Wadders

Converting Investiture

10 posts in this topic

After reading the scene where Navani creates the anit-voidlight I started wondering if the same technique could be used to convert investiture between different type (eg. stormlight to breaths). It would depend I think on whether the other forms of investiture have tones or whether that is a specific interaction on Roshar.

Also wondered how using investiture in space would be affected.

What do you think?

Perhaps this is how Lift creates Lifelight? Navani didn't show the ability to convert one Light into another, though.

My impression was that Navani was blanking the investiture and then using a gem and the tone to then set it to a certain type. If that's the case they could potentially turn it to any investiture using the right tone.

5 minutes ago, Wadders said:

My impression was that Navani was blanking the investiture and then using a gem and the tone to then set it to a certain type. If that's the case they could potentially turn it to any investiture using the right tone.

What your saying is, Might be a step towards figuring out how to convert Investiture, but i dont think its as simple as playing a different rhythm.

Edited by Eternal Khol

I think we've already seen a way for Stormlight to be converted into Lifelight:

Their best farmers had explained it wouldn’t work. You could simulate the highstorm minerals the plants needed to form shells, but the cold air would stifle growth. Rlain had agreed this was true … unless you had an edge.

Unless you grew the plants by the light of gemstones.

The common field before Kaladin was adorned with a most uncommon sight: enormous emeralds harvested from the hearts of chasmfiends, ensconced within short iron lampposts that were in turn bolted to the stone ground. The emeralds were so large, and so full of Stormlight, that looking at one left spots on Kaladin’s vision, though it was in full daylight.

Beside each lantern sat an ardent with a drum, softly banging a specific rhythm. This was the secret. People would have noticed if gemstone light made plants grow—but the mixture of the light and the music changed something. Lifespren—little green motes that bobbed in the air—spun around the drummers. The spren glowed brighter than usual, as if the Light of the gemstones was infusing them. And they’d move off to the plants, spinning around them.

Sanderson, Brandon. Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive) . Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

This was weird at the beginning of the book...but after Navani's research, it makes a lot more sense. The mixture of the light and the music results in Lifelight, which makes the plants grow better. Note how the Lifespren are getting 'infused'.

25 minutes ago, Seloun said:

The mixture of the light and the music results in Lifelight, which makes the plants grow better. Note how the Lifespren are getting 'infused'.

But the only way navani was able to create the anti-voidlight was by cutting off Odiums Rhythms with the vacuum chamber and then playing a different rhythm.

it makes sense that to convert investiture, youd need to “Attune” the Investiture to a different Rhythm.

But out on the plateaus of Urithiru, The Stormlight in the gems are still connected to Honor’s Rhythms.

I think its still Stormlight. The music just augments it(or the spren? Or both?) 

Edited by Eternal Khol

It might work.  I can't help but feel however that it is not that simple.  Navani notably does not try to convert one type of investiture into another.  We only ever see her combine and invert the types.

Edited by Karger

11 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

But the only way navani was able to create the anti-voidlight was by cutting off Odiums Rhythms with the vacuum chamber and then playing a different rhythm.

it makes sense that to convert investiture, youd need to “Attune” the Investiture to a different Rhythm.

But out on the plateaus of Urithiru, The Stormlight in the gems are still connected to Honor’s Rhythms.

I think its still Stormlight. The music just augments it(or the spren? Or both?) 

With different rythms would you be able to get the stormlight to produce other effects similar to the surges? What they show in the fields seems similar to the edgedancers growth. Could you find a rhythm that affects regrowth or gravitation?

10 hours ago, Karger said:

It might work.  I can't help but feel however that it is not that simple.  Navani notably does not try to convert one type of investiture into another.  We only ever see her combine and invert the types.

I think there will probably more to it to remove the Connection between the shard and the investiture. Maybe seal the vacuum tube in an aluminium chamber whilst trying to atune it to a different rhythm.

Edited by Wadders

On 11/18/2020 at 2:17 PM, Wadders said:

It would depend I think on whether the other forms of investiture have tones or whether that is a specific interaction on Roshar.

What do you think?

I think that each of the shards would have a specific time associated with them as evidenced by raysium & that shardblades are a godmetal. 

I did think about whether the anti tones could be used to condense light into the relevant god metal.  Maybe by repelling the light on all side using the anti tone to condese it.