Stoneshaping on another world?

stimj

When looking through the Ars Arcanum I noticed a surprising tidbit on Stoneshaping:

Fortunately, in my explorations, it appears that Stoneshaping is far less ... explosive of a power, bounded by the rules that Honor placed upon it to protect from the mistakes that happened on Yolen

Seems like either 1) this is a typo (should read Ashyn), 2) Ashyn _is_ Yolen, or 3) Stoneshaping is actually based on an older magic system.  Do we have evidence or WoB elsewhere of stoneshaping happening on Yolen?

So WoB has mentioned that Microkinesis (the movement of small objects) was a form of magic present on Yolen. Khriss refers to it in the same Ars Arcanum:

What I initially dismissed as an inferior form of microkinesis is, indeed, much more focused and—in some ways—more remarkable.

She said this regarding Stoneshaping, so I assume she means that this is more dangerous than Stoneshaping, which I can see for obvious reasons.

Lightweaving on Roshar is similar to Lightweaving as practiced by Hoid (from Yolen). Roshar has a very primal (per the Cosmere) magic system with direct Investiture (Stormlight), direct Connection (spren) and controlled Intent (rules binding its use through Oaths and limiting its potential). If Yolen had direct access to Investiture, it might have had similar "surgebindings". This little snippet is mainly there to provide a tiny view of what might be coming in Dragonsteel, which now looks to have similar "surges" as Roshar with less controls.

1 minute ago, DracostarA said:

So WoB has mentioned that Microkinesis (the movement of small objects) was a form of magic present on Yolen. Khriss refers to it in the same Ars Arcanum:

She said this regarding Stoneshaping, so I assume she means that this is more dangerous than Stoneshaping, which I can see for obvious reasons.

Adding a tiny bit of pressure to the center of a rock can cause a very large explosion depending on the makeup of the rock. I have a feeling the "mistakes" she refers to are these types of mistakes.  Practicers of microkinesis might end up with more power than sense, creating explosions in rock where they just wanted to shape something; where Stoneshapers are given a bit more control by virtue of the stone having a better understanding of the surgebinder's Intent and helping the change along.

2 hours ago, Leuthie said:

Adding a tiny bit of pressure to the center of a rock can cause a very large explosion depending on the makeup of the rock. I have a feeling the "mistakes" she refers to are these types of mistakes.  Practicers of microkinesis might end up with more power than sense, creating explosions in rock where they just wanted to shape something; where Stoneshapers are given a bit more control by virtue of the stone having a better understanding of the surgebinder's Intent and helping the change along.

Doesn’t microkinesis allow for nuclear blasts?

On 11/24/2020 at 8:46 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Doesn’t microkinesis allow for nuclear blasts?

I’m not sure how much of this we are allowed to discuss, so I will put it under spoilers for Dragonsteel (Unpublished). Mods, please feel free to strike me down like the poor sod I am.

Dragonsteel:

Spoiler

Microkinesis is essentially the manipulation of individual atoms (or axi, on Roshar) and per WoB  appears to allow for nuclear detonation. I agree that this is what the Arcanum seems to be implying with the “mistakes on Yolen”

1 hour ago, honorblades said:

I’m not sure how much of this we are allowed to discuss, so I will put it under spoilers for Dragonsteel (Unpublished). Mods, please feel free to strike me down like the poor sod I am.

Dragonsteel:

Hide contents

Microkinesis is essentially the manipulation of individual atoms (or axi, on Roshar) and per WoB  appears to allow for nuclear detonation. I agree that this is what the Arcanum seems to be implying with the “mistakes on Yolen”

You read Dragonsteel?! I am SOOOO jealous!