Theory: Reviving Deadeyes and Adolin and Shallan's Next Quest

AutumnWell

RHYTHM OF WAR SPOILERS!

TL;DR: Adolin and Shallan release Ba-Ado-Mishram and revive all the Deadeyes.

Some Tinfoil And Some Facts

After completing WoR, I had a big question I never asked 'cause I thought Stormfather was exaggerating what had happened... but I'll come back to this point in a min.

What are Deadeyes? Spren whose bonded radiant broke their oaths. But isn't the cost too high? Humans who can't keep their oath lose their Surgebinding at the cost of a dead spren?

After reading RoW, we know what happens to a spren whose Radiant broke their oaths after the Recreance. Testament died after Recreance when Shallan broke her oaths... err, truths?

Now back to my first point. Stormfather told Kaladin that he killed Syl. Back then I assumed he was lying and Syl will just return to Shadesmar after their bond breaks completely, which never happened. Now that I think about it, Stormfather wasn't lying. Syl would have died if her bond with Kal broke completely.

Read This Before Conclusion

Syl said this about Honorblades:

“No. But Kaladin, you have to understand. With this sword, someone can do what you can, but without the . . . checks a spren requires.”

If a Spren reqiure checks, will it just die if the the requirements are not met. I don't think so.

Maya agrees with me:

Eventually, she shook her head and whispered, “Pain. Yes. Death? No. Maybe.”

Spren thought they will suffer from pain, not death.

And Kalak says:

please find Mishram and release her. Not just for her own good. For the good of all spren.
For I believe that in confining her, we have caused a greater wound to Roshar than any ever realized.

I certainly think this is related to formation of Deadeyes after a Radiant break oaths after the Recreance

The Conclusion

Before Ba-Ado-Misharm was imprisoned, a spren would not die if their Radiant broke their oaths. They would just be sent back to Shadesmar.

And ever since the Recreance, any broken bond results to death of the spren.

But why Ba-Ado-Mishram is so important? How can an Unmade scar Roshar in such ways? I think Ba-Ado, and all the unmade for the fact, were once of Honor and Cultivation with important roles in Rosharan Spiritual ecology. Later currupted by Oduium. But that's another theory for another day.

Adolin and Shallan's arc is now going towards reviving the Deadeyes. Maya and Adoin have been theorized for long. Now we have Shallan and Testament too.

I think Adolin and Shallan's next quest will be to find Ba-Ado and free her. In freeing her, they will revive the Deadeyes.

Another Tinfoil Titbit

Ba-Ado-Mishram was once tasked to check Surgebinding in ways that it remains safe and whatever happened to Ashyn is not repeated.

She kept doing it even after Odium Unmade her 'cause Odium don't want to destroy Roshar either.

After her imprisonment, Radiants and their spren realized that Nahel bonds are no longer safe and decided to break them.

Edited by AutumnWell
formatting

I agree with everything except:

I think Ba-Ado, and all the unmade for the fact, were once of Honor and Cultivation

I would guess they predate Honor/Cultivation. There are hints this is the case for the Stormfather. And it would make the name 'Unmade' make sense, Odium unmade them by corrupting their intents and turning them into something new.

Edited by Bremen

I agree that Ba-Ado-Mishram needs to be released to allow Deadeyes to heal. I don't think it will happen automatically upon their release, as they'll need to find a new bond, but it will make it possible to fully heal. I also predict the release will also "unlock" other spren that were "harmed" by the capture. Things like the Sibling no longer being able to produce light on their own. Maybe Cudacesh (sp?) purpose will be revealed.

16 hours ago, Bremen said:

I agree with everything except:

I would guess they predate Honor/Cultivation. There are hints this is the case for the Stormfather. And it would make the name 'Unmade' make sense, Odium unmade them by corrupting their intents and turning them into something new.

Yes, that could be true. Maybe Odium Unmade every 'higher-er' spren he could find after coming to Roshar. Meanwhile Honor and Cultivation invested Stormfather and Nightwather respectively. But then what about the Sibling? Urithiru was created later right?

1 hour ago, AutumnWell said:

Yes, that could be true. Maybe Odium Unmade every 'higher-er' spren he could find after coming to Roshar. Meanwhile Honor and Cultivation invested Stormfather and Nightwather respectively. But then what about the Sibling? Urithiru was created later right?

From Venli's Stoneshaping exercises and some of the off-handed comments from Raboniel about the human decoration of Urithiru, it's hinted that the tower was originally home to the Singers.  According to the Sibling (or maybe it was Raboniel...),  the Sibling was created of Honor and Cultivation specifically.  This is certainly open to interpretation, but my take is that the Tower existed, and then after the war began Ur was Invested with the Sibling and became Urithuru.

41 minutes ago, kaellok said:

From Venli's Stoneshaping exercises and some of the off-handed comments from Raboniel about the human decoration of Urithiru, it's hinted that the tower was originally home to the Singers.  According to the Sibling (or maybe it was Raboniel...),  the Sibling was created of Honor and Cultivation specifically.  This is certainly open to interpretation, but my take is that the Tower existed, and then after the war began Ur was Invested with the Sibling and became Urithuru.

Ah yes! That makes sense.

I largely agree, but there's a confounding variable here.  Right around the same time BAM was captured, Honor was dying (as shown by the gradual failing of Urithiru noted in the gemstone archive around the same time they were planning the capture of BAM.)  Both of those events could result in dangerous changes to the functioning of spiritual bonds and because they happened so close to one another it's difficult to pry apart which event caused which specific failures.