Shallan might be...

redshadow310

My tinfoil hat theory after RoW

Shallan is known on Scadrial as Ranette.

I think that at the end of Stormlight 5 the Ghostbloods are going to kill Adolin. Wanting revenge, she is going to go to Wit who is going to send her to Scadrial to meet with some Kandra. They are going to give her an iron earring which gives her the abilities of a lurcher and lets her speak with Harmony. As Ranette she sees the weapons business as a way to keep watch on the underworld and the Ghostbloods, while while assisting Harmony on his project Wax. 

"I have begun searching for a pathway out of this conundrum by seeking the ideal person to act on my behalf. Someone who embodies both Preservation and Ruin. A … sword, you might say, who can both protect and kill."

Is shallan on Scadrial? Possibly. But I don't think she is Rannette. Rannette is canonically lesbian, which we have seen none of from Shallan. That's enough to disprove the theory to me, also, I do believe a Seeker would be able to sense a lightweaving, so there is no way she has just been disguising herself this whole time.

The characters are too different.

2 hours ago, signspace13 said:

Is shallan on Scadrial? Possibly. But I don't think she is Rannette. Rannette is canonically lesbian, which we have seen none of from Shallan. That's enough to disprove the theory to me, also, I do believe a Seeker would be able to sense a lightweaving, so there is no way she has just been disguising herself this whole time.

The characters are too different.

There have been some WoBs to suggest that neither Shallan's sexual orientation, nor Adolin's, is as inflexible as it may be perceived in the text. But I also feel that this theory is a bit of a stretch.

Shallan-as-Ranette is a very interesting theory and I quite like it. I've also got some growing suspicions that Shallan is Harmony's "sword", mostly due to her DID. If she's able to balance her hold on multiple aspects of her personality, she might also be predisposed to holding multiple Shards...

Heh. This is a fun idea, but I don’t think the timeline matches up. Brandon hasn’t even absolutely canonized that W&W is in between SA 5 and 6. I think he said fairly recently that he is thinking of making it take place earlier, about during WoK. If Shallan was Rannette that would mean that the timeline has to be set in stone, but as Brandon seems to still be deciding, I think it’s pretty damning evidence that this can’t be the case. 

Also, I think it’s pretty obvious that Harmony’s sword is going to be Kal right? Someone who can can Protect and Kill? Who harnesses both Preservation and Ruin? That’s literally Kal’s whole thing. Surgeon vs Soldier and all that. 

1 hour ago, Danex said:

Also, I think it’s pretty obvious that Harmony’s sword is going to be Kal right? Someone who can can Protect and Kill? Who harnesses both Preservation and Ruin? That’s literally Kal’s whole thing. Surgeon vs Soldier and all that. 

I doubt that Harmony is aware of Kal, although he would certainly fit very nicely. It seems pretty clear that he is grooming Wax for something, and I'm guessing that this is what it is. 

10 minutes ago, redshadow310 said:

I doubt that Harmony is aware of Kal, although he would certainly fit very nicely. It seems pretty clear that he is grooming Wax for something, and I'm guessing that this is what it is. 

“I’m not Harmony’s hands,” Wax whispered. “I’m His sword.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Shadows of Self (Mistborn) (p. 359). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

So yeah: I think it's pretty clear that this letter exchange is what lead Harmony to grooming Wax to become his sword.

Yes, I think Harmony is obviously grooming Wax, but also it’s gonna be Kal. Why else would those be epigraphs in a Stormlight book? I think they’re Kal chapters even. I think Wax is going to die or otherwise become ineligible to be Harmony’s sword, and then Kal is going to step in.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:30 PM, Danex said:

Yes, I think Harmony is obviously grooming Wax, but also it’s gonna be Kal. Why else would those be epigraphs in a Stormlight book? I think they’re Kal chapters even. I think Wax is going to die or otherwise become ineligible to be Harmony’s sword, and then Kal is going to step in.

Spoiler for Mistborn Era 2

Spoiler

It feels to me like the epigraphs in Stormlight about this are "prequal" type things, where Harmony gets the idea of having an agent from Hoid's communications. And then he starts trying to forge Wax with the events of Mistborn Era 2. This doesn't mean that he actually succeeds, and it may just be his first attempt.

But I'm also going off the assumption that Era 2 takes place between SLA 5 and 6, which someone just said isn't actually set in stone yet.