Renarin's Summoned Vision

Ramona Tehradin

In RoW chapter 54, we see Renarin 'summoning' a vision which depicts the following: 

•  Dalinar standing tall wearing stark-white Shardplate, pierced with a black arrow. 
  • Odium is a window of yellow-white light breaking into smaller and smaller pieces, into infinity. 
  • Dalinar's 'sword' is facing the wrong direction, not fighting Odium. 
  • Odium cannot predict anyone's future who are close to Renarin. 

I'll start in reverse order, 

• From Oathrbinger itself, Odium as noted by Taravangian has a black fissure in his future seeing sanctum which is Renarin and those who stay nearby him are also shrouded by this. I think Sja-anat knew 'enlightening' Glys would grant her to 'take a secret' from Odium. His biggest secret- His destruction. 
  • Dalinar is a Radiant without Shardblade but his 'sword' here could be his champion i.e as we know, himself. But its pointed in wrong direction which could imply that either Dalinar loses in contest of Champion and surrenders his soul to our new Odium, fighting wrong battles in Cosmere or maybe even though Dalinar wins, this current bargain will grant him only endless feuds as Everstorm-Fused-Regals keep coming back and the war goes on. I believe until and unless a loophole is discovered in this bargain, neither sides would gain anything. 
  • The second one is vital I believe. Earlier I thought it was Big T's Nightblood-plunging ascension but the vision shows 'Odium' breaking into smaller pieces 'into infinity'- Splintering. 
  • Bondsmith may not have blades but they can have Shardplates as Stormfather had mentioned in Oathbringer. It means Dalinar might swear his 4th Ideal in book 5...and then there's the black arrow thing. Could this be that anti-Voidlight/Stormlight which was used to kill Phendorana by Vyre? If so, then clearly El has a knife and this arrow could mean someone striking Radiants with their own invention. 

If we sum it up, I think the contest of champions is bound to fail and KRs have to find another way to sneak around Odium and Splinter him. Maybe they could reassemble Honor but that seems very farfetched and we don't know Cultivation's true motives yet as she can see future 'better'. Her involvement is also vital because so far she has been strangely neutral to both sides, granting Dalinar and Taravengian their paths. Reforming Oathpact also seems like a temporary solution and until and unless Kaladin-Szeth kidnap Ishar from Shinovar and haul him to get more insight about what the heck it was in first place, we can't be sure if that's even a perfect solution. There's also whole BAM thing which disrupted 'Roshar'. 

What do you all think about Renarin's vision in accordance to Contest of Champions and end of war? 

Edited by Ramona Tehradin

• 4 months later...

One wonders if Cultivation's intents are what the 5th book is really about.  Seems to me people forget Roshar was Honor and Cultivation's planet, then Odium brought the Humans to cause chaos after destroying Odium's original planet.  It is implied Honor and Cultivation where "involved", so I believe she is plotting revenge on Odium and will splinter him (as potentially alluded to in the vision.  Keep in mind there are many types of swords, and it could be just symbolism as could the black arrow (just indicating the black thorn?).  The trick to foreshadowing is to not be obvious, but to leave enough so the readers go "aha" when they see it fullfilled. 

On 3/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, hskeeter said:

One wonders if Cultivation's intents are what the 5th book is really about. ... I believe she is plotting revenge on Odium and will splinter him (as potentially alluded to in the vision... 

My unsubstantiated hunch is that Cultivation regrets the Shattering and is working to remedy it in some way--Rayse as the vessel of Odium would have always been an impediment to that goal; revenge just strikes me as too narrow when it comes to someone of her vision.

8 hours ago, Aleph-Naught said:

My unsubstantiated hunch is that Cultivation regrets the Shattering and is working to remedy it in some way--Rayse as the vessel of Odium would have always been an impediment to that goal; revenge just strikes me as too narrow when it comes to someone of her vision.

Which "Shattering" are we talking about?  Would it be possible to put Honor back together and combine him with Cultivaion?

13 minutes ago, hskeeter said:

Which "Shattering" are we talking about?  Would it be possible to put Honor back together and combine him with Cultivaion?

this looks to be referring to the Shattering of Adonalsium. Perhaps the Vessel Koravellium Avast regrets that, or perhaps the Shard Cultivation believes that the Shattering was necessary for the Cosmere to grow, but reuniting the Shards should be done at this point. Or perhaps this is all entirely wrong.

Lets pair it with oathbringer ch8

"The enemy's champion" Dalinar said, eyes narrowing. "In the visions, Honor told me our best chance of survival involved forcing Odium to accept a contest of champions. I've seen the enemy's champion-- a creature in black armor with red eyes. A parshmen perhaps. It had nine shadows."

Nearby, Renarin had turned toward his father, eyes wide, jaw dropping. Nobody else seemed to notice

Edited by Waffles