Kaladin's new potential ship

Friendshipspren

So I'm a kinda longterm fan of Sylladin. I mean those two are already soul mates and they are literally perfect for eachother.

I mean kal is the storming stereotype of a brooding male YA male interest or protagonist ,while syl is the idea of a Manic Pixie Dreamgirl come alive. 

YA romance authors would have hated Sanderson lol. 

But unfortunately there was A Fault in thier Realms and it seemed they were never meant to be but now .... with ishar . Hmmmmm .

Ishar , the mad lad, has made Sylladin possible again. 
So yeah.  Sylladin LIVES. 

I wonder how the Stormfather would react to that ? 

He would be the ultimate stereotype of a  father in law who hates and has a bumpy relationship with his son in law lol. 

I wonder how Syl will cope with being human. 

Eating human food, growing hair , tasting something for the first time , pooping :P . Lol .

I really wanna see Syl become human and get hitched to kaladin and have immortal blue toned , wrong shadowed children with him. 

Just imagine those cuties going up to uncle Oroden . Awwwwww ♥️♥️♥️

So going more serious now , Honorspren  unlike almost every other sapiant Spren species , aside from inkspren , are the closest imitations of humans .

So as an aside ,  I was wondering if syl was pulled into the PR by ishar , would she have the inner physiological, esp reproductive anatomy compatible with humans ?Would kaladin be able to have children with her ?

If so what would they be like?

Then I realised that's the literal definition of Siah Aimians.

Half Spren , half human. 

Also Siah are shapeshifters tho they prefer a human form. Honorspren are exactly the same too. 

So we just may have precedent for this too. 

Edited by Dreamspren
A little polishing

16 hours ago, Danex said:

I don’t think Sylladin is gonna happen, and honestly, I think a romantic relationship would be a step down compared to the intimacy they already have with the Nahel Bond. Their souls are literally combined, I don’t think you can get more intimate than that. There’s no good real world analogy for it, because it’s somehow platonic, but at the same time so much more intimate than any possible relationship irl. I’m perfectly happy with their relationship as it is, and I severely doubt that anything romantic would ever stem from it. 

I like where Syl and Kal are at (and pretty much don't think Kal is in the right place for any romance at this point) but I don't agree any relationship would be a step down.

It would be as well as their current bond. And could be interesting to explore. 

Their close intimate interaction doesn't necessitate a romantic relationship but neither does it preclude it. Both could work

I could see it happening, especially now that we've seen spren bodies exist in the physical world. The spren being physical in the physical world can be used for both horror and beauty. But...I'm not entirely sure it would happen. It's also just a little lower on my Kaladin ship tier list (Updated November 20, 2020) than Leshwi and and tied with Tarah. But anything could happen!

People keep talking about Syladin saying “oh it’s possible now, we saw spren bodies in the physical realm”. Everyone seems to be glossing over the part about how those bodies are kinda super DEAD. Being in the physical realm is unnatural for them, it’s horrible. Even if you found a way to keep them alive, it’s probably excruciatingly painful. 

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

People keep talking about Syladin saying “oh it’s possible now, we saw spren bodies in the physical realm”. Everyone seems to be glossing over the part about how those bodies are kinda super DEAD. Being in the physical realm is unnatural for them, it’s horrible. Even if you found a way to keep them alive, it’s probably excruciatingly painful. 

I agree with this. Ishar had plenty of time to figure this stuff out and he couldn't. Perhaps it was because he was partly insane, but I just don't think it's feasibly possible. It's probably one of those things where Brandon says it's technically possible but would "take a lot" to happen.

Also, relevant WOB-man just doing his duty with a WOB on Sylladin!

Spoiler

Questioner

Is there even the babiest tiniest little bitty babiest chance of Syl and Kaladin ever being able to be together?

Brandon Sanderson

That would take a lot.

Questioner

But itty bitty babiest chance?

Brandon Sanderson

Itty bitty babiest chance? Sure.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

I think it's relevant because it's mentioned that Syl wanted this at a time, then the Stormfather mentions he doesn't have the power but not the ability, but then the ability is proven to be possible.

Brandon previously said that dead sprenblades could theoretically be revived but would be very difficult without their original partner, but we're seeing a form of that with Adolin. (Which they also thought was impossible in-universe.)

This book also shows us that things that are good can also be used used to create evil things, and vice-versa. There is an Anti-Voidlight, so there must be an Anti-Stormlight...and they're right. So if Spren can be bought to the physical realm for horror, I think there's a way to bring them into the physical realm for...non-horror means. Although I think their relationship would be easier in different ways, assuming it happens, such as living in the Cognitive Realm or maybe even becoming a Cognitive Shadow. 

This book changed a LOT about how we view spren and death and Investiture and, frankly everything. I think we need to be a little more open to what could be. 

Again, I don't have a major horse in this race, but I just think that this book shows us that improbable things are still possible. 

4 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I think it's relevant because it's mentioned that Syl wanted this at a time, then the Stormfather mentions he doesn't have the power but not the ability, but then the ability is proven to be possible.

Syl didn’t want to become human, she wanted to know what it was like to have depression. Completely different context. 

I am not sure that I see Kaladin and Syl as lovers as much as... well siblings, or very close friends. Their relationship is very much built around emotions and feelings, and the ability to help eachother. I think having them in a physical romance would take away something from that. But those are just my personal views. 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, MONARCH said:

I ship anyone with Kaladin so long as he/she/it is not Laral.

Hear, hear 

On 12/2/2020 at 5:38 AM, Ookla the Unnamable said:

Please no. I do not want Sylladin to be a thing. I think that captain Ico summed it up nicely in the OB when he said that a spren bond is far more intimate than marriage.

Also hear, hear

First of all, Kaladin is a sexual being, Syl is a Cognitive being with barely any substance and she does not feel sexually attracted to anyone. Spren reproduce asexually and we haven't seen any romantic spren pairings either.

Second of all, I'm not quite sure why, but the idea of human-spren relationships feel repugnant. Maybe inter-species just makes me go ick.

Third of all, what they have is already a significant relationship. A romantic relationship is not the natural progression of all good relationships, friendship is good too.

On 02/12/2020 at 2:37 AM, Subvisual Haze said:

It can't be unintentional that Kaladin is completely without (non-Syl) relationship prospects 4 books into this series.  Nor can it be a coincidence that the childlike and carefree nature of Syl has been corrupted by Kaladin's sadbrains and knowledge/dwelling on the inevitability of death/loss.

It might just be, and I have to applaud this option, that Kal WON'T get a romantic option.

He's not in the right place for one. He's not ready. Lin knew that. It isn't what he needs right now. Syl offers more of what he needs right now. I don't object to Sylladin as a ship, and I think it could work as they really do seem much closer than any other Nahel couple, and they suit each other in many regards, but Syl offers a lot without adding romance in.

Not every major character NEEDS a romantic arc, certainly not in-narrative. Sex isn't the focus of the entire universe. Other types of love are important too, and much like say Elsa in Frozen, focus on non-romantic love can be refreshing.

Haha the moment I listened to that chapter I also thought "uhhh aren't there Syl x Kaladin shippers? they have hope now I guess".

Hm. Personally I really liked the spren as concepts who can gain consciousness a lot. I was a little disappointed by how human-like they actually are, but got used to it and like the story. Spren/spren or spren/human romance would go further down the "oh and they are even more humanlike, I'm disappointed" road. But yeah. I can see why you ship them (or Adolin & Maya) and yeah, it's cute. I hope it won't happen for personal preferences, but yeah - cute.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:30 PM, IndigoAjah said:

It might just be, and I have to applaud this option, that Kal WON'T get a romantic option.

He's not in the right place for one. He's not ready. Lin knew that. It isn't what he needs right now. Syl offers more of what he needs right now. I don't object to Sylladin as a ship, and I think it could work as they really do seem much closer than any other Nahel couple, and they suit each other in many regards, but Syl offers a lot without adding romance in.

Not every major character NEEDS a romantic arc, certainly not in-narrative. Sex isn't the focus of the entire universe. Other types of love are important too, and much like say Elsa in Frozen, focus on non-romantic love can be refreshing.

If I could max out my upvotes on this I would. 

On 12/7/2020 at 8:55 PM, Honorless said:

Hear, hear 

Also hear, hear

First of all, Kaladin is a sexual being, Syl is a Cognitive being with barely any substance and she does not feel sexually attracted to anyone. Spren reproduce asexually and we haven't seen any romantic spren pairings either.

Second of all, I'm not quite sure why, but the idea of human-spren relationships feel repugnant. Maybe inter-species just makes me go ick.

Third of all, what they have is already a significant relationship. A romantic relationship is not the natural progression of all good relationships, friendship is good too.

@HonorlessCongratulations for earning reputation as a Voidbringer xD

Kal won't get love in this arc guys, let just be happy and write our fanfics. I support that he doesn't need romance, he's well enough-- very well enough without it to be added. 

Edited by Ramona Tehradin

On 3.12.2020 at 1:41 AM, Use the Falchion said:

I could see it happening, especially now that we've seen spren bodies exist in the physical world.

If that were the issue they could just live in Shadesmar.

On 3.12.2020 at 1:41 AM, Use the Falchion said:

The spren being physical in the physical world can be used for both horror and beauty. But...I'm not entirely sure it would happen. It's also just a little lower on my Kaladin ship tier list (Updated November 20, 2020) than Leshwi and and tied with Tarah. But anything could happen!

Well, OK, anything can happen. Kaladin is going to marry Cultivation and their babies will be half dragons and fly around the valley. And Oroden will bond the Nightwatcher and become the third Bondsmith.

On 13/12/2020 at 8:30 AM, Oltux72 said:

If that were the issue they could just live in Shadesmar.

Well, OK, anything can happen. Kaladin is going to marry Cultivation and their babies will be half dragons and fly around the valley. And Oroden will bond the Nightwatcher and become the third Bondsmith.

You know this is going to be what Sanderson writes now

On 12/13/2020 at 2:00 PM, Oltux72 said:

That Tanavast reference won't get ignored by Cultivation nor she could resist our hot as storms Brightlord Brooding Stormblessed. I can see this happening and I totally ship it! Give us something unpredictable Brandon!

Imagine the horror in Wit's face after this happens. Todium would be ravaged by a brood of baby dragons.