New favourite quotes!!

Shuffel

'I am death itself, Defeated One, and I've finally caught up to you.' - Both of them had no idea how right Kaladin was in the end. 

And the other one, 

'Run. Flee. I'll chase you. I will never stop. I am eternal. I am the storm.' - Kaladin was making flames dance on my skin when he said this. 

9 hours ago, Shuffel said:

Honor is alive in the hearts of men. 

Even better: they dragged Notum away screaming it repeatedly. "Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men!" After trying to buy the honor of an honorspren with a promise of reclaiming his position if he testified against the man who came to save his life at the risk of his own (from what we would eventually see in Tezim's camp to be a truly horrific fate).

Of course, Notum is also the source of another one of my favorite quotes from this book - what he said to Adolin when he first told him why he and the others had come back to Shadesmar.

"To visit Lasting Integrity... Our monarchs have sent letters of introduction. We hope to forge a new alliance."

The honorspren opened his eyes wide and drew in a sharp breath - something spren only did for effect, as they didn't normally breathe.

"What? It's that surprising?"

"It wouldn't be polite for me to interrupt," Notum said. "Please continue your insane rant."

I said something like this once to my wife when I felt like the "discussion" was headed towards a full-blown fight. I was right!

Another favorite quote, when Raboniel comments on how Venli's service to her was sometimes "distracted", which she ascribed to her true allegiance being to Leshwi, and having to give secret-not-secret reports to her.

"I am sorry, Ancient One."

Raboniel hummed to Indifference. "I should have arranged for a regular meeting for you to give her your spy reports. Maybe I could have written them for you, to save time. At any rate, I cannot fault you for loyalty to her."

For a character who was introduced as a kind of nearly insane and amoral "mad scientist" from Leshwi's POV, it turned out she was, like, a great boss to work for. Who'd a thunk it?

Edited by robardin

“That night, it rained on the other dogs, who slept outside in the cold barn, which leaked. But the little dog snuggled into a warm bed beside the fire, hugged by the farmer’s children, his belly full. And as he did, the dog sadly thought to himself, ‘I could not become a dragon. I am an utter and complete failure.’ The end.”

“You were terrified. I saw your eyes.”
“Of course I was. Who wouldn’t be afraid? Doesn’t change that I needed to be here. For them.”

"YOU WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS BEYOND THE NEXT HILL. SEE THEM ALL."

Maybe--incredible though it may seem--there are more than two choices in life. I'm not you, but that doesn't mean I'm Taravangian. Maybe I'm my own brand of wrong.

-Adolin Storming Kholin

I had no idea how much I needed to see puppies until I flew by them this morning. They are the grossest things on the planet, Kaladin. They're somehow so gross that they're cute. So cute I could have died! Except I can't, because I'm an eternal sliver of God himself, and we have standards about things like that.

-Sylphrena, The Ancient Daughter

"This undermines my entire existence!" I can't explain why, but this was one of the funniest things I've read, it just makes me smile.

It's like this line from Mistborn: "Marsh knelt in a pile of ash, hating the world and himself" in that it totally fits the story in context, but if you look at the line itself it's kinda funny..

"You cannot reach the end of a proof without many steps in the middle, Shallan. I was to be the middle step.” - Pattern 

Also this is 

"how often has ‘hope’ been the reason someone refuses to move on and accept a realistic attitude? How often has ‘hope’ caused more pain or delayed healing? How often has ‘hope’ prevented someone from standing up and doing what needs to be done, because they cling to a wish for everything to be different?” - Jasnah

Sanderson, Brandon. Rhythm of War (STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE) . Orion. Kindle Edition. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, Ramona Tehradin said:

'I am death itself, Defeated One, and I've finally caught up to you.' - Both of them had no idea how right Kaladin was in the end. 

And the other one, 

'Run. Flee. I'll chase you. I will never stop. I am eternal. I am the storm.' - Kaladin was making flames dance on my skin when he said this. 

this part just shows that kaladin is a beast