Musing on cultivation's name

LiftIRL

In his gruffy grace, Nazh gave us some really useful information- amongst his glyphes for Rayse and Tanavast, the third glyph which would obviously be Cultivation reads "Koravari's light", and Nazh specifices "obviously refers to Koravellium Avast, She Who Brings the Dew at Dawn". It's amazing to know culti's name a last, but... it's a bit of an odd one, isn't it. Three things about it stand out to me-

1) What's up with the title? we haven't seen any shards with that before. and he doesn't refer to  her as simply as "thats a version of ()'s name", like he does with tanavast and rayse, implying the familiarity of khriss with the object. could it be this isn't Cultivation? or does he have the title because of cultural differences between her and other shards? (dragon cultivation, anyone?) and why did he mention it instead of just saying her name, like he didn't call tanavast Bringer Of Storms or whatever? 
2) The -ium suffix is weird. If we take Nazh's version of the name at point-value, Cultivation's god-metal would be Koravelliumium. Or Koravellium Avastium, which is only slightly less silly. could this not be the purest version of her name, but a reference to some aspect of her?
3) Avast, like in Tanavast. Is this a coincidence, a sign of being from the same culture as him (like a lot of alethi names end with -ar or -in), or something else? 

a posible theory is thtat the "title" is a translation of the name, meaning Avast might have something to do with Dawn, which means Tanavast's name is contains that idea too. seeming what we recently learned on dawnshards, this could become important or at least interesting.

What are your thoughts?

Great questions. 

I feel like a lot of the naming conventions in the cosmere are very deliberate - you knew Axindweth was a Terris worldhopper the moment you saw her name. From Elantrians to Alethi, Northern Scadrians to Thaylens, Brandon has been very deliberate in tying names to cultures. 

So from this we can draw some tentative conclusions:

1) It is likely that she is of a culture / race we've not encountered yet. 

2) She was / is someone that (holds an office or position that) Nazh, at least, respects enough to use her title. 

3) It is unlikely to be a coincidence that Tan'avast' and Koravellium 'Avast' end the same way so there is a tie there. Why did they choose to settle the same planet? Is it as simple as to be analogous to the surname of a married couple?

Speculation time: 

I like what you said about avast/dawn idea, that's something that could be explored. To me the linguistic jump out comes from the use of the suffixes ius/ium. In Latin, -ium is the male, and -ius is the neuter, with -ia being the femalen. If we put aside Latin genderisation however we have two suffixes that share a root.  So...

The only confirmed dragon we have referred to Hoid in a letter as "Cephandruis, Bearer of the First Gem". There's that -ius construction again, and there's another title. This time used by a dragon, suggesting to me at least that this could be a facet of their culture.

Thoughts?

52 minutes ago, Saradas said:

Great questions. 

I feel like a lot of the naming conventions in the cosmere are very deliberate - you knew Axindweth was a Terris worldhopper the moment you saw her name.

Me, who did not pick up on that at first, and only realized it MIGHT be a thing WHILE later thinking back on the rings:  *awkward look aside*

You made some absolutely fascinating points. I am currently digging through Cultivation related WoB's, and so far found a paraphrased 2013 WoB that she and honor were in fact romanticallly involved, which migh support point 3.

The connection you made to Cephandrius is brilliant - I read the letters again TODAY and didn't even come close to thinking about that- and i really think it's correct. Thank you!

2 hours ago, LiftIRL said:

In his gruffy grace, Nazh gave us some really useful information- amongst his glyphes for Rayse and Tanavast, the third glyph which would obviously be Cultivation reads "Koravari's light", and Nazh specifices "obviously refers to Koravellium Avast, She Who Brings the Dew at Dawn". It's amazing to know culti's name a last, but... it's a bit of an odd one, isn't it. Three things about it stand out to me-

Not odder than a Horneater name.

1) What's up with the title? we haven't seen any shards with that before. and he doesn't refer to  her as simply as "thats a version of ()'s name", like he does with tanavast

Well, it is not a version, it is an abbrevation.

and rayse, implying the familiarity of khriss with the object. could it be this isn't Cultivation? or does he have the title because of cultural differences between her and other shards? (dragon cultivation, anyone?) and why did he mention it instead of just saying her name, like he didn't call tanavast Bringer Of Storms or whatever? 

He may be using a title. The relation between the names is rather clear. "Tanavast" may just mean "Eldest/Leader of clan Avast" or "Husband of Avast". Like "The Took" if you want a literary example., In fact it might literally translate as "The Avast"

2) The -ium suffix is weird. If we take Nazh's version of the name at point-value, Cultivation's god-metal would be Koravelliumium. Or Koravellium Avastium, which is only slightly less silly. could this not be the purest version of her name, but a reference to some aspect of her?

The title may just as well be pre-ascension. In fact the speculation that people with the means to slay and butcher a god are above average in importance is not unreasonable.

11 hours ago, LiftIRL said:

The godmetal's name would be simply Koravellium:

Questioner (paraphrased)

If Waxillium will become a Vessel, would the godmetal created by him, be... the waxillium?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

He laughed and said it will be right in that way.

Lucca Comics and Games Festival (Oct. 28, 2016)

3) Avast, like in Tanavast. Is this a coincidence, a sign of being from the same culture as him (like a lot of alethi names end with -ar or -in), or something else? 

Cultivation seems to be the only Vessel with a surname or a family name, which could imply a Yolish noble or even royal origin. It would certainly explain her more reserved and haughty attitude towards Dalinar compared to Tanavast and Rayse. The 'avast' part of Tanavast could mean something akin to 'prince/king consort' then

Edit:

Cultivation's Vessel being a dragon has just just confirmed:

asmodeus

In Words of Radiance, Hoid says that there's only one person as old as him around, and seems to be referring to Cultivation's vessel. In Rhythm of War, he mentions there's a dragon on Roshar.

Are these two individuals the same, or are they separate?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. These two are the same.

General Reddit 2020 (Nov. 22, 2020)

Edited by KandraAllomancer

The connection you made to Cephandrius is brilliant - I read the letters again TODAY and didn't even come close to thinking about that- and i really think it's correct. Thank you!

12 hours ago, Saradas said:

The only confirmed dragon we have referred to Hoid in a letter as "Cephandruis, Bearer of the First Gem". There's that -ius construction again, and there's another title.

I'll throw in Midius. Hoid went by that name in one of the unpublished books, and Ash refers to a figure she knew when she was young by that name. I think it may have come up again in RoW too. I'd theorize that this was the name Hoid used when he moved among their society.

We've had WOB references that Honor and Cultivation's vessels were romantically involved before the shattering.  Thus, it seems logical that Cultivation's vessel took the -avast family name from Tan-avast.

Now in Dalinar's visions, Tanavast appeared as a broad shouldered but normal height dark skinned human wearing a gold vest and puffy pants.  What I want to know is if this is Tanvast's true form, and if so did he couple with a dragon-lady?  Because mad props to Tanavast if so.