Stormlight: The Next Generation

Use the Falchion

As my Jasnadin ship sinks in the flames of her relationship with Wit (ruining TWO potential ships I had for the Alethi Queen), I've fully boarded the Kaladin x Leshwi ship. And with it, a realization came to me from the book - Singers age faster than humans, but we've never seen how fast a direct Human-Singer hybrid ages. 

Assuming Human-Singer hybrid ages a little faster than a human but slower than a full-blooded Singer, we could have Kaladin's child as fully-functioning character after the time-skip, even if it's just ten years. 

So...yeah. This direct Human-Singer hybrid child could be the one to round out the list of "next generation" characters along with Oroden and Gavinor (and maybe some of Rock's kids). 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

As my Jasnadin ship sinks in the flames of her relationship with Wit (ruining TWO potential ships I had for the Alethi Queen), I've fully boarded the Kaladin x Leshwi ship. And with it, a realization came to me from the book - Singers age faster than humans, but we've never seen how fast a direct Human-Singer hybrid ages. 

Assuming Human-Singer hybrid ages a little faster than a human but slower than a full-blooded Singer, we could have Kaladin's child as fully-functioning character after the time-skip, even if it's just ten years. 

So...yeah. This direct Human-Singer hybrid child could be the one to round out the list of "next generation" characters along with Oroden and Gavinor (and maybe some of Rock's kids). 

Is this full spoilers for row?

3 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

It is in the spoiler threads, so I thought it was fair game. I sincerely apologize if I spoiled anything for you. Being spoiled is a terrible feeling...

8 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Not sure if he'll have a  Part singer child kind of leaning towards him having part Spren child.  Hear me out. We know kaliden is headed towards ishar. And ishar is looking for honor Spren for his experiments trying to give Spren physical bodies.  This feels like a chekhov's gun  I think syl will  Have a physical body  Before the end of book 5 and well I've always felt that her relationship with Kaliden felt a little  Romantic.  

8 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

No you didn't I just need to  know before a talk about who I think Kaliden will end up with. And to explain I have to mention Kaliden's mission to seek ishar.

Oh yeah, I don't think that the romance will happen during the book itself, especially if Book 5 takes place within a 10 day frame (crazy, but not impossible). But I do think that there's a chance it'll happen between the arcs, and by the time we see him again, he'll have a wife and some little Singer-Hybrid kids. Not only would it allow Kaladin to still be explored, but it also could give a sort of catharsis that I've become a fan of - catharsis through becoming. That's why I used to be a giant fan of the "Shallan and Adolin will have a baby" theories (which I still am to a degree), because I felt like it'd be cool for Shallan to address the trauma of killing her own mother by becoming a mother herself. 

Likewise, it'd be for Kaladin to overcome his own issues with his father when he understands how it feels as a father himself when his own children go to war/battle. It'd also be the culmination of Kaladin's growing respect and empathy for Singers that we've seen throughout the past few books, as well as a cool symbolic choice to say "we're putting our feud behind us to move forward." Lastly, the struggles of a Human-Singer hybrid could be mirrored with the ancient lore we're getting in the second half of the series. We're bound to see a few more hybrids in the past, and I think it'd be cool to compare and contrast life for hybrids then vs now. 

2 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Not sure if he'll have a  Part singer child kind of leaning towards him having part Spren child.  Hear me out. We know kaliden is headed towards ishar. And ishar is looking for honor Spren for his experiments trying to give Spren physical bodies.  This feels like a chekhov's gun  I think syl will  Have a physical body  Before the end of book 5 and well I've always felt that her relationship with Kaliden felt a little  Romantic.  

I can see it! I do worry what it'd do to Syl and Kaladin's powers though. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

2 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Oh yeah, I don't think that the romance will happen during the book itself, especially if Book 5 takes place within a 10 day frame (crazy, but not impossible). But I do think that there's a chance it'll happen between the arcs, and by the time we see him again, he'll have a wife and some little Singer-Hybrid kids. Not only would it allow Kaladin to still be explored, but it also could give a sort of catharsis that I've become a fan of - catharsis through becoming. That's why I used to be a giant fan of the "Shallan and Adolin will have a baby" theories (which I still am to a degree), because I felt like it'd be cool for Shallan to address the trauma of killing her own mother by becoming a mother herself. 

Likewise, it'd be for Kaladin to overcome his own issues with his father when he understands how it feels as a father himself when his own children go to war/battle. It'd also be the culmination of Kaladin's growing respect and empathy for Singers that we've seen throughout the past few books, as well as a cool symbolic choice to say "we're putting our feud behind us to move forward." Lastly, the struggles of a Human-Singer hybrid could be mirrored with the ancient lore we're getting in the second half of the series. We're bound to see a few more hybrids in the past, and I think it'd be cool to compare and contrast life for hybrids then vs now. 

I can see it! I do worry what it'd do to Syl and Kaladin's powers though. 

My guess he keeps his powers but loses his blade kind of like what happens when he goes into the cognitive realm. And he says he doesn't want to fight anymore anyways.

1 minute ago, bmcclure7 said:

My guess he keeps his powers but loses his blade kind of like what happens when he goes into the cognitive realm. And he says he doesn't want to fight anymore anyways.

Eh, I think that would do a disservice to Kaladin as we know him. He doesn't want to be on the frontlines, but also recognizes there are times he needs to fight. Or at least that's how I interpreted it. 

10 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Eh, I think that would do a disservice to Kaladin as we know him. He doesn't want to be on the frontlines, but also recognizes there are times he needs to fight. Or at least that's how I interpreted it. 

He can still fight without a blade. He'll have surges and plate. 

13 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Hell for all we know he might pick up a honor blad in sinavar

9 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

So...yeah. This direct Human-Singer hybrid child could be the one to round out the list of "next generation" characters along with Oroden and Gavinor (and maybe some of Rock's 

Permission to board the Kaladin+Leshwi ship :lol:

I think that would be awesome. I don’t see a relationship for Kaladin as a necessary addition to the story, but if he was to have one, Leshwi would be my first pick. They respect each other  they share the same passion for flying, they have similar morality, they could work as a couple.

What are we calling this? Kaleshwi? Leladin? Kashwi? Ledin?

Also, with Leshwi being a splinter of Odium taking over a body of a Singer, if she had a child, whose genes would mix? We know they can influence the skin patterns when they change bodies, are they also somehow rewriting DNA as well?

17 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

As my Jasnadin ship sinks in the flames of her relationship with Wit (ruining TWO potential ships I had for the Alethi Queen),

I doubt it will last. As you said, she is the Alethi Queen. Hoid, however, is the bearer of the First Gem and so on. Both of them are guided ultimately by duty over personal interests. Jasnah likely even more than Hoid. If Roshar and her family clash with Hoid's plans, she will pick the former.

19 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Sorry to sink your ship... but Leshwi is probably still in that malen body by the end of RoW. Since she's not going to be bodysnatching any more innocent Singers, she's stuck as a malen/male. Maybe she could have kids with a human woman, but not with Kal.

11 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Sorry to sink your ship... but Leshwi is probably still in that malen body by the end of RoW. Since she's not going to be bodysnatching any more innocent Singers, she's stuck as a malen/male. Maybe she could have kids with a human woman, but not with Kal.

Hmm yeah it was not mentioned that she changed bodies. That would put an end to the kid part, but not necessarily the ship ;)

10 minutes ago, Zea mays said:

If Leshwi, despite being Fused, can bond a spren and become Radiant (in 10 days or fewer), anything’s possible.

She doesn't even need to do that, if she has voidlight, she should have all the same healing capabilities as a radiant.

47 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Then wouldn't she have done so already?

I would guess that her perception of her healing powers is different. Maybe her spiritual is too corrupted by Odium investiture to enforce it. Also, I don't think she can become a Radiant, at least she doesn't think she can.