Let's go find a dragon

Tesh

15 hours ago, Cosmical Existence said:

Salad, you need to stop making such epic posts that I have to upvote them. :P 

why thank you ^_^ hehe, all according to plan

54 minutes ago, Tesh said:

So... What's going on? What did I miss?

*puts on Knight of Iron costume* TLDR time! what do you mean "why do I have this?" You don't have costumes of everyone on the Shard?

(This is going to be really informal and paraphrased I'm sorry in advance) Okay SO (I'm going from page 43 after your last RP post) Valzwyn and Minuet ran towards Feldspar's tower and Val was like "hey, that's my master's stuff!" and the looters were like "lol no it's ours now" so she got mad and they started fighting. Orpheus was also there? (I don't think Knight was online for the fight). Meanwhile Ara sees the fighting and is like "no stop guys don't fight" and kind of goes into panic mode while Avocado does a really bad job of trying to console her. Then Cara comes and actually consoles her, while Ren watches everything go down from a distance. The looters are driven off. 

TA introduces a new character, Sef Owlson, Feldspar's librarian, who greets Val and has Feldspar's will. Once the fighting is all done Minuet comes to get everyone else so they can all go to the tower together. Xeus is like "hey Sef you got any books on prophecies and history? I need to read them because the world is ending" so they're going to the library together. I think everyone else is standing outside the tower, except for Val who's running around feeling nostalgic. 

I think the plan is to set up the tower as a base, have some downtime and character interaction, and then a dragon shows up maybe after a day or so? 

5 minutes ago, The Awakened Salad said:

*puts on Knight of Iron costume* TLDR time! what do you mean "why do I have this?" You don't have costumes of everyone on the Shard?

(This is going to be really informal and paraphrased I'm sorry in advance) Okay SO (I'm going from page 43 after your last RP post) Valzwyn and Minuet ran towards Feldspar's tower and Val was like "hey, that's my master's stuff!" and the looters were like "lol no it's ours now" so she got mad and they started fighting. Orpheus was also there? (I don't think Knight was online for the fight). Meanwhile Ara sees the fighting and is like "no stop guys don't fight" and kind of goes into panic mode while Avocado does a really bad job of trying to console her. Then Cara comes and actually consoles her, while Ren watches everything go down from a distance. The looters are driven off. 

TA introduces a new character, Sef Owlson, Feldspar's librarian, who greets Val and has Feldspar's will. Once the fighting is all done Minuet comes to get everyone else so they can all go to the tower together. Xeus is like "hey Sef you got any books on prophecies and history? I need to read them because the world is ending" so they're going to the library together. I think everyone else is standing outside the tower, except for Val who's running around feeling nostalgic. 

I think the plan is to set up the tower as a base, have some downtime and character interaction, and then a dragon shows up maybe after a day or so? 

My costume of you is just a bunch of fake leaves stapled onto a onesie.

Thanks! I'll hang out for a bit, and then jump in even I feel like I have a good grip of the situation.

4 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

*puts on Salad costume and nods in approval*

1 hour ago, Knight of Iron said:

*puts on Salad costume and nods in approval*

I’m just picturing you going to work and doing dentist/surgeon things while dressed like this

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhNe7lemfrnrWMJHSPHFu

this conversation probably should’ve been taken to Discord or the PM... whoops :ph34r:

Also

Spoiler

4vz45s.png

Okay, I will derail this thread no more, back to the RP!

On 29.1.2021 at 5:11 PM, Knight of Iron said:

They arrived at the library and Xeus realized the elf girl was no longer with them, at least for now. It was none of his concern. "I would like to see this ancient scroll," he said, turning to the Wanderer, "Please, take me to it."

@Trutharchivist

Sef guides the man to the history portion of the library, at the back and to the left, then opens a simple door that sits between two shelf collumns, behind which is seen a library of scrolls, built of holes in the walls. He immediately goes to one of these holes, pulling a scroll in a delicate wood casing out of it and handing it to the man.

"You may read it here. Under my supervision, as I said. No taking it out of the library. There are chairs and tables at the library for your comfort."

Gal rose up, took his book, and walked toward Ara.

"So, about what you said earlier, of circuiting Notion through humans and metals: it's fascinating. I have researched other magic systems using energy - Ire - from the Ideas Realm, and it seemed that Planting it back to be useable is impossible. Also, I never knew it to react to wave forms, or being able to be stored in metals, especially since metal has never lived, and is sometimes counted as the opposite of ideas. I really need to talk to you more about it."

@JesterLavorre

Salad, I hereby appoint you to be our memes and jokes maker, by my authority as a SPUCE. I think Knight can be magic, Realms and plot editor. Since this should fall under the SPUCE's responsibility, I'm probably malfunctioning as a SPUCE. Maybe I'm just the one making order of things? How would you name this job?

Jester, I'm sorry for taking so long to actually do something with the similar magic systems thing, and doing hardly anything when I actually got to it. I didn't really write everything in a notebook (though I probably should have), and so I don't know how to reply better.

4 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Sef guides the man to the history portion of the library, at the back and to the left, then opens a simple door that sits between two shelf collumns, behind which is seen a library of scrolls, built of holes in the walls. He immediately goes to one of these holes, pulling a scroll in a delicate wood casing out of it and handing it to the man.

"You may read it here. Under my supervision, as I said. No taking it out of the library. There are chairs and tables at the library for your comfort."

"So, about what you said earlier, of circuiting Notion through humans and metals: it's fascinating. I have researched other magic systems using energy - Ire - from the Ideas Realm, and it seemed that Planting it back to be useable is impossible. Also, I never knew it to react to wave forms, or being able to be stored in metals, especially since metal has never lived, and is sometimes counted as the opposite of ideas. I really need to talk to you more about it."

@JesterLavorre

Cara notices Gal, talking to Ara. Maybe he'll be in a better mood now. Only one way to find out. Cara turns to Gal, "Hi"

3 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Exodus smiled at the librarian and expressed his thanks. He had taken great care to fool the earlier group, and he was certain that none had recognized him in his disguise of "Xeus". He was planning on following them, of assessing their character. And he was interested in learning what this prophecy was that had compelled them on such a reckless and idiotic journey. But, for now, this would have to wait. He hadn't expected Feldspar's tower, and it was now time to glean another library for useful information.

"Thank you," said Exodus, and he sat down at a table and gently and carefully unrolled a part of the scroll, taking great care not to damage it. Then he read.

After searching vigilantly for some time, it became apparent that he had either already known about most of the accounts in the scroll or they didn't provide any extra information. He continued his search of the entries, written in ancient speak, and found an entry of noticeable interest.

"The draegons hath lost their minds, and art not of use to anyone anymore. And mine own sword, which hadst an enchat'd shimmer, hath lost her shine."

Exodus filed away this information and returned to searching the rest of the scroll.

Exodus smiled at the librarian and expressed his thanks. He had taken great care to fool the earlier group, and he was certain that none had recognized him in his disguise of "Xeus". He was planning on following them, of assessing their character. And he was interested in learning what this prophecy was that had compelled them on such a reckless and idiotic journey. But, for now, this would have to wait. He hadn't expected Feldspar's tower, and it was now time to glean another library for useful information.

"Thank you," said Exodus, and he sat down at a table and gently and carefully unrolled a part of the scroll, taking great care not to damage it. Then he read.

After searching vigilantly for some time, it became apparent that he had either already known about most of the accounts in the scroll or they didn't provide any extra information. He continued his search of the entries, written in ancient speak, and found an entry of noticeable interest.

"The draegons hath lost their minds, and art not of use to anyone anymore. And mine own sword, which hadst an enchat'd shimmer, hath lost her shine."

Exodus filed away this information and returned to searching the rest of the scroll.

Sef watched while the man read.

"You're researching the ancient Great Calamity." He said suddenly. "You are one of those believing it will return after a thousand years. This theory hasn't been proved yet, and still you sound so sure that the world is ending. What evidence brought you to be so certain of this conclusion? Did you see something in the histories? Or perhaps heard of a prophecy?"

Owlsons have keen eyes and minds. It's sensible he'll see that.

And Isabelle, Gal won't reply Cara. He still dislikes her, so he'll wait until Ara would talk before he speaks again. Shouldn't be any surprise, really.

Edited by Trutharchivist

2 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Sef watched while the man read.

"You're researching the ancient Great Calamity." He said suddenly. "You are one of those believing it will return after a thousand years. This theory hasn't been proved yet, and still you sound so sure that the world is ending. What evidence brought you to be so certain of this conclusion? Did you see something in the histories? Or perhaps heard of a prophecy?"

If the public is going to have next to no knowledge of "the Great Calamity," or at least what caused it. And probably a load of people chalk it up to myth, or never happened. And probably it'll be incorporated into some religions or whatever.

Exodus shook his head. These idiots, thinking the Great Calamity was only a singular event, caused by the gods or whatnot. If they had an inkling as to what had even caused it, they would not have been so foolish.

"It is none of your concern," he said, "I am only interested in gleaning information about it. And your proof... your proof shall come."

51 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Gal won't reply Cara. He still dislikes her, so he'll wait until Ara would talk before he speaks again.

@Isabelle6060

If Cara is actively looking for someone to talk to, then you can use Ren as an option if you would like. Personally, I think Cara would actually be one of the best people for Ren to talk with at this time. I'll leave that decision up to you though.

12 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Ara perked up a bit. “Sure, we can talk! I guess, with metals, I’ve never really considered it. It’s just the way things work. Notion sticks to metal. Like magnets.”

2 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

Ara perked up a bit. “Sure, we can talk! I guess, with metals, I’ve never really considered it. It’s just the way things work. Notion sticks to metal. Like magnets.”

"Does it works even without insignials? Maybe the signs make the metal useable for that. If not, it means we didn't understand it right the whole time. Or maybe it's cultural? Anything can be true when working with the Ideas Realm." 

4 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Does it works even without insignials? Maybe the signs make the metal useable for that. If not, it means we didn't understand it right the whole time. Or maybe it's cultural? Anything can be true when working with the Ideas Realm." 

“Notion can stick to it without Insignials, but it won’t do anything, and it’ll leak faster. It has also been tested with a lot of other materials, nothing nonmetallic works. Some scholars think it has to do with metal’s simplicity. When you try and use an Insignial to manifest something simple, like oxygen, it’s really easy. But once you get into organic compounds and such things get complicated. So, a theory is that metals work well because they’re simple. Alloys are less sticky, in that theory, as they are less pure. Of course, that has holes too. Elements which are traditionally nonmetallic don’t effect Notion, even if they’re pure. Wait. What’s the ideas realm?”

Edited by JesterLavorre

39 minutes ago, JesterLavorre said:

“Notion can stick to it without Insignials, but it won’t do anything, and it’ll leak faster. It has also been tested with a lot of other materials, nothing nonmetallic works. Some scholars think it has to do with metal’s simplicity. When you try and use an Insignial to manifest something simple, like oxygen, it’s really easy. But once you get into organic compounds and such things get complicated. So, a theory is that metals work well because they’re simple. Alloys are less sticky, in that theory, as they are less pure. Of course, that has holes too. Elements which are traditionally nonmetallic don’t effect Notion, even if they’re pure. Wait. What’s the ideas realm?”

"Hm. So you aren't educated in Realmatics? Bother. Many learning centers across the continent are aware of that. But, since I haven't heard of Manifesting before, I can guess that you come from a relatively far away place where scientific theories went in other directions. To explain it shortly: existence is built of a number of Realms, four of which are known. The Realms are usually either overlapping or paralleling to our world, also known in Realmatics as the Physical Realm, or the PR. The Ideas Realm is the Realm of minds, thoughts and ideas. Every Realm has it's own Realmatically-keyed energy, or Ire, and it seems to me that your Notion is actually Ire of the Ideas Realm, or IRI. I might be wrong, but from what you said it sounded like it. Usually it is classified through Centers, and not Notions, but different ways of access can use it a little differently, I guess. So, it is connected to simplicity of molecular structure, or maybe atomic? I'm not an expert in chemistry, so I don't know much about it. From what I understand, metals are different from other elements in more free electrons, though I can't see how that would make IRI more likely to stick to them. It can, of course, stick easily to minds - it does weird things with animals' minds, though - and the magic system I researched that uses it can stick it to brunches of a specific, rare kind of tree." Gal flips through his notebook (the older one) while talking, then hesitantly pulled another notebook out of his backpack.

"If you wish, I have my notes on this magic system in the Common Tongue. You could read it. Is the Common Tongue your native language, by the way? Just out of curiosity."

Hope this works. My magic system was originally all about representation and symbolism, and so I thought of metal (specifically iron, actually) as the opposite of it. Not exactly my best idea... Here it won't work, anyway.

It's time for...

Wheel! Of! Prophecies!

All prophecies are in spoiler boxes because I don't like really long posts.

Exodus continued scouring the accounts for any more useful information, but most of the information was from accounts after the Great Calamity. He carefully rolled up the scroll again and set it back into its wooden case, then stood up from the table and walked over to where the Wanderer had said the books of prophecies would be. He opened the book and looked through some of the ancient cryptic poems.

The thing about prophecies was while they seemed to predict important future events, they were often wrong. And even if they do happen to be right, they were unnecessarily cryptic to the point where one shouldn't bother with the prophecy to begin with. Exodus noticed two prophecies that were cryptic enough to mean nothing to anyone, especially since it was never clear if an ancient prophecy was ever fulfilled or not.

Spoiler

Forced to the sideline
Feeling abandoned, a lonely flame
The enchantress of yore will lay claim
An ancient bloodline

And, perhaps a better example:

Spoiler

Burning blood,
Returning flood
Cries of pain
Dies in vain

Prophecies were of varying lengths as well. Some were a single sentence:

Spoiler

The immortal heir, a god among men.

And others were much longer and made no sense. One such prophecy was marked as probably made up rather than an actual prediction. There were those who claimed to be prophets for fame or recognition only, and made up nonsensical prophecies, like:

Spoiler

The chosen few, endowed with creation
Will craft a world in dire need of salvation
To their delight, the enchanted vegetation
Will entertain all with its humorous narration
The ‘string’ as they call it, shall bring much frustration
“Dragons!” they complained, “They are our foundation.”
 Magic scrolls shall be constructed, thanks to a donation
And the ruler of this string shall leave for a vacation
A man shall designate self to start making notations
And one will insistently disturb the string’s stagnation

But one prophecy was of particular note to Exodus, one that was noted as likely already fulfilled. But Exodus knew better. He carefully committed the prophecy to memory.

Spoiler

The insanity of the beasts
Shall cause the world dismay
No longer shall they feast
No longer shall they play
The world split like clay
Unless they shall repair
Then it shall be said, yea
It was never meant to bear

Once he was certain he had the prophecy in his memory, he ripped the page out of the book and held it up in the air with his right hand, victorious. He willed the paper in his hands to burst into flames, and instantly it did so and crumbled to ash. Exodus closed the book and begin to march out of the tower. 

34 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Exodus continued scouring the accounts for any more useful information, but most of the information was from accounts after the Great Calamity. He carefully rolled up the scroll again and set it back into its wooden case, then stood up from the table and walked over to where the Wanderer had said the books of prophecies would be. He opened the book and looked through some of the ancient cryptic poems.

The thing about prophecies was while they seemed to predict important future events, they were often wrong. And even if they do happen to be right, they were unnecessarily cryptic to the point where one shouldn't bother with the prophecy to begin with. Exodus noticed two prophecies that were cryptic enough to mean nothing to anyone, especially since it was never clear if an ancient prophecy was ever fulfilled or not.

Reveal hidden contents

Forced to the sideline
Feeling abandoned, a lonely flame
The enchantress of yore will lay claim
An ancient bloodline

And, perhaps a better example:

Reveal hidden contents

Burning blood,
Returning flood
Cries of pain
Dies in vain

Prophecies were of varying lengths as well. Some were a single sentence:

Reveal hidden contents

The immortal heir, a god among men.

And others were much longer and made no sense. One such prophecy was marked as probably made up rather than an actual prediction. There were those who claimed to be prophets for fame or recognition only, and made up nonsensical prophecies, like:

Reveal hidden contents

The chosen few, endowed with creation
Will craft a world in dire need of salvation
To their delight, the enchanted vegetation
Will entertain all with its humorous narration
The ‘string’ as they call it, shall bring much frustration
“Dragons!” they complained, “They are our foundation.”
 Magic scrolls shall be constructed, thanks to a donation
And the ruler of this string shall leave for a vacation
A man shall designate self to start making notations
And one will insistently disturb the string’s stagnation

But one prophecy was of particular note to Exodus, one that was noted as likely already fulfilled. But Exodus knew better. He carefully committed the prophecy to memory.

Reveal hidden contents

The insanity of the beasts
Shall cause the world dismay
No longer shall they feast
No longer shall they play
The world split like clay
Unless they shall repair
Then it shall be said, yea
It was never meant to bear

Once he was certain he had the prophecy in his memory, he ripped the page out of the book and held it up in the air with his right hand, victorious. He willed the paper in his hands to burst into flames, and instantly it did so and crumbled to ash. Exodus closed the book and begin to march out of the tower. 

Sef carefully took the ancient scroll back to it's place, then, out of curiosity, followed the man. At the moment he tore and burnt a page, Sef was enraged. He immediately run after him, Cultivating the floor to be slippery and make the man slip. He then stopped before he himself would slip, and tried something he rarely did: Harvesting the man for information, specifically on the page he torn.

"You," he said angrily, "should have known better then to ruin books in my library. Do you not know what I am? Do you not know how my kind will react to distruction of knowledge? You are a fool."

So, I think it's safe to assume Exodus will slip, though it might not be too hard for him to stand. One can resist Harvest, especially if he knows what's happening and is resisting. Sef started the Harvest before speaking, so Exodus might not be ready for it. It probably won't stop him anyway, but at least it won't be too easy for him to just find the prophecy and hide it.

1 minute ago, Trutharchivist said:

Sef carefully took the ancient scroll back to it's place, then, out of curiosity, followed the man. At the moment he tore and burnt a page, Sef was enraged. He immediately run after him, Cultivating the floor to be slippery and make the man slip. He then stopped before he himself would slip, and tried something he rarely did: Harvesting the man for information, specifically on the page he torn.

"You," he said angrily, "should have known better then to ruin books in my library. Do you not know what I am? Do you not know how my kind will react to distruction of knowledge? You are a fool."

Exodus had anticipated a reaction from the librarian, and had resisted any Harvesting of information, but he hadn't anticipated the floor. He began to slip but attempted to stabilize himself. Owlsons, he cursed, thinking themselves guardians of knowledge.

"I know what you are, Owlson," said Exodus, "But I'm afraid that some knowledge is better left forgotten." Exodus brushed back his jacket, and placed a hand casually on a sheathed sword.

14 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Exodus had anticipated a reaction from the librarian, and had resisted any Harvesting of information, but he hadn't anticipated the floor. He began to slip but attempted to stabilize himself. Owlsons, he cursed, thinking themselves guardians of knowledge.

"I know what you are, Owlson," said Exodus, "But I'm afraid that some knowledge is better left forgotten." Exodus brushed back his jacket, and placed a hand casually on a sheathed sword.

Sef quickly considered his options. He already knew what was the prophecy the man tore - he knew every book in his library by heart. Attacking this man might mean his own demise, as his powers weren't very potent. Letting the criminal go, though, did not appeal to him. He breathed deeply.

"Forgotten by anyone but you, I understand." He said. "We have here a good Snakeson matter, now don't we? If you know my powers, you should remember that: I know this tower, as truly as it can be known. You cannot escape my powers within it's walls."

He then proceeded to use a different Cultivation, Cultivating the Physical Ire around them to materialize as blocks of ice around the man's feet and hands, and as fire near his face. It left him very tired - though the large presence of Physical Ire in the tower helped him stay standing - and without ability to use the same trick again, but he hoped it'd work. He knew the man could use fire, but maybe it'll be enough to slow him down. Besides, the man's actions might lead him to understand what method he used to create fire.

The Owlsons' powers are not unlike Forgery, though they don't use carvings. And they don't change the history, but the present state of the object. They are probably the weakest of the Wanderers, really, though their power could potentially be OP.

12 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Sef quickly considered his options. He already knew what was the prophecy the man tore - he knew every book in his library by heart. Attacking this man might mean his own demise, as his powers weren't very potent. Letting the criminal go, though, did not appeal to him. He breathed deeply.

"Forgotten by anyone but you, I understand." He said. "We have here a good Snakeson matter, now don't we? If you know my powers, you should remember that: I know this tower, as truly as it can be known. You cannot escape my powers within it's walls."

He then proceeded to use a different Cultivation, Cultivating the Physical Ire around them to materialize as blocks of ice around the man's feet and hands, and as fire near his face. It left him very tired - though the large presence of Physical Ire in the tower helped him stay standing - and without ability to use the same trick again, but he hoped it'd work. He knew the man could use fire, but maybe it'll be enough to slow him down. Besides, the man's actions might lead him to understand what method he used to create fire.

Exodus grunted and an explosion of fire materialized around his hands, shattering the ice to the floor. He stomped his feet, shattering the ice around his feet with a superhuman strength, and Exodus stepped away and swatted the fire from his face.

"Don't make me kill you," Exodus chuckled, "I don't want to. I only tore a single page. I can let you go."

@Channelknight Fadran

(Yo Fadran, Valzwyn will probably hear the fight going on in the library).

I have everything Exodus can do written down on a personal document, worry not that I'm just inventing ways to get out of situations. Also, I'm leaving out a bit of detail out of Exodus's POV to keep some stuff a mystery for now.

Exodus grunted and an explosion of fire materialized around his hands, shattering the ice to the floor. He stomped his feet, shattering the ice around his feet with a superhuman strength, and Exodus stepped away and swatted the fire from his face.

"Don't make me kill you," Exodus chuckled, "I don't want to. I only tore a single page. I can let you go."

@Channelknight Fadran

"We fight ignorance, bringing with us the light of knowledge. What you did only served to increase ignorance in the world." Sef stopped talking for a moment. "Well, maybe I'm overly dramatic, but I cannot allow this crime to pass without punishment."

He then used another piece of knowledge about the use of Physical Ire to blow a gust of wind on the man, on a final try to make him fall, and shooting a stone from the floor toward his head.