Equipment and choice of champions[discussion]

Oltux72

• El did a weapons test
  • It was urgent

-> The conclusion that that was a test of a weapon to be used during the upcoming duell is hard to avoid

Can Odium forsee whom Dalinar will pick? If he knows that it will be Dalinar himself, he knows that he needs to counter a Bondsmith. He needs to counter

1. Tension - The champion needs to fight nude or clad in aluminium. You cannot risk his own clothing fighting him.
  2. Adhesion - And that is a real problem. That rules out anybody who needs a bond to be dangerous.

Both the Knights Radiant and Odium now have anti-magic fabrials and know that the other side has them. What does that mean?

I have a fun little theory I’ve been developing since I finished the book (which admittedly was a few hours ago) that technically there are no restrictions on the choice of champions, so Odium could pick Dalinar as well, resulting in a stalemate (while Dalinar lives) where he is still able to act, or a tie (when Dalinar dies) where he would not be bound by any of the agreed upon conditions. I am unsure if this would allow him to act outside the Rosharan system, as this is a very in-development theory, but it would at the very least provide an out from a pretty bad deal (and doesn’t violate the agreement in spirit either). Alternatively, Odium could just choose Navani or something like that, though that seems too simple a plot with too simple a resolution.

2 hours ago, Syntal said:

I have a fun little theory I’ve been developing since I finished the book (which admittedly was a few hours ago) that technically there are no restrictions on the choice of champions, so Odium could pick Dalinar as well, resulting in a stalemate (while Dalinar lives) where he is still able to act, or a tie (when Dalinar dies) where he would not be bound by any of the agreed upon conditions. I am unsure if this would allow him to act outside the Rosharan system, as this is a very in-development theory, but it would at the very least provide an out from a pretty bad deal (and doesn’t violate the agreement in spirit either). Alternatively, Odium could just choose Navani or something like that, though that seems too simple a plot with too simple a resolution.

This feels a little weird. I think it's an unspoken term that the Champion must agree to represent Odum or Dalinar. Otherwise, Rayse would have never had to try and turn Dalinar in the first place.

Both of the champions have to be willing participants according to the contract.

I know Dalinar intends to be champion, but with the Stormfather's distrust of the honorblades and refusal to become a blade himself, that could put them at a serious disadvantage.

Personally I think that Adolin and his father are going to resolve their differences. Dalinar will realize his greatest power as a Bondsmith is Connection. Adolin is the greatest living dualist, and his truly good nature has created very strong bonds with Renarin, Shallan, Kaladin, and Maya. Dalinar will forge those bonds with Adolin creating super Radient for the dual.

Thanks for the correction, I must have missed that the first time around. In terms of equipment I think the only real prerequisites are blade and either plate or extreme mobility (i.e windrunner/edgedancer level). A fairly important question for the humans though is whether or not braysium can be cut by a shardblade and how it interacts with investiture in general. I suspect we will see a great deal more of the metal in that duel, not just a lined dagger but more along the lines of pieces of armor/full weapons.