Sixteen

Harrycrapper

In Lasting Integrity, Shallan suspected the person who was called Sixteen was Restares but he turned out not to be. Did anyone figure out who he was? Given the name and the Shin appearance, it's likely a world hopper, but I couldn't place him based on the description. I think it was said he only came out every 16 days and never needed to bathe or eat. So, maybe a Kandra or Sleepless? 

4 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

In Lasting Integrity, Shallan suspected the person who was called Sixteen was Restares but he turned out not to be. Did anyone figure out who he was? Given the name and the Shin appearance, it's likely a world hopper, but I couldn't place him based on the description. I think it was said he only came out every 16 days and never needed to bathe or eat. So, maybe a Kandra or Sleepless? 

So you go to great lengths to look human, but then you act extremely strangely? A Kandra or Sleepless are among the most implausible option.

Well the key other sources of significance for the number 16 are shards and Scadrial metals, so unless someone can think of another significant 16 it may be one of those.

Or it could be another individual from before the death of Adonalsium.

The name probably provides a bigger hint then anything else, there's probably more reasons why he might not need to come out often then there are reasons why he would be called 16.

2 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Well the key other sources of significance for the number 16 are shards and Scadrial metals, so unless someone can think of another significant 16 it may be one of those.

Or it could be another individual from before the death of Adonalsium.

The name probably provides a bigger hint then anything else, there's probably more reasons why he might not need to come out often then there are reasons why he would be called 16.

Yea, I figured as much. Our best hope of figuring it out is likely analyzing the description of his appearance and cross referencing it with people in other Cosmere books. When I made this topic, I was hoping an eagle eyed person recognized who he looked like. 

Just now, Harrycrapper said:

Yea, I figured as much. Our best hope of figuring it out is likely analyzing the description of his appearance and cross referencing it with people in other Cosmere books. When I made this topic, I was hoping an eagle eyed person recognized who he looked like. 

Well the trouble is, he may not have appeared in any other books.

If he's related to Scadrial, sure he probably has. But if he's related to the shards or pre shards, he may not have appeared yet.

1 minute ago, Blacksmithki said:

Well the trouble is, he may not have appeared in any other books.

If he's related to Scadrial, sure he probably has. But if he's related to the shards or pre shards, he may not have appeared yet.

That is entirely possible. Could be someone who shows up in Mistborn era 3 for all we know. 

2 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

That is entirely possible. Could be someone who shows up in Mistborn era 3 for all we know. 

Well that's far less likely as we do know era 2 is between books 5 and 6.

So we can safely assume if the name is because of Scadrial, not the shards, they would have appeared.

Hey, offhand does anyone recall if Demoux was described as shin when he was looking for Hoid in the purelake? Because if he was that's a solid hint it might be Scadrial, if not, probably either shard related or (Yoshar?) related.

It sounds like no Honorspren have ever gone into his shack to see what he’s up to. My guess is he’s not even there most of the time. He pops into the shack and emerges to check something then leaves.

He pretends he’s living there because openly magically transporting in and out of the fortress would alarm the Honorspren. 

Did the Spren dub him 16 because he’s currently the 16th human guest in order of arrival or is that the name he gave?

Edited by Child of Hodor

10 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

It sounds like no Honorspren have ever gone into his shack to see what he’s up to. My guess is he’s not even there most of the time. He pops into the shack and emerges to check something then leaves.

He pretends he’s living there because openly magically transporting in and out of the fortress would alarm the Honorspren. 

Did the Spren dub him 16 because he’s currently the 16th human guest in order of arrival or is that the name he gave?

I'm fairly sure that's his name, not just what he was dubbed.

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

Why? Who has that level of ability but uses it to check up on a park regularly.

If we had a cadmium bubble and a seon in that house, it would make sense that somebody is sending out status reports.

11 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

If we had a cadmium bubble and a seon in that house, it would make sense that somebody is sending out status reports.

Personally i'm leaning towards it being some ancient entity not someone from Scadrial. That would explain them not seeming to need anything, them being some sort of functionally immortal being similar to Hoid. It also explains them just not caring much about time. Going out every 16 days is probably quite often.

3 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Personally i'm leaning towards it being some ancient entity not someone from Scadrial. That would explain them not seeming to need anything, them being some sort of functionally immortal being similar to Hoid. It also explains them just not caring much about time. Going out every 16 days is probably quite often.

It would explain that.

But, sorry to be so negative, that opens yet another can of worms. See, the Cosmere is not an entirely benign and clement place. And you do not survive for several thousand years without acquiring some arcane powers, disregarding that you need to be immortal or nearly so. So

• how could Shallan surprise and stalk such an entity undiscovered ?
  • why did she survive a semi-assault on such an entity (not everybody can be as peaceful as Hoid) ?
  • why would such an entity run away in fear from a mere Surgebinder ?

FYI there was already another thread started about this - 

wherein I theorized something along these lines,

On 11/20/2020 at 5:21 PM, Oltux72 said:

for the mechanism for the regularity but not the reason for whatever it is he's doing.

On 24/11/2020 at 6:38 PM, Xerun said:

Maybe it’s Adonalsium? We know he was “shattered” but perhaps he/she/it still exists as a Vessel?

I've wondered this before, but from everything we've seen losing that kind of investiture doesn't usually end well.

This gets a little reachy. We know that having held a dawnshard once but no longer can have lasting effects. Such as Hoid not being able to hurt people. 

What if this dude held the Dawnshard that destroyed Ashyn? He'd have pretty good reason to be afraid of surgebinding. 

Perhaps the lasting effect of "CHANGE" is not changing, IE aging, after losing it. 

I read him as not being completely “there” so to speak, I don’t think he’s some high level cosmere being, but perhaps a remnant of one, which results in his wierd habits and also his non aggressive reaction towards shallan. 

he leaves every 16th day, and if I understood correct he was also the 16th person to enter the fortress? Or was he just the 16th person shallan checked, can’t remember. 

Also would a pre shattering person care about the number 16? To my understanding the number 16 first became important to the world after the shattering. 

my immediate thoughts are, that either we have never met this person before, or something has happened to him, so we won’t be able to recognize him based on the prior information we had. I am however curious as to who he is, my guess is someone previously deeply connected to a shard, a scadrian or an actual Shin (or someone who lived on Ashyn, as someone pointed out).

Edited by EvilIndian

On 11/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, robardin said:

FYI there was already another thread started about this - 

Oops, I forgot to check the character discussion section before making this. 

5 hours ago, EvilIndian said:

my immediate thoughts are, that either we have never met this person before, or something has happened to him, so we won’t be able to recognize him based on the prior information we had. I am however curious as to who he is, my guess is someone previously deeply connected to a shard, a scadrian or an actual Shin (or someone who lived on Ashyn, as someone pointed out).

The clues we got were he comes out every 16 days and doesn't seem to need to eat or bathe. That should rule out any ordinary beings with no special powers or characteristics. Someone with the relevant Feruchemical and Allomantic powers could compound food and never need to eat, but that doesn't do much for the bathe part if they are still human(oid). I'm not sure what cosmere powers would allow someone who is mortal to not need to bathe.  

So that's why my guesses leaned towards Kandra or Sleepless. Though there's another possibility that I think the Shardcasters raised in one of their RoW reaction videos: A dragon. 

Alloma

2 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

The clues we got were he comes out every 16 days and doesn't seem to need to eat or bathe. That should rule out any ordinary beings with no special powers or characteristics. Someone with the relevant Feruchemical and Allomantic powers could compound food and never need to eat, but that doesn't do much for the bathe part if they are still human(oid). I'm not sure what cosmere powers would allow someone who is mortal to not need to bathe.  

Allomantic time dilation - flare cadmium (?) so that 16 days outside is a minute inside the bubble. Could be that as far as sixteen is concerned, he’s been in Lasting integrity less than a day, repetitively doing “flare metal to pass time, go outside to check or wait for (whatever it is)”.