The Eyree-tank

Czernobog

I had assumed from Secret History that the constructs the Eyree used to hold the "glowing liquid" were storing Investiture from Devotion or Dominion (I always mix up the two). In Lasting Integrity, we learn that they willingly sell devices to store Investiture, and it works with Stormlight, so they've generalized it. Neat!

Can you tell me where you saw the reference to the Eyree, like what chapter? It's been driving me nuts, because I made a note in my head to look this up later but I can't find it in the book and don't even remember when it was except that it was in the last 300 pages. And I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

1 hour ago, Hayama said:

Can you tell me where you saw the reference to the Eyree, like what chapter?

Chapter 87.

She let her eyes flutter open and found that most of the Stormlight was contained in a large construction at the center of the room. A kind of vat, or tall jar. This was technology Shallan hadn’t heard of before coming to Shadesmar, and apparently not even the honorspren knew how it worked. They could be purchased from a group of strange traveling merchants called the Eyree.

Thank you! I think it's perhaps one of the least interesting of the Cosmere crossover tidbits, but it's interesting to have confirmation that the Ire are on Roshar. I wonder if they have a fortress like they do on Scadrial somewhere in Shadesmar, or perhaps they're able to subsist on Stormlight like Vasher seems to. Since travel in the Selish Cognitive Realm is dangerous, I don't think they'd constantly be traveling to and fro.

30 minutes ago, Hayama said:

Thank you! I think it's perhaps one of the least interesting of the Cosmere crossover tidbits, but it's interesting to have confirmation that the Ire are on Roshar.

I hate to say this, but this confirms nothing

1. The device could be thousands of years old
  2. It may be second hand
  3. Or they had middlemen buy it at a trade fair.

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

I hate to say this, but this confirms nothing

1. The device could be thousands of years old
  2. It may be second hand
  3. Or they had middlemen buy it at a trade fair.

Well, at the very least it confirms that a group calling themselves the Eyree are selling Selish technology. We know they can leave Sel as they are on Scadrial, or at least the edges of it, and they can distill the Dor into something portable that can sustain them. Why wouldn't they extend their presence to Roshar, which we know is relatively easy to get to?

11 minutes ago, Hayama said:

Well, at the very least it confirms that a group calling themselves the Eyree are selling Selish technology.

Right.

11 minutes ago, Hayama said:

We know they can leave Sel as they are on Scadrial, or at least the edges of it, and they can distill the Dor into something portable that can sustain them. Why wouldn't they extend their presence to Roshar, which we know is relatively easy to get to?

1. nasty Shard close by
  2. Fused
  3. nasty Larkin eating Investiture

5 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Right.

1. nasty Shard close by
  2. Fused
  3. nasty Larkin eating Investiture

I'd acknowledge this except that Riino is actually living in Shadesmar. I think this is evidence that he's not just some refugee or an isolated case, but that the whole group has a presence on Roshar and don't seem to be all that secretive about it.

3 minutes ago, Hayama said:

I'd acknowledge this except that Riino is actually living in Shadesmar. I think this is evidence that he's not just some refugee or an isolated case, but that the whole group has a presence on Roshar and don't seem to be all that secretive about it.

I suspect that Riino as the last true Elantrian - and that is how they will see it. The upstarts under Raoden don't count - is the most junior member and rumored to not be entirely stable (they may have a point). Somehow he permantly draws the shortest straw and has to man the early warning station.

The only time we really saw the Ire the bonds among the members were not friendship and mutual valuation, but rather cooperation for a common goal under jealous, pompous and greedy competitors.

50 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

I suspect that Riino as the last true Elantrian - and that is how they will see it. The upstarts under Raoden don't count - is the most junior member and rumored to not be entirely stable (they may have a point). Somehow he permantly draws the shortest straw and has to man the early warning station.

The only time we really saw the Ire the bonds among the members were not friendship and mutual valuation, but rather cooperation for a common goal under jealous, pompous and greedy competitors.

Perhaps. I guess we'll have to wait and see until we have more information.