Greetings

Ciocalesku

Hello community!

I cant believe I hadn't searched out this site earlier. I have been reading Sanderson ever since he finished the Wheel of Time series and possibly sooner as I cant remember exactly when I started Mistborn. I started out in Fantasy back when books in the Redwall series were still being written by Brian Jacques... I've read series from Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, LE Modesitt Jr, David Eddings, Tad Williams, David Farland and others, including Brandon Sanderson obviously. I have a pretty specific style of book I like, I can appreaciate sci-fi but it's definitely NOT my preference... 

I think my first true fantasy love was the Confessor series, though it got a bit drawn out at the end, and then I moved to The Wheel of Time. That was my absolute favorite for years, I just finished reading the whole series again and although it was still AMAZING, it was a little redundant at times. Then I re-read the Stormlight Archives... This! This is what Fantasy was meant to be! It doesn't lack in holding your interest even for a chapter or two. The themes are incredible. I'm an ex-addict, I've been to jail and prison, and yet I am still intelligent and that is why I relate to this series. To Teft, Kal, Shallan... The darkness they feel, and the depression that brings them down, the buoyant feelings that raise them up. I think the mark of any true book, is that it makes you think, feel, and change, all while watching the characters do the same thing.

I love that there are so many likeminded people here and I cannot wait to talk with people and get to know as many of y'all as possible!

Sincerely,
-Chris

1 hour ago, Ciocalesku said:

Hello community!

I cant believe I hadn't searched out this site earlier. I have been reading Sanderson ever since he finished the Wheel of Time series and possibly sooner as I cant remember exactly when I started Mistborn. I started out in Fantasy back when books in the Redwall series were still being written by Brian Jacques... I've read series from Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, LE Modesitt Jr, David Eddings, Tad Williams, David Farland and others, including Brandon Sanderson obviously. I have a pretty specific style of book I like, I can appreaciate sci-fi but it's definitely NOT my preference... 

I think my first true fantasy love was the Confessor series, though it got a bit drawn out at the end, and then I moved to The Wheel of Time. That was my absolute favorite for years, I just finished reading the whole series again and although it was still AMAZING, it was a little redundant at times. Then I re-read the Stormlight Archives... This! This is what Fantasy was meant to be! It doesn't lack in holding your interest even for a chapter or two. The themes are incredible. I'm an ex-addict, I've been to jail and prison, and yet I am still intelligent and that is why I relate to this series. To Teft, Kal, Shallan... The darkness they feel, and the depression that brings them down, the buoyant feelings that raise them up. I think the mark of any true book, is that it makes you think, feel, and change, all while watching the characters do the same thing.

I love that there are so many likeminded people here and I cannot wait to talk with people and get to know as many of y'all as possible!

Sincerely,
-Chris

Welcome to the Shard! Happy you’re here. Yeah, the Stormlight Archive is pretty amazing. It’s why most of us joined, after all. Have you read the Mistborn series yet?

Welcome the Shard Chris! I gotta say this is one of the better intros I've read! We can't believe you didn't search us out any sooner either, I mean c'mon what are you doing over there :P That is quite the repertoire of authors you have there all for that specific book style! That's really interesting you like fantasy but not sci-fi, they always seem to get grouped together!

Ooh interesting first fantasy love! I've heard of the Confessor series (at least I think I have...) but have never actually given it a try. Strong recommend? And yes, I can so agree, SA is what fantasy was meant to be!! I can't even manage to put it down when I start exactly, I always have to make sure I got time to read :D 

And hey, as much or as little as it counts from someone on the internet, I'm proud of you for taking where you were, no matter how low it may have been, and turning it into where you are now. Just from the way this is written I can tell that you are a thoughtful, smart and amazing person to be around. I couldn't have said it better myself, "The mark of any true book, is that it makes you think, feel, and change, all while watching the characters do the same thing." 

Absolutely beautifully said and amazing that you have been able to connect with these books so closely in addition to enjoying them for the genre. I'm so happy that what you've done to get here has given us the pleasure of getting to meet you. Can't wait to get to know more about you as well

6 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Welcome the Shard Chris! I gotta say this is one of the better intros I've read! We can't believe you didn't search us out any sooner either, I mean c'mon what are you doing over there :P That is quite the repertoire of authors you have there all for that specific book style! That's really interesting you like fantasy but not sci-fi, they always seem to get grouped together!

Ooh interesting first fantasy love! I've heard of the Confessor series (at least I think I have...) but have never actually given it a try. Strong recommend? And yes, I can so agree, SA is what fantasy was meant to be!! I can't even manage to put it down when I start exactly, I always have to make sure I got time to read :D 

And hey, as much or as little as it counts from someone on the internet, I'm proud of you for taking where you were, no matter how low it may have been, and turning it into where you are now. Just from the way this is written I can tell that you are a thoughtful, smart and amazing person to be around. I couldn't have said it better myself, "The mark of any true book, is that it makes you think, feel, and change, all while watching the characters do the same thing." 

Absolutely beautifully said and amazing that you have been able to connect with these books so closely in addition to enjoying them for the genre. I'm so happy that what you've done to get here has given us the pleasure of getting to meet you. Can't wait to get to know more about you as well

Yeah, for some reason Sco-Fi and Fantasy are always grouped together, even though fantasy is more like fiction than SciFi.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 0:25 PM, The Storming Stormfather said:

Welcome to the storming Shard, Chris! What's your favorite Sanderson book? Who is your favorite character? Who would you want to string up for a highstorm?

Thank you!

Oh man, my absolute favorite Sanderson book... I think I have to break it down into categories, for pure amazement it was Mistborn, that was my introduction to Sanderson and I was amazed by the depth of the writing. The characters were awesome, the world was great, the story had depth and kept me up till the wee hours. 
Then, once I knew what to expect from his writing style, I think Oathbringer has been the best book so far of the Stormlight Archive series. Although I really enjoyed Words of Radiance and Rhythm of War (as well as Dawnshard, not so much Edgedancer) the second book was great. I got really annoyed with the characters in Rhythm lol.

My favorite character... Is probably Jasnah Kholin. She is epic in every sense of the word. Strong, highly intelligent, beautiful, approaches problems rationally, carries a large chunk of the world on her shoulders, non-religious, non-judgmental... She is just a great person in so many ways, yet in some ways she would be considered pitiless or harsh.

I would string Moash up in the meeting of the Highstorm and Voidstorm! He is just... ridiculous. There is no way he is thinking rationally about his beliefs about Elhokar. Ugh, he makes me angry just reading his character. A betrayer of the first order!

Many thanks for the acceptance! What about you? What is your favorite of his books outside of the Stormlight books?

On 11/19/2020 at 1:55 PM, Ookla the Tortured said:

Welcome to the Shard! Happy you’re here. Yeah, the Stormlight Archive is pretty amazing. It’s why most of us joined, after all. Have you read the Mistborn series yet?

Hey thank you! 

Yeah I loved the Mistborn series, it was my intro to Sanderson (outside of the two books he wrote to finish Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series) and it was great. I actually continued on a little and read Alloy of Law too. I liked it, but at the same time it kind of turned me off with guns being the weapon of choice. There are very few series that I read and enjoy that have modern day weapons in them. I think it detracts a bit from the fantasy aspect of the books for me.

I did read the LE Modesitt series called the Imager Portfolio (which was great also) but they had modern day weapons and it was pretty good still. Definitely a recommend!

On 11/19/2020 at 4:07 PM, I Am A Fish said:

Hello, and Welcome to the Shard!

What other books by Sanderson have you read?

Hey! Thank you

I have read the whole Mistborn series, minus all the add ons set in the Mistborn world, just Alloy of Law. I read Elantris and Warbreaker. I was going to get into some others that he has but they seem a little more Young Adult (Ugh I cant remember the name of the book even though I liked the name), and I havent read enough reviews on some of his other series to get started on them. I just started Prince of Thorns and downloaded a couple 3/4 book series to keep my head in the clouds until Sanderson finishes the next Stormlight book lol

On 11/19/2020 at 10:46 PM, Scout_Fox said:

Hey, many thank yous!

I know, lol, so many people include Sci-Fi in with Fantasy, and I get why; but the huge difference for me is the time they are set in, the use of magic, the fighting aspect (weapons and such) and importantly, Fantasy generally doesn't use the world we live in as a basis for the world they are making. World building for me is huge and creating their own place allows me to get off this world for a while and visit another land.

Confessor was good when I started it, and when I finished the last book I was mildly disappointed... It has a lot of adult themes, but it dragged on after book like... 6/7 or so. Its not a BAD series, just not high caliber like Sanderson or Rothfuss. If I were to suggest a series to anyone that is on the level of SA, it would be the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are truly great, I am eagerly awaiting the last book and getting geared up to read his side book about another character (kind of like Dawnshard or Edgedancer)

Much appreciated, it is definitely nice to converse with others who wont judge my past, its always a long road from addiction to normalcy but its a road that is well worth the challenge, and I am definitely looking forward to get to know you and others from here as well!

Do you have any other author or series suggestions I might enjoy?

On 11/20/2020 at 5:32 AM, Ookla the Tortured said:

Yeah, for some reason Sco-Fi and Fantasy are always grouped together, even though fantasy is more like fiction than SciFi.  

Right, it makes sense if you look at it as a general style or you haven't really gone very deep into them. I remember reading some serious Sci-Fi books, one was the Hyperion series (I read them in jail lol they have a lot of older books) and a few others and they are all based in space or post america, stuff like that, with weapons the shoot something (lasers, bullets, etc) and not much magic. At least in the ones I have read.

Whereas Fantasy is generally a built world (llike Tad Williams and his amazing world building), some new languages, people fighting with traditional cavalry, swords, bow/arrow and strategic wars. The magic systems too, my god those are amazing and so varied! I love the WoT magic system, weaving threads of different elements into a "spell", or SA bonding with a spren, Imager Portfolio where they imagine something into being, The Mallorean (David Eddings) with the Will and the Word and Recluce series with Chaos and Order magics. :) :) :) :)

3 minutes ago, Ciocalesku said:

Fantasy generally doesn't use the world we live in as a basis for the world they are making. World building for me is huge and creating their own place allows me to get off this world for a while and visit another land.

Its not a BAD series, just not high caliber like Sanderson or Rothfuss. If I were to suggest a series to anyone that is on the level of SA, it would be the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are truly great, I am eagerly awaiting the last book and getting geared up to read his side book about another character (kind of like Dawnshard or Edgedancer)

Much appreciated, it is definitely nice to converse with others who wont judge my past, its always a long road from addiction to normalcy but its a road that is well worth the challenge, and I am definitely looking forward to get to know you and others from here as well!

Do you have any other author or series suggestions I might enjoy?

Ooh really cool sorta criteria there I like that! Yeah, fantasy is generally another world in another place where just everything is new and fitting with the story. Sci-Fi tends to go more with our real world and what can or perhaps will happen. I totally agree though when you create the world to match your story you can be way more creative and interesting!

Hmm ok interesting then, huh. Yeah I've definitely heard the Kingkiller one's being pretty good, haven't quite gotten around to it yet but will definitely bump it up there on my list :DThat's really cool they do those side books to really dive into a character as well!

And absolutely man, I can't even imagine how hard that would be but am proud of you for sticking with it. That shows some massive drive right there and that's honestly more important than anything else you could do. In fact, you could easily say getting to where you are now from where you were is more impressive than what the vast majority of people have or will accomplish. Pleasure getting to meet you and looking forward to getting to know you more as well.

If I were going to suggest some others I would first recommend looking at the non-Cosmere novels. I always gotta plug Alcatraz because, while more YA targeted, it has a really unique and hilarious tone to it that you really don't find elsewhere. Reckoners is also a great more serious set.

I would also recommend, perhaps against your no-Sci-Fi vibe the Arc of a Scythe series. It is Sci-Fi but it's enough different that I think you could like it. It deals with a world where there are no diseases and no death because everything has become so advanced as so you have the dilemma of "Oh crap, how do we control the population now." I thought it just had a really interesting take that you might enjoy. The way the world functions too just makes so much sense I always think "If only we..." Might be worth a shot :P

Oh and last itsy bitsy detail because corrections really drive home that warm-fuzziness energy :P Lols no biggie but mods prefer if you don't double post. You can tap the plus icon next to Quote on multiple peoples posts to quote them all at once in one mega-post! Look forward to seeing you around!