Leafygeans

Symbols?

Question

So, I know there are symbols for almost everything. And each of those symbols has a subset. For example Scadrial>Mistborn>Allomancy/Feruchemy/Hemalurgy or Roshar>Radiants>Radiant orders, etc,etc. But I'm having lots of trouble finding anything on Warbreaker/Nalthis. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or give me better keywords?

Thanks everyone! 

5 answers to this question

I need further clarification. Are you talking about the allomantic symbols, feruchemical symbols, and aons? If so, then there is no equivalent of this on Nalthis. The only thing we have is the chart of breaths and powers.

Scadrial has symbols for its metals that also form the in-universe alphabet across multiple cultures and time periods (hence why there's different versions of characters for the same metal) and Roshar's glyphs are also an in-universe writing system. Sel's magics are all form-based so of course they have significant symbols and the Aonic language is built around incorporating them, there seems to be something similar going on with the Dakhor bone shapes and writing, etc.

Nalthis' magic system doesn't lend itself to that kind of synthesis of writing and symbolism and the most interesting in-universe writing we know of is based on color, which doesn't translate well to a black and white printed page. If you're looking for an equivalent to the Steel Alphabet or the glyphs for Warbreaker, you won't find it.

Edited by Weltall

14 hours ago, Weltall said:

Scadrial has symbols for its metals that also form the in-universe alphabet across multiple cultures and time periods (hence why there's different versions of characters for the same metal) and Roshar's glyphs are also an in-universe writing system. Sel's magics are all form-based so of course they have significant symbols and the Aonic language is built around incorporating them, there seems to be something similar going on with the Dakhor bone shapes and writing, etc.

Nalthis' magic system doesn't lend itself to that kind of synthesis of writing and symbolism and the most interesting in-universe writing we know of is based on color, which doesn't translate well to a black and white printed page. If you're looking for an equivalent to the Steel Alphabet or the glyphs for Warbreaker, you won't find it.

You do have Artisan's Script on Nalthis though!

4 hours ago, Krox said:

There is an artisan's script, but it isn't as integral or important to the plotline. Even on Scadrial, the allomantic and feruchemical symbols aren't used much. Elantris is the book the symbols are most important in, then Stormlight Archive, then Warbreaker and Mistborn are tied, with neither being notable.

9 hours ago, Krox said:

Which is why I specifically said that it's based on color instead of form and thus isn't something that can be conveyed in the book.