Kind of a guilty secret

Kered

So, I was recently typing up a theory in the RoW discussion area and something occurred to me and I was wondering if anyone else was this way. 

Whenever I'm typing up a theory in a discussion with other shard members about cosmere lore, i hedge my bets with a ton of ambiguous language lol. Using "maybe" "kinda" "sorta" "could it be a possibility", etc. I strictly do this to be able to wiggle out an opinion because I'm nervous about holes getting poked in the theories and looking dumb lol. Literally no rationality for this, most of the time I don't even notice I'm doing it. This apply to anyone else? 

Just now, Kered said:

So, I was recently typing up a theory in the RoW discussion area and something occurred to me and I was wondering if anyone else was this way. 

Whenever I'm typing up a theory in a discussion with other shard members about cosmere lore, i hedge my bets with a ton of ambiguous language lol. Using "maybe" "kinda" "sorta" "could it be a possibility", etc. I strictly do this to be able to wiggle out an opinion because I'm nervous about holes getting poked in the theories and looking dumb lol. Literally no rationality for this, most of the time I don't even notice I'm doing it. This apply to anyone else? 

Yep,I do that as well. It's pretty  normal, actually. 

1 hour ago, Kered said:

Oh yeah, I definitely do this.  I live in dire fear of being confronted for being dumb.

1 hour ago, Kered said:

It's normal, especially when you don't want to assert something you're not sure of or don't want to sound assertive at all and just start a discussion. I will say maybe don't use the "It was just my opinion" defense and just admit that you made a mistake, it happens and nobody will think less of you for that, but if you use that defense, I guarantee people are going to roll their eyes and not want to argue with you, because it will seem whenever it looks like your position is getting rocky you'll go to that defense rather than trying to discuss you're position.

Take it from me, I've done many a theory and have been confronted for missing details, like a scene where someone uses a lashing with plate, completely disproving what I suggested, and I just admitted I had missed that. Nobody said anything more, it just happened, you learned something, and you continue making theories.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

I mean I'm afraid to have fun and engaging debate. One of the most mentally cathartic things I can do, personally. It's literally just irrational that I do it in the sense that I know the worlds not going to end and I won't be embarrassed if I'm proven wrong in a logical way. 

1 minute ago, Kered said:

I mean I'm afraid to have fun and engaging debate. One of the most mentally cathartic things I can do, personally. It's literally just irrational that I do it in the sense that I know the worlds not going to end and I won't be embarrassed if I'm proven wrong in a logical way. 

I'm not very shy in this regard, so I'm not sure what to suggest on overcoming that, but if you don't want to debate, just don't answer. Maybe someone will suggest what you were going to say and you'll get to see the debate unfold. And if someone says you got something wrong and you agree, just say thanks. They'll react nicely to someone who takes defeat with a smile. 

And remember, if you ever need to, you can just change your name and PFP.

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

I'm not very shy in this regard, so I'm not sure what to suggest on overcoming that, but if you don't want to debate, just don't answer. Maybe someone will suggest what you were going to say and you'll get to see the debate unfold. And if someone says you got something wrong and you agree, just say thanks. They'll react nicely to someone who takes defeat with a smile. 

And remember, if you ever need to, you can just change your name and PFP.

17th Shard Witness Protection Program. 

19 minutes ago, Invocation said:

My first post on this site was questioning if Reckoners was cosmere.
There is nowhere lower I can go than that.
I have no shame left.

I love how that a meme, becuase I thought skyward and recknor's might be in the Cosmere somehow in my first read but thankfully found out they were separate before joining. (And believe me, that was a relief.)

8 hours ago, Kered said:

We won't judge you if you make a mistake! It'll be fine.

There's a couple ways to address ambiguity in your arguments. 

The acceptable way: Use your "I feel" statements. Like "I feel Kaladin needs a Snickers" or "I believe everything will be resolved through the introduction of fan fiction into the Cosmere." It flows better and communicates that you know you could be wrong, but right now based on evidence available to you, this is what you adductively think. 

The right way: Just proclaim your wildest theories as gospel truth (Kaladin is 4 sperns in a trenchcoat!) and question the most obvious facts (Is Syl really a spern? Maybe she's the only human on Roshar!):D

On 11/23/2020 at 10:25 PM, Kered said:

Yes... because I’ve been writing papers for psychology classes. Everything is ‘this could mean’ ‘this may indicate’. Nothing is absolute.

On 11/26/2020 at 0:21 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Yes... because I’ve been writing papers for psychology classes. Everything is ‘this could mean’ ‘this may indicate’. Nothing is absolute.

That line is an absolute, so you're wrong.

I get what you're saying tho, especially with theories where your taking evidence to make a conclusion when that evidence can easily go another way.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 9:25 PM, Kered said:

storms yes

On 11/23/2020 at 11:29 PM, Invocation said:

My first post on this site was questioning if Reckoners was cosmere.
There is nowhere lower I can go than that.
I have no shame left.

And to think you were one of the first to greet me on the Shard. You've come a long way.

Edited by Hoid the Drifter