Symbols?

Ookla the Leafy

Question

So, I know there are symbols for almost everything. And each of those symbols has a subset. For example Scadrial>Mistborn>Allomancy/Feruchemy/Hemalurgy or Roshar>Radiants>Radiant orders, etc,etc. But I'm having lots of trouble finding anything on Warbreaker/Nalthis. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or give me better keywords?

Thanks everyone! 

7 answers to this question

Scadrial has symbols for its metals that also form the in-universe alphabet across multiple cultures and time periods (hence why there's different versions of characters for the same metal) and Roshar's glyphs are also an in-universe writing system. Sel's magics are all form-based so of course they have significant symbols and the Aonic language is built around incorporating them, there seems to be something similar going on with the Dakhor bone shapes and writing, etc.

Nalthis' magic system doesn't lend itself to that kind of synthesis of writing and symbolism and the most interesting in-universe writing we know of is based on color, which doesn't translate well to a black and white printed page. If you're looking for an equivalent to the Steel Alphabet or the glyphs for Warbreaker, you won't find it.

Edited by Weltall

14 hours ago, Weltall said:

Scadrial has symbols for its metals that also form the in-universe alphabet across multiple cultures and time periods (hence why there's different versions of characters for the same metal) and Roshar's glyphs are also an in-universe writing system. Sel's magics are all form-based so of course they have significant symbols and the Aonic language is built around incorporating them, there seems to be something similar going on with the Dakhor bone shapes and writing, etc.

Nalthis' magic system doesn't lend itself to that kind of synthesis of writing and symbolism and the most interesting in-universe writing we know of is based on color, which doesn't translate well to a black and white printed page. If you're looking for an equivalent to the Steel Alphabet or the glyphs for Warbreaker, you won't find it.

You do have Artisan's Script on Nalthis though!

4 hours ago, Krox said:

You do have Artisan's Script on Nalthis though!

There is an artisan's script, but it isn't as integral or important to the plotline. Even on Scadrial, the allomantic and feruchemical symbols aren't used much. Elantris is the book the symbols are most important in, then Stormlight Archive, then Warbreaker and Mistborn are tied, with neither being notable.

10 hours ago, Leafygeans said:

wow...I completely dropped off for like...2 years. My question (If i even remember it correctly) is, do we have a symbol for BioChromatic breath/Awakening? 

I think the closest we have is the Nalthian system symbol (Tears of Edgli). Possibly the Nalthian "Breath" from the Starchart.

WoI

Spoiler

Argent

Do the constellations have actual names you can share with us?

Isaac Stewart

Clockwise from Threnody: the Mourner, the Dragon, the Fisherman, the Giver, the Lamp, the Knight, and the One Tree. The names are a bit generic, mostly because they are working names I used to refer to the different constellations during the process of painting the piece. It should be noted that the people from the spot in the Cosmere where the night sky does look like this would not see these pictures in the constellations nor give them these names. The pictures the patron saw in the stars here are based on their own observations and knowledge about the Cosmere as a whole. The locals would see entirely different pictures in their stars, for those who can even see the stars from their vantage.

One tidbit I should mention is that the lamp used to be a constellation called the Lover and was a man receiving breath from the Giver. I dropped it mostly because it's reference to Devotion wasn't working visually. Another thing to note: Not all the stars on this chart are physically within the Cosmere. Some are in the parts of Space beyond the Cosmere.