Investiture and World-Hopping

nebulae27

Question

Early on in RoW (spoilers!!) :

Spoiler

Mraize implies to Shallan that it would be very difficult for a Knight Radiant of Roshar to world hop, and the more Invested they are, the harder this would be, since their investiture somehow tethers them to their home solar system.

I'm confused about this on two points I guess 1) is this a problem specific to Roshar (I'm assuming it is, because Vasher seems fine), and if so, why? and 2) If every form of Investiture is fundamentally linked to a planet, why would a Rosharan Knight especially have trouble with this? Like how was Vasher able to world hop and stay in his alive, very Invested body, but a Knight would be unable to?

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, nebulae27 said:

Early on in RoW (spoilers!!) :

Hide contents

Mraize implies to Shallan that it would be very difficult for a Knight Radiant of Roshar to world hop, and the more Invested they are, the harder this would be, since their investiture somehow tethers them to their home solar system.

I'm confused about this on two points I guess 1) is this a problem specific to Roshar (I'm assuming it is, because Vasher seems fine), and if so, why? and 2) If every form of Investiture is fundamentally linked to a planet, why would a Rosharan Knight especially have trouble with this? Like how was Vasher able to world hop and stay in his alive, very Invested body, but a Knight would be unable to?

In general, being overly Invested will make it difficult to leave the Shardwrold in question. There's a really good example of this in Secret History (where somebody walks up against the border/limit. 

Breaths are a bit of an exception in that they are innately less binding than most Investiture due to the nature of Endowment being more fundamentally about not having strings attached.  Honor, on the other hand, is all about Binding and Oaths and whatnot which puts Stormlight  on the other end of the spectrum being more constrictive.  

Badger1289

If Investiture can’t be moved beyond a certain point away from its world/solar system, how in the Cosmere did three Awakeners end up on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Investiture from different systems acts in different ways. Certain people have managed, for example, to get some kinds of Investiture to leave their home world through the use of a kind of magical pipeline. Breaths attach to the identity of the individual, and are fully given away--freely, which removes some of this Connection. It's a nature of Endowment that the gift is given without strings attached, so to speak. But while it's a renewable resource, it's a difficult one.

Roshar is extra "sticky" so to speak with Investiture. It's part of the nature of Honor, Cultivation, and oaths. So getting it off is a problem, though collecting it is not.

Echono

Wouldn't consuming it also be a problem? You need a direct or secondary Bond to take in Stormlight Investiture. It's not like metals or Breaths that anyone could absorb. Although a certain grouchy ardent might have found a way...

Brandon Sanderson

You are right in that Stormlight is more being seen as a power source, since certain systems in the cosmere can work on a variety of different kinds. Not just anyone could make use of it, at least not unless it is refined.

Rhythm of War Preview Q&As (Oct. 8, 2020)

I think it's extra difficult for Knights Radiant because of their spren. A Radiant Spren is a sentient piece of investiture tied very strongly to Roshar. A Radiant might be able to travel, but they'd almost certainly have to leave their spren behind, which would be problematic.

Then again, before getting to the end of RoW I would have thought the same was true of (late RoW spoiler)

Spoiler

Seons

. So I may be completely off base.