The Baseless Theory Game

Rushu42

It's quite possible that a thread similar to this one already exists, but as I haven't seen any in precisely this format, here goes.

The idea of this thread is as follows: someone posts a baseless theory - the more implausible, the better - and the next people in the thread must defend it as they would any true theory, with evidence and logic. For this to work, the theory has to be something that's possible in the hypothetical. If it's directly contradicted by the text, you obviously can't make a convincing argument for it. Beyond that, however, the limits are endless. You get more points for how well construed your argument is (there isn't actually a formal points system or anything, but you can assign theories points in your head). Good luck!

Here's one to start us off: Tindwyl is secretly an aspect of Autonomy.

42 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Tindwyl is secretly an aspect of Autonomy.

She wants nothing more than for Elend to make his burgeoning nation autonomous from what came before, and keep it that way in face of the advancing armies, and while she doesn't want to go offer the same advice to the leaders of the advancing war-states, she feels drawn to do so in exactly the same way a Shard has to carry out its Intent. Her particular mutation of Autonomy could be something like Autonomy-in-the-face-of-Adversity, leading to this exact thing.

For the next person: Vivenna-as-Azure isn't actually the Vivenna from Warbreaker.

Think about it: When we last saw Vivenna on her way to leave Nalthis, she had a lot of breaths, but nowhere NEAR enough to animate herself a sword like the one she has. Most of the details we treat as confirming she is Vivenna is the evidence for her being from Nalthis, vague talk of her being royal/ abandoning a responsibility, and indications she traveled with vasher in the past and learned from him. Vasher is immortal, and we have NO idea how much time passed between Warbreaker and OB! she could be Vivenna's grand-grand daughter, or an ancient Nalthian Immortal who used to know Vasher before he made nightblood and warned him not to, now intent on punishing him for doing it and making an abomination (I know the other Scholars are dead but no one ever said other people from that era are too.)

For the next one, a crazy theory I have been Legit Believing In for years: one of the people involved in the shattering was some kind of sentient horse.

12 hours ago, LiftIRL said:

Think about it: When we last saw Vivenna on her way to leave Nalthis, she had a lot of breaths, but nowhere NEAR enough to animate herself a sword like the one she has. Most of the details we treat as confirming she is Vivenna is the evidence for her being from Nalthis, vague talk of her being royal/ abandoning a responsibility, and indications she traveled with vasher in the past and learned from him. Vasher is immortal, and we have NO idea how much time passed between Warbreaker and OB! she could be Vivenna's grand-grand daughter, or an ancient Nalthian Immortal who used to know Vasher before he made nightblood and warned him not to, now intent on punishing him for doing it and making an abomination (I know the other Scholars are dead but no one ever said other people from that era are too.)

For the next one, a crazy theory I have been Legit Believing In for years: one of the people involved in the shattering was some kind of sentient horse.

We've seen spren imagined by nonhumans (probably Rhyshadium, among others), and we've seen the Rhyshadium themselves, who definitely have some relationship to the cognitive realm and are, according to their riders, much more than horses. The WoB about there being only three intelligent species on Yolen throws a bit of a wrench into things though. As I see it, this necessitates either that our Horseman was a pre-shattering alien, or perhaps some kind of sentient investiture like the spren and sprenhorses. I will posit that Adolnasium left a field of background investiture around Yolen by nature of being SO powerful, and the investiture could form into spren-analogues of any creatures who observed it for an extended period of time. I'll also say that Yolish horses, like earth creatures, are herd animals, so the cumulative observation of the energy in the herds of Yolen was significant to create a horsey-aspect, who slowly developed high enough level intelligence to plot, and to plan, and soon to overthrow the bipedal one's god and hope to replace it with a properly-quadrupedal deity.

My theory: Kaladin Stormblessed is a dragon in human form, having not yet realized his lineage

1 hour ago, AirsickHighlander said:

We've seen spren imagined by nonhumans (probably Rhyshadium, among others), and we've seen the Rhyshadium themselves, who definitely have some relationship to the cognitive realm and are, according to their riders, much more than horses. The WoB about there being only three intelligent species on Yolen throws a bit of a wrench into things though. As I see it, this necessitates either that our Horseman was a pre-shattering alien, or perhaps some kind of sentient investiture like the spren and sprenhorses. I will posit that Adolnasium left a field of background investiture around Yolen by nature of being SO powerful, and the investiture could form into spren-analogues of any creatures who observed it for an extended period of time. I'll also say that Yolish horses, like earth creatures, are herd animals, so the cumulative observation of the energy in the herds of Yolen was significant to create a horsey-aspect, who slowly developed high enough level intelligence to plot, and to plan, and soon to overthrow the bipedal one's god and hope to replace it with a properly-quadrupedal deity.

My theory: Kaladin Stormblessed is a dragon in human form, having not yet realized his lineage

Considering that there's a lot of unknowns on Hesina's side of the family, and the thing in OB where he kills that spren, which we still don't really have an explanation for, and the stormfather calling him 'Son of Tanavast', there's certainly ground for that.  After all, just because Tanavast shows up as a human, doesn't mean he is one.

Theory: Kelsier has an Aviar friend.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

@Spren of KindnessWell. Without ROW spoilers, Mraize's presence and having both a masked southern scadrian and a big green Aviar, we know they are available around the cosmere at the same time, so, Avair are available for purchasing/generally bonding in a time frame where presumably Kelsier is out there, world-hopping, presumably trying to gather anything that will make him stronger and better. The most common variety of Aviar that we know of work by blocking a person's presence from mind probing- like allomantic copper- and from being sense by an awakener's life sense. that would be great for Kelsier, sneaky-man in chief, made even sneakier by he fact he's operating entirely from the shadows nowadays, hiding from humans and shardic forces alike! It's good for him and he can get it, and Kelsier, Survivor Of Hathsin, does not miss on opportunities for new magic boosts (11th metal?)

Theory: Bert from Mary Poppins is Hoid (I hope this is allowed...) 

Edited by LiftIRL

On 11/23/2020 at 6:27 AM, LiftIRL said:

Theory: Bert from Mary Poppins is Hoid (I hope this is allowed...) 

They are both eccentric and energetic. Nobody else has that level of energy. Need I say anything else?

Adonalsium was a Shard of an even greater being.

@Spren of Kindness BASELESS theories. Anything involving Kell is not baseless because impossible is that thing he did yesterday. And anything more is a RoW spoiler.

On 11/24/2020 at 7:10 AM, Chinkoln said:

They are both eccentric and energetic. Nobody else has that level of energy. Need I say anything else?

Adonalsium was a Shard of an even greater being.

Adonalsium wasn’t shattered into Shards and Shards can be splintered. So there’s no reason why Adonalsium couldn’t have been a Shard or Splinter of something greater. Maybe the God Beyond?

Mraize is Kell’s kid with a Thaylen Worldhopper.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:08 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Mraize is Kell’s kid with a Thaylen Worldhopper.

Kell always claims there is another secret. Funny enough, this is perfectly in line with lightweaver philosophy. He works with a kandra, a master of disguise similar to a lightweaver. We know next to nothing about Mare. Is it really that implausible that Mare was a lightweaver? She bonded a spren after the recreance but before Jasnah. She and Kell had a child, but Mare kept him hidden from Kell with her lightweaving because she knew that Kell didn’t want to have kids. She always pushed for Kell to want kids so she could reveal Mraize. Mare took Maize with her to the Pits of Hathsin when she and Kell were sentenced to go there. Mare knew that she was going to let herself get killed for Kell, so she showed Mraize the shardpool she used to get onto the planet.

As my last argument, I submit Mraize’s chicken. He always brings a colorful one around with him because Scadrial had very little color at the time he was there. He likes the reminder of color in the cosmere.

For the next person: Jezrien was a shard vessel. Moash took up the shard when he killed Jezrien.