[All Spoilers]

Apologies if this is behind the times. I just finished RoW. [And am, as a result, the most sleep-deprived]

POINT 1: We know that the Sixteen all came from Yolen.

POINT 2: We know that there are three Yolish races: Human; Sho Del; and Dragon.

POINT 3: We know there is currently only one Shard on Roshar.

POINT 4: We know that dragons can shapeshift.

POINT 5: Hoid said something about there being a dragon on Roshar. 

POINT 6: Specified that the dragon is a woman.

POINT 7: And states that she hides her draconian form.

POINT 8: During Taravangian's Ascension, we are explicitly told that Cult has many forms, but only one true form.

So... Cultivation is a dragon. Right?

FUN THEORY 1: "The Dog And The Dragon" is about Hoid and Frost on Yolen. Hoid, a poor widdle human, wanted to be all awesome like the dragons. Whether or not Dragons can actually shapeshift, Hoid acquired an equivalent ability in the form of Yolish lightweaving. He may have done other things as well. But it wasn't the same. Perhaps that is what drove him towards The Shattering. And/or towards being a walking talking museum for forms of investiture manipulation.

FUN THEORY 2: We know that Lift turns food into Investiture. We know that this ability was granted her by Cult. I kind of wonder whether food-to-investiture is a dragon thing, and to affect it, Cult modified Lift's spiritual DNA to resemble the draconic. Guys I just want Lift to be a dragon. Is that wrong? Maybe! But I could still be right!

FUN THEORY 3: Cultivation's Vessel is named Fyiad. AYYO BRANDON, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Edited by silver-the-thruhiker

11 minutes ago, DracostarA said:

one of the pieces of art in RoW

Damn my old ass kindle, but I could not read a word of any of these. Anyone got descriptions?

11 minutes ago, DracostarA said:

Koravellium Avast

aww Kora and Tan Avast. The Avasts! So cute! wonder if she helped murder him...

Edited by silver-the-thruhiker

I saw the dragon comment, then the multiple forms and immediately said the same thing. Cultivation has to be a dragon. I swear Brandon mentioned at one point that the shard holders are not necessarily all humans either or that a shard could be held by a dragon. 

10 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

And her nickname as "Slammer," because she bodyslammed (or tail slammed) someone that offended her somehow? Either way, yeah I got the same impression!

Could also be referring to 'Slammer' in the sense of prison if she's the one who worked out how to lock up Rayse in the system. Would be a weird bit of language usage but slammer is a weird word to use in general and Hoid does toss around 'cents' as well later on so he's clearly capable of pulling out whatever he wants for a situation lol

Edited by shadows

10 hours ago, Kapin said:

I saw the dragon comment, then the multiple forms and immediately said the same thing. Cultivation has to be a dragon. I swear Brandon mentioned at one point that the shard holders are not necessarily all humans either or that a shard could be held by a dragon. 

But all the Shards we've seen appear to people in visions do so in forms that reflect their Vessel.

I'm sure that's a "default avatar" and they could disguise it if they had a reason to do it, like Ruin presenting as Kelsier to Spook or I suspect Vargodium will as Rayse for a while to the right people; but would Cultivation bother to do this, and who would be the model?

What about that chasmfiend that helped the listeners escape the chasms near Narak during the double Ever/Highstorm? Dragons are shapeshifters, yeah?

5 hours ago, robardin said:

I'm sure that's a "default avatar" and they could disguise it if they had a reason to do it, like Ruin presenting as Kelsier to Spook or I suspect Vargodium will as Rayse for a while to the right people; but would Cultivation bother to do this, and who would be the model?

It would make sense to appear as something more familiar to the people on Roshar. Appearing as a dragon would probably just freak them out.

But would Cult being a dragon mean Tanavast was one as well, or was that some kind of inter-species relationship? :huh:

4 minutes ago, Gaotona said:

would Cult being a dragon mean Tanavast was one as well, or was that some kind of inter-species relationship? :huh:

Didn't think of that! Wouldn't surprise me. That being said, so many Greek myths are all about "a god shapeshifts to bang a mortal."I rather like "A god shapeshifts to bang another god." A pleasantly equitable twist on #zeusthegoose

1 hour ago, DracostarA said:

Right at the start of Part 4 you can find a piece of art with three glyphs. One translates to 'Tanavast', one to 'Rayse' and one to 'Koravellium Avast'

It's the one marked PG844 on Brandon's website as linked by @uncas above. This was one tidbit that definitely confused me because people were mentioning it in the reaction threads but nothing comes up if you search it on Kindle :P I definitely should go back and reread the art pages more carefully...

• 2 years later...
On 11/20/2020 at 8:51 PM, silver-the-ridgerunner said:

POINT 7: And states that she hides her draconian form.

So I've noticed several people now using the word "draconian" to mean "of dragons" where it is an adjective that means "severe" and the term comes from the Athenian Greek lawmaker Draco who was known for harsh punishments for small offenses. Which is why we call harsh laws draconian. Am I missing something here? I'm an English major and this is making my brain twitch. 

30 minutes ago, Naco_Supreme said:

So I've noticed several people now using the word "draconian" to mean "of dragons" where it is an adjective that means "severe" and the term comes from the Athenian Greek lawmaker Draco who was known for harsh punishments for small offenses. Which is why we call harsh laws draconian. Am I missing something here? I'm an English major and this is making my brain twitch. 

This thread has been inactive for three years.

2 hours ago, Naco_Supreme said:

From Wiktionary:

Spoiler

Etymology 1 - From the Athenian lawmaker Draco, from Latin Dracō, from Ancient Greek Δράκων (Drákōn), known for making harsh laws. See δράκων (drákōn, “dragon”).
Alternative forms - Draconian
Adjective - draconian (comparative more draconian, superlative most draconian)

1. Very severe or strict.

Etymology 2 - From Latin dracō (“dragon”).
Adjective - draconian (comparative more draconian, superlative most draconian)

1. Of or resembling a dragon.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:08 PM, silver-the-ridgerunner said:

aww Kora and Tan Avast. The Avasts! So cute! wonder if she helped murder him...

no (WoB)

Spoiler

Seonid

If Cultivation and Honor were romantically involved, why did Cultivation not help Honor against Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

She did.

Idaho Falls Signing (Nov. 28, 2015)

Honestly, I always assumed Hoid was just making a jab at Cultivation by calling her a dragon.  He alluded to her in WoR, saying the only woman his age and he never get along. So I thought he was just slinging a little mud in calling her a dragon.