Let's go find a dragon

Tesh

10 hours ago, Isabelle6060 said:

"You're my friend, now. It's my job to worry about you and to make sure you're happy. We're in this together. If you want to talk, I'm here for you. If you don't, that's fine, too." 

“Thank you. I... I guess it’s out now. I’m not as cheery or optimistic as I used to be.” So why do you still keep me around?

Edited by JesterLavorre

1 minute ago, Condensation said:

Who's still at the top of the hill?

Talnic and (possibly) Traige. Ara, Avren and Cara are probably already halfway down. I have no idea where Nyx is, though she didn't join yet. Neither do I know what happened with Chrys. Ren seems to be about. Xeus is probably on the hill, too. Did I forget someone? Minuet, Gal, Valzwyn and Orpheus are together, at the bottom of the hill, together with Sef.

Just try my best to keep my track of all the characters, as the SPUCE here.

@Cosmical Existence, @King Aragorn of Gondor, @Matrim's Dice?

1 hour ago, JesterLavorre said:

“Thank you. I... I guess it’s out now. I’m not as cheery or optimistic as I used to be.” So why do you still keep me around?

"That is just fine. Nobody has to be cheery and optimistic all the time." Cara paused, noticing Minuet jogging up the hill. "What are you doing?"

Having circled his way around the edge of the clearing, Ren watched the looter’s camp from the high limbs of an old aspen tree. Suspended some forty feet in the air, he deftly crouched on a thin set of branches that extended out towards the clearing, allowing him better visibility of the tower and the camp surrounding it. Standard physics made this positioning seem illogical, as the average thickness of the limbs he was standing on was hardly the width of two fingers. Under normal circumstances, the full weight of a living person would have easily snapped the branches long before anyone would have been able to make it this high. However, Ren had grown accustomed to the bounds and limitations of his Being, and the branches only bowed slightly under his insubstantial weight.

Although this strategy left him relatively exposed, Ren’s visible transparency and height from the ground would make it difficult for most people to locate him. He had used this same technique dozens of times, mostly to evade the notice of other caravans who traveled the icy mountains. Regardless, Ren doubted the looters would turn their attention away from the center of their camp any time soon.

Valzwyn, Orpheus, and a third adventurer Ren did not know had torn their way through the pillagers. Although he hadn’t seen who had started the fight, Ren knew who was going to end it; in fact, he had no doubt. Valzwyn and the others threw fists and fireballs into the looters surrounding the tower, and one by one their opposition fell to the frozen earth. Even while staggeringly outnumbered, the three travelers made quick work of the assailants as they fought to seize the tower and its grounds. It was a brutal display of power and determination.

Ren knew that there was little he could have done in this situation to help liberate Valzwyn’s home. With his knowledge of limited combat and the slight edge granted by his State of Being, Ren felt confident that if he were forced into a fight he could win in a one-on-one encounter against an average fighter. There was also a good chance that he could scrape by in a two-on-one, but anything greater than those odds and Ren quickly fell out of his element.

However, there were other ways to take down a hundred men-

Ren severed the thought before it could complete itself.

Returning his attention to the camp, Ren noted that the sounds of combat had begun to subside, and many of the pillagers had scattered away from the tower. Unsure if the fight had finally been decided or if it was merely a lull in aggression, Ren hesitated from entering the encampment. It seemed as though most of the looters hadn’t completely run off yet.

Interestingly though, the unnamed woman who had fought with Valzwyn and Orpheus had broken off from the tower and was quickly making their way up the same hill they had descended earlier. Was she going to gather the others? Did that mean Valzwyn and the others had taken over the tower? What about the remaining looters?

Running a hand through his hair, Ren weighed his options carefully.

Dependent upon the number of looters that remain near the Wizard Tower, Ren will either remain on the outskirts of the clearing or head into the camp with everyone else. Warming up to a small group of travelers and jumping into a hostile market with a hundred thieves are two very different things, and Ren isn't quite ready for the latter.

Avren gave Ara a small nod and followed her and Cara down the hill towards the tower. The looters were retreating, much to his relief. Only a few dead, which wasn't thrilling, but it was better than he had initially expected. 

A fresh wave of panic washed over him as he remembered the dead-but-not-dead man, and realised he could no longer sense him. Maybe... maybe that meant he'd left? No, of course he wouldn't have. Avren did have to admit, however, that the man's behaviour was a little erratic. Appearing to the group one moment and then vanishing the next? What could it mean? 

HA take that autocorrect, you can't change Avren's name on desktop!

Also I went ahead and assumed that a handful of people died if that's all right. I can always retcon it if need be. I may or may not need the dead bodies for something :ph34r: 

2 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Also I went ahead and assumed that a handful of people died if that's all right.

Well, Connie did everything to assure us Minuet tried her best not to kill anyone, and I'm not sure Orpheus did much damage, so if someone was killed - Valzwyn killed him. Admittedly, she did throw a fire ball, so it's not impossible.