What did Mraize trade?

Oltux72

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Eureka!  I was going over the epigraphs with Jescape for their project and got the answer to this question.

It matches all the descriptions,

makes sense, and is clearly stated.

It is valuable only a few times unfortunately. And we are talking about a repeatable payment.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I don't understand.  I think it is pretty clear.

Mraize indicated that this payment woul be periodically repeated. Presumably the payment would be the same, or the Fused would be required to accept a vague promise. Now such a chain is valuable while it is rare. But it has little practical value. So how would such a transaction run smoothly?

42 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Mraize indicated that this payment woul be periodically repeated. Presumably the payment would be the same, or the Fused would be required to accept a vague promise. Now such a chain is valuable while it is rare. But it has little practical value. So how would such a transaction run smoothly?

That is not what he said.

"That is not the gift," he said.  That is a mere advance on our future payments

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

I figure what he meant was, “We will pay you in rare Cosmere artifacts.” Like White Sand.

• 2 years later...

It was a chain from Threnody that he gave her. "I have recently obtained a chain from the lands of the dead, said to be able to anchor a person through Cognitive anomalies. I fail to see what use it could be to me, as I am unable to leave the Rosharan system. But it is a priceless object nonetheless." -chapter heading for Rhythm of War, chapter 64.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:04 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

And Atium has massive implications for the Cosmere as it can steal any ability or power. It’s a bloodier version of unchained Bondsmith powers. Very useful for the Fused.

I think that the regular Hemalurgic metals can be used to take powers from all over the Cosmere. You just need to experiment with which metal corresponds to which power in different Invested systems.

It would be interesting to see if this isn't the case and if Atium really is needed to take powers that aren't from Scadrial though.

Edited by Trusk'our

On 11/21/2020 at 5:19 PM, Lightspine said:

I don't think it was sand since it clinked:

Because of the clinking, I think it was probably something metallic or glass. Straight-up money (coins, spheres) doesn't really seem sufficient, obviously. I also don't know if Raboniel's voice being devoid of the rhythms is relevant to some property of the payment or is just a result of her emotions.

I have a wild guess: atium? We now know that Thaidakar is probably Kelsier, so something Scadrian would make sense. In addition, atium is impossible to obtain by any methods we currently know of, yet there are stories and myths about finding it in Mistborn Era 2 that a lot of people take as foreshadowing that it'll appear again. The difficulty in obtaining it makes this seem less likely but we also know the payment couldn't be something easy to find either.

I don't know what use the Fused would have for atium though. They can't burn it. Perhaps it has some really interesting properties in fabrials?

There's also lerasium, which is just equally impossible to obtain and also probably more useful since it'll turn anybody Mistborn.

Thaidakar is Kelsier we see this when wit calls him the "Lord of Scars" which is obviously the survivor.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, The Stick said:

I once read a WoB about this. I think Brandon Rafoed if it was Threondite Silver.

It is most definitely Threondite Silver. The land of the dead is obviously the forests of hell.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Or the Cognitive Realm, which is also called the land of the dead 

Just remembered that there's a Wob where Brandon confirms it comes from threnody

mraize7

u/mistborn I know you were writing the sequel to [Sixth of the Dusk]. Any progress on Threnody's novel? 

Brandon Sanderson

Just some vague ideas here and there. Nothing too specific. Silver chain in Oathbringer is from Threnody, though. (They use them in Silverlight too.) I'll get a chance to explain what they are eventually. (I hope.)

General Reddit 2019 (Aug. 22, 2019)

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2020 at 0:37 PM, IndigoAjah said:

Though actually, come to think of it, that's irrelevant really. All that matters is whether Atium has regrown, which would still happen 300 years ish post The Last Empire (it's implied) and would still fit the timeline as long as W and W and SA happen near each other in time. 

That book has now come out and made it clear that Atium will not naturally be generated as long as Harmony exists. Also, the Pits of Hathsin have been visited by Wax with Tensoon (I think late in The Alloy of Law), and I think Tensoon might have confirmed they no longer grow Atium geodes. I do not think Mraize knows a method to create Atium from Harmonium, and even if he did likely couldn't get it to Urithiru.

My best guess is that Mraize is the source of the Towerlight used in Navani's experiments since it was just the first payment of many, though how he managed to get it is anyone's guess. The Threnodite chain is also very likely to have come from him, but since Raboniel only mentions getting one, either the Ghostbloods hadn't needed to use the Oathgates again or that was another "gift" like captive Lift was.

Edited by Jn819

On 5/20/2023 at 11:46 AM, Jn819 said:

My best guess is that Mraize is the source of the Towerlight used in Navani's experiments since it was just the first payment of many, though how he managed to get it is anyone's guess. The Nalthian chain is also very likely to have come from him, but since Raboniel only mentions getting one, either the Ghostbloods hadn't needed to use the Oathgates again or that was another "gift" like captive Lift was.

Do you mean the Threnodite chain? 

• 2 months later...
On 20/05/2023 at 4:46 PM, Jn819 said:

That book has now come out and made it clear that Atium will not naturally be generated as long as Harmony exists. Also, the Pits of Hathsin have been visited by Wax with Tensoon (I think late in The Alloy of Law), and I think Tensoon might have confirmed they no longer grow Atium geodes. I do not think Mraize knows a method to create Atium from Harmonium, and even if he did likely couldn't get it to Urithiru.

My best guess is that Mraize is the source of the Towerlight used in Navani's experiments since it was just the first payment of many, though how he managed to get it is anyone's guess. The Threnodite chain is also very likely to have come from him, but since Raboniel only mentions getting one, either the Ghostbloods hadn't needed to use the Oathgates again or that was another "gift" like captive Lift was.

I'm not sure that it does make that clear. Just that it isn't yet and Saze can't consciously do it, but he has still formed Atium via Wax and planning to try to make more 

It implies that Sazed is currently unbalanced and Ruin already taking over and that excess still has to go somewhere...

On 11/21/2020 at 6:19 PM, Lightspine said:

There's also lerasium, which is just equally impossible to obtain and also probably more useful since it'll turn anybody Mistborn.

(Lost Metal Spoilers)

Spoiler

Kelsier did not have a supply of lerasium and was desperate to get access to it. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/2/2023 at 4:23 PM, IndigoAjah said:

I'm not sure that it does make that clear. Just that it isn't yet and Saze can't consciously do it, but he has still formed Atium via Wax and planning to try to make more 

It implies that Sazed is currently unbalanced and Ruin already taking over and that excess still has to go somewhere...

Fair enough, but it's still extremely unlikely that atium was traded to Mraize.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps the Threnodite chain isn't cash but a card.  Mraize might pay Rabonial by transmitting something (investiture/identity?) along the chain from some other place.  We know the Ghostbloods pursue this. We know Ambition's investiture has to do with leeching, 'transmitting' identity.  This would fit with Rabonial's anchoring comment.  This would also explain the two forms of payment.  

13 hours ago, ConfusedCow said:

Perhaps the Threnodite chain isn't cash but a card.  Mraize might pay Rabonial by transmitting something (investiture/identity?) along the chain from some other place.  We know the Ghostbloods pursue this. We know Ambition's investiture has to do with leeching, 'transmitting' identity.  This would fit with Rabonial's anchoring comment.  This would also explain the two forms of payment.  

Huh? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by card, not cash. Like it's storing something? Or is Mraize paying people in Steam gift cards? (/j) 
Cosmere

Spoiler

But I'm not sure where you get the ambition investiture is leeching, do you have a source for that? I know shades drain people, but so do leechers, nightblood and many types of spren?
TSM

Spoiler

Not to mention the heat-draining thing, which is not related to ambition's investiture as far as I can tell.