Paladin Brewer

What determines the form of the investiture?

8 posts in this topic

So, maybe someone has the answer to this but it popped into my head last night. What determines the form of the investiture? Like, in Mistborn you have 3 powers, and they all rely on metal (I know the metal itself is not investiture, but you follow me). In Stormlight, again, it's all Light based, though it's coming from different shards.  We didn't really get to experience Dominion and Devotion, so hard to say there. Anyway I don't really believe in coincidence and I don't think Brandon would be that sloppy of a writer, I just find it odd that maybe one of them wasn't light and one was metal, or something else. Do I make sense, or is this just not a big deal?

In not sure i quite understand what you’re saying.

are you asking what determines what the Investiture(magic) ends up being, on each planet.(i.e. why is scadrial metal? Why is roshar light/spren?)

If that is your question. This WoB will be of use.

Questioner

From what I understand, Ruin and Preservation create the world together, and they created humanity as copies of the original humankind. So how did they give Allomancy to Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So the magic systems are kind of built into the setting and the world. And there are certain natural pathways that exist, in the same way there are certain natural pathways for them to create life. Which is my explanation for why life is so similar on all the different planets, is that they're following natural pathways, and these magics are kind of the same way. For instance, Lightweaving predates the Shattering of Adonalsium. A lot of these other things are suggestive of magics that existed before that were built around Adonalsium. They weren't 100% created by the Shards, but they also do have the Shards' influence on them.

Skyward San Diego signing (Nov. 7, 2018)

Edited by Eternal Khol

Yeah that kind of answers it...not so much of a "why" just...it's a natural pathway, I'll go with that :D

Think of it this way: Investiture can do anything, but it is more inclined to do certain things because it has been doing those things for a very long time, creating a well-worn path, along which it is inclined to flow. That's what these natural pathways are, which is why the magics are so similar, they follow or branch from the same paths.

9 hours ago, Honorless said:

Think of it this way: Investiture can do anything, but it is more inclined to do certain things because it has been doing those things for a very long time, creating a well-worn path, along which it is inclined to flow. That's what these natural pathways are, which is why the magics are so similar, they follow or branch from the same paths.

Yeah but I guess my point was, what's the chance of the different magic systems that have the same "natural path" ending up on the same planet together.

11 minutes ago, Paladin Brewer said:

Yeah but I guess my point was, what's the chance of the different magic systems that have the same "natural path" ending up on the same planet together.

Very high! The planet itself would be inclined towards certain types of magics.

47 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Very high! The planet itself would be inclined towards certain types of magics.

That was basically my question :) I was wondering if some outside source was effecting the state the investiture took. Like I didn't think Odium's magic would "always" be light and they just all happened to be attracted to eachother, so I was curious to what might be determining that. Maybe that made sense, I haven't had enough caffeine yet.

20 hours ago, Paladin Brewer said:

We didn't really get to experience Dominion and Devotion, so hard to say there.

It's actually pretty easy to figure out the mold that Selish magics fit into when you look at what all the known systems have in common and Brandon has confirmed that it's form-based. Brandon likens the magics to programming, and getting the code just right is necessary to attain the proper result. In this case, it means drawing the Aons properly, performing the right sequence of movements in ChayShan and so on.

2 hours ago, Paladin Brewer said:

Like I didn't think Odium's magic would "always" be light and they just all happened to be attracted to eachother, so I was curious to what might be determining that.

There's another couple WoBs on this which makes it clear that magic in the Rosharan system has essentially been following the mold that Adonalsium already established, which is why all three planets have similar elements even though the Shards actively involved on the worlds differ. Also that the Big A was directly involved in some of the pre-Shattering limitations.

Questioner

I want to know if there was Stormlight before Honor.

Brandon Sanderson

So before Honor arrived there was a proto-version of the storms and a version of Stormlight. Yes.

Questioner

Okay, but it was different?

Brandon Sanderson

It-- Things were different.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

Pod

You’ve said that you would call Surgebinding, Voidbinding, and fabrials the three magics on Roshar. Would it be more accurate to say that Surgebinding followed and emulated fabrials and/orthe possibility of fabrials or vice versa?

Brandon Sanderson

Vice versa. Fabrials are... generally, Surgebinders first, fabrials second. 

Pod

So you couldn’t have done fabrials when it was just Adonalsium. 

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, before the [Shattering]? *deep in thought mmming*

Pod

Would the spren have still been able to do Surges then?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say... no. No, Adonalsium probably would not have let that happen. You could theoretically do it, if Adonalsium allowed it. 

Pod

He had boundaries against it. 

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So, I would say no. 

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Pod (paraphrased)

You said at the Starsight release that [Adonalsium] was intentionally preventing the spren from accessing Surges through fabrials and such pre-Shattering. Was this a passive or active effect?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It was kind of both - the way [Adonalsium] worked was just that the way he saw the world [magic] was the way the world [magic] worked. He didn't want the spren to be able to do that, so they couldn't.

American Fork High School Signing (Dec. 12, 2019)

Consequently, whatever Shard(s) ended up in the Rosharan System, their magics would develop based on the 'pathway' that Adonalsium established way back when. The big contribution the specific Shards make is that they dictate how you get access to the magic, though as noted in the above WoB the lack of Adonalsium's former influence also means that Rosharan magic can now do things that generally could not be done before.

Edited by Weltall