the winter system

Plurality Representation

33 posts in this topic

Just now, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Well, he has to find someone willing to read his work, sign a non-disclosure agreement, and be good enough at writing to help out. Additionally he had to get the book done in time or the fandom will exact revenge. And he has to do this with everything, I'm not surprised he only has one consultant.

I'm not plural, so take all of this with a grain of salt and please ignore me should any systems contradict this, but he has...about a year to write it and do revisions, iirc? I feel like that's plenty of time to find some people to give advice. And no, I don't think they'd need to be specifically writing experts; they could just give their feedback and advice on how he's portraying DID/system life, and share their own experiences. They're not the ones writing the Three. I also imagine that it wouldn't be overly difficult to find people willing to read some epic fantasy, particularly if it was out of context and only Shallan/Veil/Radiant's scenes that needed to be commented on.

3 hours ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Well, he has to find someone willing to read his work, sign a non-disclosure agreement, and be good enough at writing to help out. Additionally he had to get the book done in time or the fandom will exact revenge. And he has to do this with everything, I'm not surprised he only has one consultant.

That's his responsibility, especially when it comes to writing such an underrepresented minority. It was well done, considering, but it's still disapointing that he was only talking to one part of the community. Especially considering how... discoursive the plural community is. There is a LOT that you'll miss if you only take one system's. Like, although obviously everyone in the system is going to have their own opinions on stuff, the variation in opinion tends to be within a range. 

On 12/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, the winter system said:

That's his responsibility, especially when it comes to writing such an underrepresented minority. It was well done, considering, but it's still disapointing that he was only talking to one part of the community. Especially considering how... discoursive the plural community is. There is a LOT that you'll miss if you only take one system's. Like, although obviously everyone in the system is going to have their own opinions on stuff, the variation in opinion tends to be within a range. 

Well, there's the fact he wanted to do a character arc that that kind of plurality fit it really well. It may have not been a point of contention about which kind he would use because he wasn't writing the character with plurality in mind and had that has more of a second priority and used the kind that fits best with what he made/had in mind. if his priority was to do more representation for the Plural community maybe he would've picked a more underrepresented version, but I don't think that was the case.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:25 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

Well, there's the fact he wanted to do a character arc that that kind of plurality fit it really well. It may have not been a point of contention about which kind he would use because he wasn't writing the character with plurality in mind and had that has more of a second priority and used the kind that fits best with what he made/had in mind. if his priority was to do more representation for the Plural community maybe he would've picked a more underrepresented version, but I don't think that was the case.

That's his responsibility as a writer? 

1 hour ago, the winter system said:

Very much agreed. Brandon is on record many times for for many situations when it comes to representation of feeling responsibility to do it well. Despite many readers just dying to absolve Brandon of any mistakes he may make, Brandon takes this responsibility seriously. Brandon may have his reasons why he did it one way and not another, but that does not mean anyone with criticisms is automatically wrong.

1 hour ago, the winter system said:

What do you mean?

On 1/27/2021 at 4:13 PM, the winter system said:

On 1/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, Greywatch said:

Very much agreed. Brandon is on record many times for for many situations when it comes to representation of feeling responsibility to do it well. Despite many readers just dying to absolve Brandon of any mistakes he may make, Brandon takes this responsibility seriously. Brandon may have his reasons why he did it one way and not another, but that does not mean anyone with criticisms is automatically wrong.

Um, I didn't defend mistakes he might have made when representing Plurality, I was defending his choice on which type of plurality he wanted to represent or write about, which is not his responsibility. It is not a writer's responsibility to represent every group and subsect of said group. Which he chooses is up to him, and if he feels this type fits the character best, then that isn't something that should be considered a flaw. The fact that kind is overrepresented has no bearing on his work or choices. You may wish he wrote a character that represented one of the less seen types of plurality, but saying it's bad he chose that seems a bit much.

Looks like Greywatch isn't going to respond.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

We feel that it was very well done, albiet the others aren't as interested in the books, we do all feel it was represented in a very good way and found it very relatable.