Windrunner shard plate

Valigus

We don't know. So far the only other person with Plate we've seen on-screen, using it, is Jasnah, and she was deliberately pretending to be just a normal Shardbearer.

I'd guess it's a Windrunner thing? Protecting others with their plate seems very windrunner-y.

2 hours ago, earthexile said:

There's an interesting irony to the 4th Oath. Accepting that you can't always protect everyone confers an extremely powerful ability to protect others. 

Just because you can't successfully protect everyone doesn't mean you don't try every single time.

Edited by Beltway2A

4 minutes ago, AlejandroTeodoro said:

I think 5th ideal will be something related with Leadership even if it’s also involve protection 

That’s one of the two theories. The other is that the fifth oath builds on the fourth like the third builds on the second. Note that these theories aren’t contradictory. Accepting that you SHOULD not save someone, even if you can, is an important skill for a leader. Sometimes you need to let your people go and do what they must, even if that means sending them to their deaths.

My head started spinning when this happened on screen. I always figured the living plate offered more than just protection for the KR but never thought of this. Will be cool to see if this is a WR only ability or if other orders have different plate abilities. Like an Edge Dancer can turn theirs in to a healing AoE. 

I agree. The living Shardplate-armor flying protection system is simply badass. 

I'm not sure if its just normal Windrunner thing or Kaladin is making something special out of it. My bet is on later actually. I think it's Kaladin's ability and it comes hardly as surprise because he seems to have intense control over highstorms- now being the only person so far to having it freaking twice deflected! And IIRC, he called in Windsprens to make that happen and he wasn't even close to 4th Ideal during first part of Oathbringer when he created that wind break by summoning and controlling Windsprens. 

Here's what happened in Oathbringer: 

Spoiler

Consumed by his pain and feelings of betrayal, Kaladin surged with Stormlight and flung his hand forward as if to try to push back the wind itself.

A hundred windspren spun in as lines of light, twisting around his arm, wrapping it like ribbons. They surged with Light, then exploded outward in a blinding sheet, sweeping to Kaladin’s sides and parting the winds around him.

Kaladin stood with his hand toward the tempest, and deflected it. Like a stone in a swift-moving river stopped the waters, he opened a pocket in the storm, creating a calm wake behind him.

The storm raged against him, but he held the point in a formation of windspren that spread from him like wings, diverting the storm. He managed to turn his head as the storm battered him. People huddled behindhim, soaked, confused—surrounded by calm.

“Go!” he shouted. “Go!

They found their feet, the young father taking his son back from Kaladin’s leeward arm. Kaladin backed up with them, maintaining the windbreak. This group was only some of those trapped by the winds, yet it took everything Kaladin had to hold the tempest.

The winds seemed angry at him for his defiance. All it would take was one boulder.

A figure with glowing red eyes landed on the field before him. It advanced, but the people had finally reached the bunker. Kaladin sighed and released the winds, and the spren behind him scattered. 

Wow, Syl said in his mind. What did you just do? With the storm?

It seems that whatever Kaladin did was never seen before. I mean...yeah, you just don't go deflecting a highstorm.

Here's what he did in RoW

Spoiler
Kaladin exploded through the darkness, surrounded by a thousand joyful windspren, swirling like a vortex. “Go!” he shouted. “Find him!”
Though it felt like he’d been falling for hours, he had spent most of that time in the place between moments. If he was still falling through the sky, mere seconds had passed, and his father was falling somewhere below him.
Still alive.
Kaladin pointed downward, reaching out, preparing himself as hundreds of windspren met the storm and blew it back, creating an open path. A tunnel of light leading toward a single figure tumbling in the air, distant.

What Lirin saw: 

He opened his eyes and searched upward to find a column of radiant light stretching hundreds of feet in the air, holding back the storm. Windspren? Thousands upon thousands of them.

Lirin dangled from the gauntleted fist of a Shardbearer in resplendent Shardplate. Armor that seemed alive as it glowed a vibrant blue at the seams, Bridge Four glyphs emblazoned across the chest.

A flying Shardbearer. Storms. It was him.

Kaladin proved it by rotating so that they were right-­side up—­then hoisting Lirin into a tight embrace. Remarkably, as Lirin touched the Plate, he couldn’t feel it. It became completely transparent—­barely visible, in fact, as a faint outline around Kaladin.

If you read Lirin's description, Kaladin already had a Shardplate but thousands of windpren were still stopping the highstorm- an abnormal amount instructed by Kaladin to do so. In Oathbringer, Kal 'cajoled' windpren to do the windbreak. I haven't seen anyone literally commanding sprens to do something so powerful before.

Also, if you all remember from Dalinar's vision, the Windrunner who came to rescue Dalinar (Heb), his wife and daughter already had a Shardplate and Re-Sephir was sending her pawns to attack them. Clearly he was efficient enough in his combat to face them with grace then why didn't he summon his Shardplate as armour over these three innocents? The Stoneward came later, and those seconds could've led to anything. My assumption is, either they didn't know that or the Windrunner couldn't do it. 

There are a lot of things which makes little sense about Kaladin but from above passages, he clearly has control over windspren/winds/storms. If that is the case then imagine having thousands of windspren around him and Kaladin could easily summon temporary Shardplates over innocents through simple command! Brandon is being very sneaky about it. Maybe we can ask him specifically in some Q&A session?

On 11/21/2020 at 2:33 PM, Jescape said:

I wonder if every order has some special ability with regard to either their plate or their blade.

Any ideas on what they would be for each?

I've long suspected that Willshapers amd Stonewards could use Cohesion to make their Shardblades flexible. This would open up the possiblities for Shard-razorwire Shard-whips or even compliant mechanisms, allowing you to make some really complex stuff. Transportation is also the Surge of Motion as well as realmatic transition so I could see a Willshaper controlling these construct remotely. Imagine Walter from Hellsing Ultimate. The dude had magic wire that he could control with his mind that cut buildings in half. I think thats what a Willshaper looks like at full potential.

9 hours ago, Jescape said:

I had a thought the other night that perhaps Lightweavers could make their shardplate invisible or make it look like something else.

Shardplates are mostly transparent and invisible to eyes. They are always present around the Knight and construct when summoned. Maybe Lightweavers can expand their illusions through Shardplates? Because I remember living Shardplates do not consume the same amount of Stormlight as dead ones do. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2020 at 1:47 AM, Ramona Tehradin said:

Shardplates are mostly transparent and invisible to eyes. They are always present around the Knight and construct when summoned. Maybe Lightweavers can expand their illusions through Shardplates? Because I remember living Shardplates do not consume the same amount of Stormlight as dead ones do. 

Yeah soemthing I just realized kaladin seems to be summoning and un summoning his shardplate with no cost to his stormlight, which either means radiant plate just straight up doesn’t need stormlight to hold or respawn ibc and spawning it again heals it up whcih is of cours insane, on top of that he could do it instantly, especially with kaladin who has insane feats of agility may very well be Abel to just never deplete the plate in a fight.

Brandon hinted that what Kaladin did was unique to Windrunners. At least some of what he did. It could be that aspects of the spren....always in motion, moving, not being confined...relate to the special abilities of that plate. Being able to zoom around.

That also made me think how other "related" spren would affect plate. We might have already seen that with Shallon, during the OB scene when she summons an army. Some of them had mass....it could be part of her armors aspect is assisting in adding soulcasting to her illusions and we were seeing a hint of that. Much like how we saw a hint of Kaladins plate as well.

Whatever Jasnah did when Adolin came up on her in OB....soldiers being flung around and geometric shapes around her...is also probably a unique plate ability.

Mistspren....maybe invisibility/camouflage? 

Lifespren....progression at a distance.

Gloryspren...no idea. My first thought was some kind of inspiration or mood enhancement. But that might not fit with the bondsmith oaths/surges

Are there any other minor spren/ Radiant match ups that we know about?

If plate works the same way for all orders, it kind of shows how paranoid Jasnah is during battle. If her plate works the same way, it was always around her already, ready to come to her defense. But she doesn’t even trust that when taking a break, just leaving her head bare to eat and drink.

Don’t really blame her though, after her experience on the ship.

39 minutes ago, Kitch said:

Gloryspren...no idea. My first thought was some kind of inspiration or mood enhancement. But that might not fit with the bondsmith oaths/surges

I mean a morale boost effect could be VERY USEFUL for giving Radiants a push to swear new ideals or just to comfort them.

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said I don't think we know if it's Windrunner exclusive. I doubt that only Windrunners can do it, but a Windrunner like Kaladin is the type of person who would even think to use it this way to begin with, protecting others and all that. 

Jasnah is the only other person we see a lot of who has living plate and she's been keeping it a secret even through Oathbringer. She couldn't lend it out in the past without giving away her secret. 

Nale might have earned plate, but he doesn't use it in when fighting. The Heralds didn't have plate during the desolations. Nale is probably used to fighting without it. Plus he's crazy.

Edited by Child of Hodor

2 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Nale might have earned plate, but he doesn't use it in when fighting. The Heralds didn't have plate during the desolations. Nale is probably used to fighting without it. Plus he's crazy.

He's also good enough not to need it.