Kaladin's Grandmother [Discuss]

Lightspine

This is something that might have crossed almost everybody's minds during the Hesina Interlude, but I haven't seen a post about it yet.

We know from this WoB that one of Kaladin's maternal grandparents was lighteyed:

Questioner

Are both of Kaladin's maternal... grandparents darkeyes?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Good question. I think you're the first one to pull that out of me...

There's one question, or two questions in [the signing line], that I know are driving your brains crazy, that are not as clear-cut in my answers as you might assume they are. One is about Kaladin's mother.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

In the Hesina Interlude, she remarks the following in reference to her father:

"He wouldn't give up his business that easily, Lirin. He's stubborn as a lighteyes—he'd order his guards to fight, even when everyone else had surrendered."

And her father would use a sword. Under a special writ of forbearance from the citylord, who—even decades ago—had been accustomed to doing whatever her father bullied him into doing.

- Rhythm of War, Chapter I-10, Page 1056 of the U.S. Hardcover

I didn't catch the sword thing in my first read-through, so I'll reiterate what it means. Hesina's father would not normally be allowed to use a sword, but he has been granted an exception. Along with a comparison to a lighteyes that would otherwise make no sense, this is pretty strong evidence that he is darkeyed. This means that Kaladin's maternal grandmother must be the lighteyed one.

I don't really have anything to add besides speculation. It seems like Kaladin's grandfather was a darkeyed businessman rich enough to marry somebody lighteyed. Hesina doesn't mention her mother at all in this Interlude, as far as I can tell, so we don't know anything about her. The citylord who Hesina's father bullied is almost definitely lighteyed—even small towns like Hearthstone have lighteyed citylords, and I'm pretty sure they must be lighteyed anyway—so is Hesina's mother of even higher standing?

Edit: (additional speculation) the lack of mention of Hesina's mother might actually be significant. Lirin specifically only remarks about whether or not her father is alive. This may be an indication that Hesina's mother is already dead

Edited by Lightspine

3 minutes ago, LiftIRL said:

I think Sanderson said somewhere- I can't remember where, but i'll arcanum search it later- that Kaladin is distantly related, blood-wise, to Aesudan, Elhokar's wife, so yeah.

Ah yes, here it is:

Stormlightning

Is Kaladin related to Aesudan?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's not a close relation. A very complex system of things, but yes.

Stormlightning

I was just wondering why he knew her...the melody she was humming.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, he did. That is not because they're related.

Stormlightning

So it's something else?

Brandon Sanderson

It's something else. I thought that was a sideways question about Kaladin's mom.

Stormlightning

It kinda was, I thought maybe she hummed that and so that's why he recognized it.

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

I guess this implies Kaladin's grandmother was the one who provides this distant relationship. I don't know what else to conclude from this, especially since we know nothing about Aesudan's family. 

5 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

We learn that Hesina's home city was Tomat, which is on the map of Alethekar.  It's the far southwest corner of Sadeas' territory, very the border with Vamah's lands, and also very near Herdaz and Jah Kaved.

fdsfsg can you IMAGINE how lopen would react if we find out Kaladin has some distant ancient family connection to Herdaz?

It could be possible that the relation of Kaladins maternal grandmother and Aesudan grandmother or grandfather was like a close friendship (similar to how second or third cousins or even great great uncles are kind of friends but don't really see themselves as family?)  it could explain why Aesudan knew the song, because his grandmother. 
Or it could be Kaladins grandmother was engaged to a relative of Aesudan but chose a dark eyed business man. I have a feeling light eyes would have liked to keep it in the family so having his grandmother engaged to a distant relative would have been seen as the norm. 
I hope these two possibilities make sense? 

3 hours ago, Eris said:

It could be possible that the relation of Kaladins maternal grandmother and Aesudan grandmother or grandfather was like a close friendship (similar to how second or third cousins or even great great uncles are kind of friends but don't really see themselves as family?)  it could explain why Aesudan knew the song, because his grandmother. 
Or it could be Kaladins grandmother was engaged to a relative of Aesudan but chose a dark eyed business man. I have a feeling light eyes would have liked to keep it in the family so having his grandmother engaged to a distant relative would have been seen as the norm. 
I hope these two possibilities make sense? 

Second and third cousins don’t see themselves as family? Since when? Not in my family! We find one common relative in the past history, however distant, and we’re family!

2 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Second and third cousins don’t see themselves as family? Since when? Not in my family! We find one common relative in the past history, however distant, and we’re family!

That might be just my family then because I never saw my second cousins or great aunt as family but family friends. Just a strange family dynamic I guess

18 hours ago, Lightspine said:

This is something that might have crossed almost everybody's minds during the Hesina Interlude, but I haven't seen a post about it yet.

We know from this WoB that one of Kaladin's maternal grandparents was lighteyed:

In the Hesina Interlude, she remarks the following in reference to her father:

I didn't catch the sword thing in my first read-through, so I'll reiterate what it means. Hesina's father would not normally be allowed to use a sword, but he has been granted an exception. Along with a comparison to a lighteyes that would otherwise make no sense, this is pretty strong evidence that he is darkeyed. This means that Kaladin's maternal grandmother must be the lighteyed one.

I don't really have anything to add besides speculation. It seems like Kaladin's grandfather was a darkeyed businessman rich enough to marry somebody lighteyed. Hesina doesn't mention her mother at all in this Interlude, as far as I can tell, so we don't know anything about her. The citylord who Hesina's father bullied is almost definitely lighteyed—even small towns like Hearthstone have lighteyed citylords, and I'm pretty sure they must be lighteyed anyway—so is Hesina's mother of even higher standing?

Edit: (additional speculation) the lack of mention of Hesina's mother might actually be significant. Lirin specifically only remarks about whether or not her father is alive. This may be an indication that Hesina's mother is already dead

I don't think Lighteyes is the only option here.

There are many other races in Roshar that Kal could be part - Horneater, Herdazian (my guess), etc.