Kaladin’s slavebrands

Gloomspren

Ok kaladin’s slave brands have scabbed and come OFF AFTER 4 BOOKS!! Totally thought about posting about this in kaladin’s character arc thread but I think this specifically is interesting because it means that he doesn’t consider being a dangerous slave as part of his identity anymore, which is pretty crazy.

I’m not going to lie even though I LOVED his development through row and wouldn’t want it any other way... I’m going to miss the slave brands. They were ICONIC, and all the residents of urithiru who painted on shash would agree with me. Is anyone else mourning them? 

Part of this might be because I can’t really figure out what part(s) of his character arc in row could have triggered this change in how kaladin sees himself... did anyone notice anything that might have been critical to this change? Overall he came to terms with loss and his own mental health but... I feel as though his identity as an enslaved and branded person who has lived through horrors to get where he is were not directly challenged? Perhaps it was more a letting go of his past horrors and not brooding on them development? (Maybe this is also because I just bought a beanie with his slave brands and he doesn’t even have them anymore :P)

I think it's because he closely tied his slavery with his failure to to protect his brother and squad. They were a constant reminder of the failures that were preventing him from saying the 4th Ideal and once he let go and accepted that he can't protect everyone they didn't hold so fast on to him anymore. He was finally free so to speak

In the end of the book, when reflecting on Teft's death, Kaladin realizes that he still feels pain and grief, but he's let go of his shame. That's what the slave brands symbolized, to me - the shame at not saving those he loves. The idea that, deep down, he still deserves to be a slave. When he finally overcame that through the fourth ideal, they finally healed. (I think that's also the same reason that his tattoo didn't stick - he didn't see himself as redeemed from his past).

5 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

But can he have "Bridge Four" tattooed on his forehead now?

Actually... when the rest of B4 became Radiants, did their tats stay on?

He has the bridge 4 symbol "tattooed" onto his shardplate, so at least there's that. Pretty sure the rest of bridge 4 still has their tattoos.

This was honestly the most emotional part of the book for me. Obviously this whole section is super emotional, Teft and Moash and Tien and 4th Ideal and Lirin, and allllll of it, but watching his scars finally heal tied it all together in a way that was just beautiful. I think that everything else was building up to that exact moment. It’s the emotional climax of the book imo. 

I agree whole-heartedly. The brands flaking off was an incredible moment. And, I loved it.as Ookla said, it tied everything together at the end. Which... is why it hurts me to say this: I don't think it should have happened here. Oh, it makes perfect sense. One-hundred percent, the brands being tied to the fourth oath is perfect. But(and keep in mind I'm saying this without vital information), I think it would have been a little better had they come off with the fifth oath. It could have marked the "end of his arc" so to speak. He would have grown into the person the Oaths wanted him to be. And, in doing so, he would have grown beyond the scars.

However! Had they flaked away with the fifth oath... It might have felt a bit too cliche or cheesy or... whatever word you want to use.

So, yeah. I am completely happy with the brands coming off. It just leaves me without any idea where Kal will grow from here. His inability to let go was his thing. I have no clue what the fifth oath could possibly be now.

Man... this was kinda all over the place...

17 minutes ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

I have no clue what the fifth oath could possibly be now.

My guess is it’s going to be something along the lines of helping others reach the same truths that he has. Helping others protect, helping others realize that they aren’t perfect. We already have the basis for that in his helping the other depressed people. 

1 hour ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

, I think it would have been a little better had they come off with the fifth oath. It could have marked the "end of his arc" so to speak.

Kaladin losing his scars at the fourth oath reminds me of Taravangian killing Rayse at the end of the fourth book. Not surprised it happened, but surprised it happened so soon and wondering where the story's going to go next.