[Discuss] Theological implications of the ending

Mason Wheeler

I posted a comment on a recent Shardcast that the only time I've really seen Brandon's LDS theology really strongly showing through in his work was in The Hero of Ages, particularly the ending, which I don't think anyone of any other belief system would have been capable of creating.

Then along came Rhythm of War, with Taravangian's Ascension to be the new Odium, and his decision: with this much power, I can save everybody.  And when I read that, suddenly it hit me: he just very specifically turned Taravangian into Satan!

In LDS theology, the way that Lucifer rebelled against God and became the Devil was by trying to establish his own version of God's plan, in which he would be an all-powerful "benevolent dictator" leading all of mankind to salvation, at the cost of their free will.  Well, now we have Taravangian wielding "infinite" power, and deciding to use it to save everybody... that's uncannily familiar.  And a bit chilling.

4 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

I posted a comment on a recent Shardcast that the only time I've really seen Brandon's LDS theology really strongly showing through in his work was in The Hero of Ages, particularly the ending, which I don't think anyone of any other belief system would have been capable of creating.

Then along came Rhythm of War, with Taravangian's Ascension to be the new Odium, and his decision: with this much power, I can save everybody.  And when I read that, suddenly it hit me: he just very specifically turned Taravangian into Satan!

In LDS theology, the way that Lucifer rebelled against God and became the Devil was by trying to establish his own version of God's plan, in which he would be an all-powerful "benevolent dictator" leading all of mankind to salvation, at the cost of their free will.  Well, now we have Taravangian wielding "infinite" power, and deciding to use it to save everybody... that's uncannily familiar.  And a bit chilling.

Mistborn Era 4 explained!