Erklitt

Pattern's explanation

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have trouble believing Pattern when he says he used the Seon to talk to Wit?

1. Of course it's not entirely impossible that Wit has a Seon. But for anyone to reach Wit without prearranging a time, Wit would have to keep it close at all times, yet there's never been a hint of that. 

Also, in Elantris...

Spoiler

... Hoid talked to something similar to a Seon, but it wasn't a regular Seon and it didn't seem to follow him offworld.

2. Wit is sequestered away with Jasnah a lot of the time. Who is supposed to have spied on him? Again: every time Pattern called him, at unexpected times?

3. Mraize told Shallan he has someone close to her, and I don't think he lied. So who is it?

What I'm saying is: I think Pattern was talking to Mraize. I'm not clear about his motives, but I'm worried.

Shallan saw several Cryptics in Kharbranth, Pattern might have been one of them.

But he made 'first personal contact' on the ship where someone tried to kill Jasnah as a job for the Ghostbloods. Was Pattern sent along once the Ghostbloods realized Shallan would be on that ship? After all there is that Ghostblood - Davar family connection.

Has he been a Ghostblood agent from the beginning, sent to Shallan? Just as the next one would be sent should Shallan kill Pattern? Are the Cryptics, or at least a group within them, allied to the Ghostbloods?

Edit: Also, this:

“Who, then?” “I cannot betray this secret,” Mraize said. “Let’s just say that Lightweavers fascinate me, and leave it at that. [...]"

Edited by Erklitt

At first I would have agreed, it just seemed too easy, especially because I wanted Pattern to not actually be betraying Shallan. But it does actually line up with other information we have. Wit was being spied on by a Sleepless disguising one of its cremlings as a pen - which could actually be Mraize himself, as I've seen theories speculating he could be a rogue Sleepless. And Shallan is able to talk to Wit through the Seon, and I don't think that is a trick since he shares with Shallan the information about opening the box to get to the Seon safely - Mraize certainly would not have shared this information. We know now that it wasn't another GB agent who killed Ialai, but Radiant. I think Mraize is just blowing smoke, trying to keep Shallan on edge to keep her going along with his plans. Even though Pattern loves lies, it's noted that he's not very good at telling them himself, and I just don't think that's fake. You could end up being right, or there could be more to it, but I just don't think Pattern is a double agent.

@Hayama Guess I should have read that last Shallan chapter again before posting this theory. You name several facts that I have overlooked / forgotten from that first frantic reading! So it was my partial memory prompting the questions. Thanks, and I'm glad I was almost certainly wrong! ;)

We also need to remember that someone told Mraize that Shallan had seen a corrupted gloryspren. That points towards Beryl, yet, as far as we know, Beryl never used the Seon nor had the opportunity—since Pattern admits to the instances of disturbing the box. I guess it's possible that Beryl had her own Seon, though they are supposed to be very rare.

However, I think the better answer is Radiant. Radiant killed Ialai, so she was essentially acting as the Ghostblood "spy" in that situation. We know that Shallan sort of wanted to pin the blame on Beryl, since she was the newest Lightweaver and the one whose betrayal would hurt the least. Thus, Radiant could have told Mraize the information about the gloryspren at one point to "protect" Shallan. Let's look at what Radiant says after Mraize repeats the gloryspren information:

Beryl. She could accept it being Beryl. That hurt—being betrayed would always hurt—but it could have been worse.

Damnation, Veil thought.

What? Shallan thought. What's wrong?

Does this feel too easy? Veil asked. Too convenient?

Veil, Radiant thought. You went to all this trouble to seed the information and find the spy. Now you're questioning?

- Rhythm of War, Chapter 30, Page 410 of the U.S. Hardcover

Radiant is trying to peddle the idea that it's Beryl! This is consistent if she were the one to frame Beryl.

This is far from proof though, just what I think the most reasonable conclusion is for the identity of the "spy."

Edited by Lightspine

I'm still not quite 100% sure there was no spy, but I think it's plausible that Mraize was making an educated guess, knowing that he didn't send any additional agents (or maybe he did, and that person saw Radiant do it).

Thought this was clear from the book: Pattern told Wit about the corrupted Spren and Mraize learned about it because he was spying on Jasnah+Wit.

“I was so worried about you. I didn’t know what to do. So I went to him, and he said we could talk with the cube, if I was worried. Mmm … About what was happening with you. He said I was very funny! But when I talked to him last, he warned me. He’s been spied on by the Ghostbloods. The things I told him, another heard. That was how Mraize knew things.”

“You talked to Wit,” Shallan whispered. “And a spy overheard? That … That means…”

Sanderson, Brandon. Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive) . Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

We know Pattern was talking to Wit -- that was confirmed later on, so I see no reason to doubt the above is what happened. Rest was Mraize being cagey, keeping Shallan off balance, etc.  He needed to keep Shallan interested in joining the Ghostbloods so she would complete the mission, etc. 

Edited by Argel

Yep, everything can be explained by Pattern nervously asking for advice from Wit, but Wit was himself under observation by the Sleepless.

This mixed with Radiant not wanting to admit she killed Ialai, and the whole conspiracy gets unraveled as nothing.