners left the Shattered Plains.

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

The Listeners took Stormform because they thought it would help them fight and defend themselves against the Alethi.

Once in Stormform, they're influenced/taken over by the voidspren in their gemhearts, so they're ignoring everything they wanted before being taken over.

4 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

Without giving any spoilers, this is fairly well answered in RoW in the Venli/Eshonai flashbacks.

That’s why I was wondering about this in the first place. I was a quarter of the way through RoW when I was trying to think back and understand why the summoning of the Everstorm didn’t add up for me. I still have a few hundred pages to get through. Still waiting on the definitive answer. Thanks for the response. Now I am even more eager to finish the book. 

On 11/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, Tai-na said:

The Listener's behavior was influenced by the combination of years of war with the humans driving them to desperation, and the fact that while in stormform (a regal form) they were subjected to Odium's influence even at the cost of their own self-interest or self-preservation.

It's also worth noting that the Listener's had a very partial understanding of their gods, since they only had the old songs to work off of. They didn't know what the fused were specifically or how they functioned in Odium's hierarchy. And that as RoW illustrates, even Venli and her inner circle were rather in the dark about what summoning the everstorm would actually curtail.