Shrieking Shardblades (whole book spoiler)

Erklitt

From several threads here I got the impression that now, after Maya's statements, it is accepted Recreance history (among readers, not in-world!) that the spren and Radiants together decided to sever the bonds. But how does that fit with the shrieking Blades? It's not just pain, Relis' blade at the duel in WoR clearly makes an accusation, as he answers: 'What is it? What is it? No, I didn't kill you!' That doesn't sound like Relis' blade chose like Maya did. 

So I would guess it wasn't such an unanimous decision, releasing the old Radiants from all guilt. There'll have been more nuance than that. What do you think?

Edited by Erklitt

While I do like that twist in the story, (and several folks here called it years ago) I have a really hard time believing that no one in spren culture was aware that radiant spren were willing participants in the Recreance. I can understand the honorspren, since it was essentially all of them, but I feel like at least unbonded Highspren would know.

Anyways, I agree. It seems to be inconsistent. I had forgotten this scene until you mentioned it.. I'm actually unsure why Relis would hear it at all.

7 minutes ago, Solant said:

I'm actually unsure why Relis would hear it at all.

Kaladin was touching Relis' Shardblade in a 'Last Clap' (I think that's what it was called?). I read that as: Blades can only be heard when touched by a Radiant, but then anyone else touching them is able to hear them too.

3 hours ago, Erklitt said:

It's not just pain, Relis' blade at the duel in WoR clearly makes an accusation, as he answers: 'What is it? What is it? No, I didn't kill you!' That doesn't sound like Relis' blade chose like Maya did.

I thought it was Pattern. Didn't Shallan send him to distract the fighters?

3 hours ago, Solant said:

While I do like that twist in the story, (and several folks here called it years ago) I have a really hard time believing that no one in spren culture was aware that radiant spren were willing participants in the Recreance. I can understand the honorspren, since it was essentially all of them, but I feel like at least unbonded Highspren would know.

I think they kept it a secret to discourage new spren from bonding. "You want to bond a human? Yikes! My human betrayed me, and so did his human and her human."