Electricity (To kill people)

Aspiring Writer

On 1.12.2020 at 9:42 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

Kinda, yeah.

That means that most the (if correct and quite interesting to read) comments regarding lightning and armour and stuff is negated.
You could have someone be able to form a potential different between their hands, then touch people on either side of the heart and even a small current would be able to give a heart attack.

But, the second question sort of forms: Do you want the victim to die insantly from this?

1 hour ago, Krox said:

That means that most the (if correct and quite interesting to read) comments regarding lightning and armour and stuff is negated.
You could have someone be able to form a potential different between their hands, then touch people on either side of the heart and even a small current would be able to give a heart attack.

But, the second question sort of forms: Do you want the victim to die insantly from this?

Within 1 to 5 or 7 seconds, yeah.

I was trying to rein in the conversation and going back to the basics!
Killing by electrocution is a hard subject, I find it hard giving you any good answer @Aspiring Writer

If your killer can make a high voltage difference between their hands, and touch the skin (or something say a very thin cloth) on each side of the head it would probably cause a quick brain death. The ampere doesn't necessarily need to be that high.
Someone could correct me though..!

7 hours ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Lightning is hard.

This is why I'm making my own laws of Physics.

...defuq? That sounds both intriguing and horrifying. Also, I could wave my hand and say "Magic" if I want, I'd just rather not to because having those restrictions can make a story more interesting, and also more fun to write.

16 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

...defuq? That sounds both intriguing and horrifying. Also, I could wave my hand and say "Magic" if I want, I'd just rather not to because having those restrictions can make a story more interesting, and also more fun to write.

Yeah, I honestly prefer hard magic to soft magic.

• 1 year later...

Is this active because you haven't posted for like four months. Umm... can I sign up to kill some one with electricity?

Me like learning literally watching video on electricity right now

9 minutes ago, Oreo made of cheese said:

Is this active because you haven't posted for like four months. Umm... can I sign up to kill some one with electricity?

Me like learning literally watching video on electricity right now

A threads activity is determined by how long it has been since the last post.

As it's been two years this thread is considered "dead"

• 4 weeks later...

Fitting that a thread about electricity of all things would be necromanced :) - I probably shouldn't contribute to this but I can't help myself.

Having taser hands as a magic power actually seems like it could yield a lot of really interesting results. It could potentially interesting weapon combat - one could dual wield thin long swords to effectively forcefully stick high-voltage battery terminals into an opponent, and maybe actually use the otherwise stupid nunchucks effectively (as grabbing both ends of the nunchuck would run current through it).

Perhaps more interestingly, a taser-handed who is precise and knowledgeable enough could do some interesting biological manipulation. Why use CPR if you're a living defibrillator? Why use reigns on a mount if you can just forcefully contract its muscles yourself?

Electricity, literally being the flow of fundamental particles that are basically ever present, is woefully underutilized as "pew pew shoot lightning bolt" in most fantasy settings.

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 4:28 PM, CrypticSpren said:

Fitting that a thread about electricity of all things would be necromanced :) - I probably shouldn't contribute to this but I can't help myself.

Having taser hands as a magic power actually seems like it could yield a lot of really interesting results. It could potentially interesting weapon combat - one could dual wield thin long swords to effectively forcefully stick high-voltage battery terminals into an opponent, and maybe actually use the otherwise stupid nunchucks effectively (as grabbing both ends of the nunchuck would run current through it).

Perhaps more interestingly, a taser-handed who is precise and knowledgeable enough could do some interesting biological manipulation. Why use CPR if you're a living defibrillator? Why use reigns on a mount if you can just forcefully contract its muscles yourself?

Electricity, literally being the flow of fundamental particles that are basically ever present, is woefully underutilized as "pew pew shoot lightning bolt" in most fantasy settings.

For some odd reason I cannot edit my original response to the thread, but I will quote you here. Lol! Yes, I agree, weapons by electricity should definitely be used more in fantasy!

It would be cool if electrictal currents could somehow be used to alter a person's response to certain stimuli.

Okay, now I have found this cool Sci-Show psych video on it: 

Edited by solarcat93

I guess this technology has been done... I believe the powers in the (non-Sanderson) YA series

Spoiler

Darkest Minds, including the mind-enhancing and altering Green and Orange powers,

are explained to be a manifestation of the ability to control electricity in different ways, though it felt a bit like a retroactive handwavey pseudo-science explanation. I really do want to see a character with electrical power build up their toolkit of tricks from first principles.

1 hour ago, CrypticSpren said:

I guess this technology has been done... I believe the powers in the (non-Sanderson) YA series

Reveal hidden contents

Darkest Minds, including the mind-enhancing and altering Green and Orange powers,

are explained to be a manifestation of the ability to control electricity in different ways, though it felt a bit like a retroactive handwavey pseudo-science explanation. I really do want to see a character with electrical power build up their toolkit of tricks from first principles.

I have never read Skyward despite being a teen, but maybe I'll try it someday.

P.S., "retroactive handwavey pseudeo-science explanation" l0l.

Editorial note: I read sci-fi and I'm not sure why, but I feel that Sanderson is one of those authors who strongly specializes in epic fantasy and is eh for other sub-genres such as sci-fi.

Edited by solarcat93

• 6 months later...

the amount of electricity required to kill a person varies greatly depending on various factors such as the person's body size, the type of electrical source, and the method of exposure. Electrocution is a very serious matter and should never be taken lightly. If you have any concerns or questions about electrical safety, it is best to consult with a qualified professional. but please this information is very harmful.

Edited by hassanizhar