Inconsistency in SA (VERY VERY VERY minor book 4 spoiler, small book 3 spoiler)

Commander Azure

Only two Radiant Orders have access to each Surge. However, three have access to Stoneshaping: Bondsmiths, Stonewards, and Willshapers. Stonewards and Willshapers each use the Stoneshaping Surge in Book 4 (Won't go into detail, as I don't want to put it on the spoiler boards), but Dalinar "healing" the temple in Thaylenah, in Book 3, was described by the Stormfather (I think) as an application of the Stoneshaping Surge, and, in addition, the Stormfather told Dalinar that Stoneshaping is the other of his two Surges.

1 hour ago, Commander Azure said:

Only two Radiant Orders have access to each Surge. However, three have access to Stoneshaping: Bondsmiths, Stonewards, and Willshapers. Stonewards and Willshapers each use the Stoneshaping Surge in Book 4 (Won't go into detail, as I don't want to put it on the spoiler boards), but Dalinar "healing" the temple in Thaylenah, in Book 3, was described by the Stormfather (I think) as an application of the Stoneshaping Surge, and, in addition, the Stormfather told Dalinar that Stoneshaping is the other of his two Surges.

I think that the stormfather said that the Bondsmiths have a different form of stone shaping than Stonewards. 

1 hour ago, Commander Azure said:

There are two different surges that make up Stonewarding: Tension and Cohesion. That is why three Radiant orders have some access to stonewarding.

There is an error in OB text, Bondsmiths have Tension and Adhesion. Their application can have some effects similar to Stonehshaping, but it seems to be mostly Cohesion which Bondsmiths lack:

Pagerunner

I was at the Houston signing, and Brandon referred me to you on a few technical questions that I was asking him, since he he was quite "brain dead."

First was what Surges the Bondsmiths have. Based on the ordering in the Ars Arcanum in WoR and OB, they should have Tension. But the application of the shared Surge we saw for both Stonewards and Bondsmiths in OB looks to line up more with Brandon's previous description of Cohesion from the Words of Radiance tour. (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/223/#e6061, although he did identify it as a Willshaper Surge there.) Brandon believed it was an error in the Ars Arcanum, and that Bondsmiths do have Cohesion, but he told me to confirm that with you.

Peter Ahlstrom

What power did you see in the book that Bondsmiths and Stonewards share?

Pagerunner

In Chapter 38:

The Shardbearer pressed his hand against the incline leading up to the Voidbringer, and again the stone seemed to writhe. Steps formed in the rock, as if it were made of wax that could flow and be shaped.

"And that Shardbearer I saw? A Herald?"

No. Merely a Stoneward. The Surge that changed the stone is the other you may learn, though it may serve you differently.

Which seems to align with how Brandon has previously described Cohesion in the past, as opposed to Tension.

I assume this Surge is what Dalinar used to repair the temple of Talenel in Chapter 59, but that's not actually essential to the point.

Peter Ahlstrom

I think this has to be an error in the text.

Pagerunner

Sorry, which do you think is the error? The order of Surges in the Ars Arcanum? Or the Stormfather's statement to Dalinar?

Peter Ahlstrom

The Stormfather's statement.

Peter Ahlstrom

I have verified with Brandon that what the Stormfather said here is wrong and will be corrected in the future.

General Reddit 2017 (Dec. 14, 2017)