Last Eshonai Flashback

Ciridae

So much amazing stuff happened in RoW, but Eshonai's final flashback was one of the absolute highlights for me. She's always been one of my favorite characters and I remember being absolutely devastated when the last Oathbringer sample chapter was released three years ago and she was just dead at the bottom of a chasm. She's such a tragic character and I always thought she deserved better than she got. 

Until I was reading that last flashback chapter I had no idea how much I needed closure on Eshonai's death. I think the entire scene was beautifully written and the resolution is so bittersweet. The way she also heard the rhythm of war. The way she fought to be free in her last moments, fighting to die as herself, to be free in the end. The fact that she spoke the first ideal and that the Stormfather told her she was Radiant, even for only a few moments. And how she gets to see the world as the storm and moving on, still excited to discover more. It just made me so happy to know she had a beautiful end to her arc, and I wanted to see if other people had similar feelings.

Her death in Oathbringer was one the most bitter scenes in the series for me, I had so much expectations on her, I never dealt well with her destiny

I cried reading her last flashback chapter. Eshonai is the character who the best represents the humanization of singers, knowing she could fullfill her dream, even if just for a few minutes, was the most satisfying arc conclusion in Stormlight Archive so far. She really deserved it, so much hardness she endured. You did well Eshonai, I hope you find peace 

I didnt really care for Eshonai in Book 2, or in her flashbacks here. Until the final one. That was such a great moment, and such a great way to end her arc. I especially loved how she was excited to go to the Beyond, and see what was there. I hope she got to be happier in death than she got to be in life.

Part of me was wondering if she was going to bond a Chasmfield despite the WOBS we have, but I am glad that didn't happen. Though, I still am curious what happened there with the two times we see helpful/non-aggressive Chasmfiends and the Listeners. 

Edited by teknopathetic

• 2 months later...

i never cried about this, and i'm sad i didn't (this is the most frustrating things about me. i cry for people being mean to me, but when people die, in a book or real life, i just can't), but it was so beautiful, and tender, and wonderful. i was disappointed when she died just like that, because i was really looking forward to her coming to dalinar and working with him, and that bitterness and disappointment sat until here, where her death was the most amazing, wonderful thing in the book. she deserved this flashback, even if she didn't deserve to die.