Why is world hopping so secretive in world?

Kacman

At this point it seems like a bit of a stretch that other planets and worldhoppers aren't more common knowledge on Roshar, especially among the educated and elite. Roshar has one of the most travelled cognitive realms of any of the planets with Shadesmar. We've seen an Elantrian there, goods from Nalthis, and now a trade delegation from Nalthis. Ghostbloods and 17th shard are both active on the planet and possibly others. Khriss knows about everywhere and is presumably writing for other people who are aware of all the planets too. We've got Terrismen in addition to Felt from Scadrial. We also know from WoB that the pits of Hathsin were a trade center hundreds of years ago and presumably some Rosharans were there too. Spren are almost definitely aware of worldhoppers but haven't felt the need to tell any of the humans. The stormfather has to know that worldhoppers are there and that some have likely used his perpendicularity but hasn't told Dalinar when they're in deperation mode to find allies. Just with all this interaction it seems shocking that it hasn't been leaked out yet, or that someone hasn't just wanted to take credit for discovering other planets and worldhopping and discuss it with everyone. 

This book Felt seemed especially blatant. He presumably came through Shadesmar before to get there but didn't mention that to anyone on the trip back through it. He also didn't mention that he has seen something similar to Odum be defeated before to give some hope or help strategize based on what happened before. It really just seems like this knowledge is hidden for the sake of being hidden and there's not a whole lot of justification for more people to not know.

I don’t know that it’s intentionally hidden. I think a number of factors are at play:

* Small number of worldhoppers. We are seeing it a lot, but keep in mind our view is from a small cast of people who are very engaged in events happening in Shadesmar.

* Most people don’t care or are busy with other stuff. You’d be shocked how many people don’t know basic world information IRL. Why? Because they focus on what they need to know to get in with their lives, and that stuff isn’t relevant. I suspect the same principle is at play here. 

Taking number two and building on it- I bet you the people in the Horneater Peaks are generally more aware than the populace of Roshar at large. They have a perpendicularity on their doorstep.

Edited by knightedbishop
Added stuff about Horneater Peaks

10 hours ago, knightedbishop said:

I don’t know that it’s intentionally hidden. I think a number of factors are at play:

* Small number of worldhoppers. We are seeing it a lot, but keep in mind our view is from a small cast of people who are very engaged in events happening in Shadesmar.

* Most people don’t care or are busy with other stuff. You’d be shocked how many people don’t know basic world information IRL. Why? Because they focus on what they need to know to get in with their lives, and that stuff isn’t relevant. I suspect the same principle is at play here. 

Taking number two and building on it- I bet you the people in the Horneater Peaks are generally more aware than the populace of Roshar at large. They have a perpendicularity on their doorstep.

The Horneater seem to have some sort of silence rule.

As for Felt: he emigrated a long time ago. He probably sees himself as Rosharan to an extent. He has a family. The last thing he wants is to be thrust into the spotlight - and if he knows/suspects who leads the GBs, he may be concerned at having to choose between his homeworld and his new one.

He was also present when Kell died and the night of the revolt. For all we know, he may have a personal loyalty to him.

Also, I doubt he sees the Ruin situation as comforting. 90% of the planet’s population got wiped out. Not to mention that it took another Shard to defeat him.

I suspect he may be the one to inform Shallan that she essentially declared war on another planet though... “Well, you see, Thaidakar is THE most worshipped religious figure on our planet. You basically just declared war with our god... and ALL of his followers.”

18 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

He was also present when Kell died and the night of the revolt. For all we know, he may have a personal loyalty to him.

I knew this was the case, but only now am I realizing the ramifications. Felt must be pretty old, right? Invested or something to have a longer than normal lifespan. The Stormlight Archive is supposed to be taking place closer to Wax and Wayne than Era 1, so that makes him ~300? That's as old as, well, Kelsier obviously, but comparable to the likes of Nikli, the Sunmaker, and Vasher, among others. Another bundle of secrets tantalisingly out of POV...

Edited by Zedseayou

2 minutes ago, Zedseayou said:

I knew this was the case, but only now am I realizing the ramifications. Felt must be pretty old, right? Invested or something to have a longer than normal lifespan. The Stormlight Archive is supposed to be taking place closer to Wax and Wayne than Era 1, so that makes him ~300? That's as old as, well, Kelsier obviously, but comparable to the likes of Nikli, the Sunmaker, and Vasher, among others. Another bundle of secrets tantalisingly out of POV...

Some Worldhoppers do time compression things, so Felt may not be quite as old as Kell despite having been born around the same time.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:35 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I suspect he may be the one to inform Shallan that she essentially declared war on another planet though... “Well, you see, Thaidakar is THE most worshipped religious figure on our planet. You basically just declared war with our god... and ALL of his followers.”

He may not know that Thaidakar is Kelsier now, though he may be the one to tell Shallan about Kel once he finds out.
Another reason for the lack of knowledge about worldhoppers is that it is in their best interest to keep it secret for two reasons:

1. If you were the first one to break the news that other worlds existed, you could get a lot of attention, and not all of it good.
  2. If you keep the number of people traveling between planets low, it means the resources you’re selling are in higher demand, because less people are selling them.

13 hours ago, Ookla the Sprinkle said:

He may not know that Thaidakar is Kelsier now, though he may be the one to tell Shallan about Kel once he finds out.
Another reason for the lack of knowledge about worldhoppers is that it is in their best interest to keep it secret for two reasons:

1. If you were the first one to break the news that other worlds existed, you could get a lot of attention, and not all of it good.
  2. If you keep the number of people traveling between planets low, it means the resources you’re selling are in higher demand, because less people are selling them.

It depends on whether or not Thaidakar is a Scadrian term and what Felt’s purpose on Roshar was. For all we know he is/was a part of the GBs or was an agent for Kell outside the society. With the latest revelation ALL Scadrians are suspect.