Who is Sixteen? [Discussion]

GudThymes

Tanavast is described as being "a tall, muscular man with dark skin and pure white hair" (Coppermind) so it might not be him unless he chose to alter his appearance as a Cognitive Shadow. But I definitely think he has something to do with the Shards or Adonalsium in general because of the name. Sixteen is described as short, pale, and bald and speaks in a language that Shallan doesn't know, so I bet it'll be easy to find him in other books based on that description/

Just now, spitfireky said:

Tanavast is described as being "a tall, muscular man with dark skin and pure white hair

Drat. I just want Tanavast to be alive so that we have a literal reason for Kaladins "Son of Tanavast" title/nickname. Thanks for the info on Tanavast :)

In terms of languages Shallan doesn't know that would be a lot right? She only knows what, like 4 or 5 Rosharan ones? I agree though, I think any name that is a number less than 18 has to be related to Ado somehow.... on that note, could it be Ado themself?

4 minutes ago, GudThymes said:

In terms of languages Shallan doesn't know that would be a lot right? She only knows what, like 4 or 5 Rosharan ones? I agree though, I think any name that is a number less than 18 has to be related to Ado somehow.... on that note, could it be Ado themself?

That'd be crazy if Ado has a Cognitive Shadow that's been chilling in Shadesmar for the past 10,000+ years. I definitely think that Sixteen's gonna be relevant at some point down the line though.

4 minutes ago, spitfireky said:

That'd be crazy if Ado has a Cognitive Shadow that's been chilling in Shadesmar for the past 10,000+ years. I definitely think that Sixteen's gonna be relevant at some point down the line though.

Hahaha agreed. I feel like if Ado is still around as a CS then chilling in the Shadesmar of Roshar is the most likely place so far. 

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

A bald man suggests Elantrian. He also does not eat or defacate or bathe. Either a Cognitive Shadow or an Elantrian.

Shallan is a very educated woman. She may not speak Shin, but she would recognise it.

The honorspren considered Kalak as a Cognitive Shadow to be essentially a spren, not a human, so probably not that.

An Elantrian might fit the bill, as we've seen Riino at the lighthouse in Oathbringer who is a confirmed Elantrian (the Hoed who led Raoden to the Shardpool that he sank into...). He looked like a Shin human to Kaladin, and may not trigger the "he's a SPREN in human form!" alarms for the honorspren.

But I believe Elantrians still need to eat? After the Hoed stuff was done with, anyway. In the short story The Hope of Elantris, the one that's in Arcanum Unbounded and takes place after Elantris, Raoden (the Elantrian) is at a dinner table with food, so one assumes he was going to eat. Unless it was just for Sarene's benefit. (Hoed didn't need to eat, but that's because they were stuck halfway between life and death.)

Edited by robardin

18 minutes ago, robardin said:

The honorspren considered Kalak as a Cognitive Shadow to be essentially a spren, not a human, so probably not that.

Would they recognise every Cognitive Shadow? Kalak is a Herald not just your average Cognitive Shadow.

An Elantrian might fit the bill, as we've seen Riino at the lighthouse in Oathbringer who is a confirmed Elantrian (the Hoed who led Raoden to the Shardpool that he sank into...). He looked like a Shin human to Kaladin, and may not trigger the "he's a SPREN in human form!" alarms for the honorspren.

But I believe Elantrians still need to eat? After the Hoed stuff was done with, anyway. In the short story The Hope of Elantris, the one that's in Arcanum Unbounded and takes place after Elantris, Raoden (the Elantrian) is at a dinner table with food, so one assumes he was going to eat.

Yes. One may assume that. But the further assumption that he has to eat, as opposed to likes to eat is questionable.

Unless it was just for Sarene's benefit. (Hoed didn't need to eat, but that's because they were stuck halfway between life and death.)

Yes. There is, however, a disgusting further possibility. If the Ire has found a way to put Dor into a storage container, he may be - how to put this delicately - recycling on a very fundamental level.

2 hours ago, robardin said:

Let's see: if he's been there for (say) 20 Rosharan months, that's 10 weeks of 5 days per month, he's been there for 1800 days. If each time he's Pulsing away 16 days, he's done at least 112 such pulses; if after each pulse, he comes out, checks for something against his notes, and goes back inside to Pulse again, with a total time of about 5 minutes per check, that's 560 minutes = over 9 hours hours of his personal time. Minimum.

That's pretty boring. I almost hope that's not what it is!

Unless what he's been waiting for is exactly what just happened, Adolin's trial, the re-opening of Lasting Integrity, and the loosening of the honorspren!

That would mean him coming out in the same clothes every time and what would he need the notes for? Something that you need notes for, yet takes only 5 minutes?

5 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That would mean him coming out in the same clothes every time and what would he need the notes for? Something that you need notes for, yet takes only 5 minutes?

Yes, it'd be the same clothes every time. Remember if he's using cadmium pulses, even at that length of stay, if he's Pulsing away 16 days at a time he's "only" been doing it for about 9-10 hours. Which TBH is starting to push the window on a normal human not needing to eat, drink, or eliminate. Maybe he has a bottle of water in there with him, I dunno.

As for what does he need to use notes for - we don't know if he's taking notes, or reading them ("fiddling" is not clear). He might be on the lookout for something happening that is complex enough (or unfamiliar enough) that he needs to compare it against a written or drawn example. Whatever it is, he can check it from the sculpture garden. Or, he's taking recorded measurements or something.

It's getting a bit farfetched, I admit; but the fact that he comes out every 16 days like clockwork really feels like a time skip thing to me, and once you're skimming through time any physical needs would seem to have a huge gap to those watching from the outside.

Edited by robardin

14 hours ago, GudThymes said:

Drat. I just want Tanavast to be alive so that we have a literal reason for Kaladins "Son of Tanavast" title/nickname. Thanks for the info on Tanavast :)

Can you imagine if Kaladin and Lirin's disagreements stem from him not being his actual son in a divine conception plotline? It'd be so awful...

Edited by Zedseayou

4 hours ago, Zedseayou said:

Can you imagine if Kaladin and Lirin's disagreements stem from him not being his actual son in a divine conception plotline? It'd be so awful...

OK, no riffs on suggestive puns involving "a splinter of Honor" please, I wouldn't want this board to go to strange new places that way.

17 hours ago, Brgst13 said:

Do we have a good description of Nazh?  We know he has visited Shadesmar several times, and often takes notes or reads others' notes.  I could see Khriss sending him there since a lot of interesting things are happening on Roshar right now.

"Nazh is a lanky man with a narrow, pinched face, blonde hair and blue eyes." (https://coppermind.net/wiki/Nazrilof)

So it does not appear that Sixteen is Nazsh. But thanks for making me check his decription because we do know Nazh is actually around on Roshar during this time (diving up Shallan's art, copying Bridge Four's tattoos, and studying under Navani's cartagropher), so this was a possibility.

The description doesn't match Demoux either, right?