CHICKENS! 

Spoiler

CHICKENS! 

Spoiler

CHICKENS! 

Spoiler

CHICKENS! 

2 minutes ago, Condensation said:

AAAH I WANT ONE!!! :P Sounds amazing, though.

*cough*

I'm going to give my parrot rant.

Spoiler

Parrots should not be in captivity.

Unfortunately they are, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Also very unfortunately, they are very underestimated. If you want a pet parrot (anything from a budgie (American parakeet) to a cockatoo), you have to do your research. You have to know what the proper type of cage is (bar spacing, bar thickness, size, shape, quality, material), you have to be prepared to spend a lot of money on vet bills (for an avian vet, as parrots easily get sick, and they are very different from cats and dogs), you have to know proper diet and diet conversion methods (how much seed, how much veggies, can you sprout seeds, what type of pellets, how would you get your bird to eat pellets), you have to be aware that parrots are destructive and will chew things up and will need new toys frequently, and you have to make sure you get the bird that's right for you. You have to be aware that parrots are very intelligent. Take budgies, for example. They're often left in cages that are so small they can't even spread their wings, with no toys, no mental stimulation of any sort. Not even let out of the cage. If you have a single budgie, they should be out with you for hours at a time. But since budgies are flock birds, it is best to keep them in even numbers. If the cage is large, they need a minimum of two hours out every day. If a budgie is well taken care of, they can also live up to fifteen years. You can even teach budgies tricks, and they'll remember them. You do need to learn proper training techniques, however.

It is worth it though. If you can put in the time and effort and money, and are willing to make a commitment for 15+ years without backing down no matter how hard it becomes, then get a parrot.

(I'd suggest fostering first). Parrots are the #1 most rehomed animals. They make amazing companions, but deserve so much more than we can give them. So many people go to the store, see the pretty parakeet for $25, and decide to take it home. 

Parakeets who go to a home with no knowledge of how to care for a bird live, on average, for about 5 years. Five years without even being to fly, in many cases. 

And that's just the small birds.

So that's my parrot rant.

If you have a parrot, or want to get one, and would like more information, please contact me and I'd be more than happy to give you some information and direct you to some great resources. If you have a parrot but can't give it what it needs to thrive, then I'd encourage you to give that bird up to a parrot rescue, so that they can find the best home that they can. Even if that bird is just a budgie.

I didn't reread that, so please excuse anything that isn't clear.

5 minutes ago, Tesh said:

*cough*

I'm going to give my parrot rant.

Reveal hidden contents

Parrots should not be in captivity.

Unfortunately they are, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Also very unfortunately, they are very underestimated. If you want a pet parrot (anything from a budgie (American parakeet) to a cockatoo), you have to do your research. You have to know what the proper type of cage is (bar spacing, bar thickness, size, shape, quality, material), you have to be prepared to spend a lot of money on vet bills (for an avian vet, as parrots easily get sick, and they are very different from cats and dogs), you have to know proper diet and diet conversion methods (how much seed, how much veggies, can you sprout seeds, what type of pellets, how would you get your bird to eat pellets), you have to be aware that parrots are destructive and will chew things up and will need new toys frequently, and you have to make sure you get the bird that's right for you. You have to be aware that parrots are very intelligent. Take budgies, for example. They're often left in cages that are so small they can't even spread their wings, with no toys, no mental stimulation of any sort. Not even let out of the cage. If you have a single budgie, they should be out with you for hours at a time. But since budgies are flock birds, it is best to keep them in even numbers. If the cage is large, they need a minimum of two hours out every day. If a budgie is well taken care of, they can also live up to fifteen years. You can even teach budgies tricks, and they'll remember them. You do need to learn proper training techniques, however.

It is worth it though. If you can put in the time and effort and money, and are willing to make a commitment for 15+ years without backing down no matter how hard it becomes, then get a parrot.

(I'd suggest fostering first). Parrots are the #1 most rehomed animals. They make amazing companions, but deserve so much more than we can give them. So many people go to the store, see the pretty parakeet for $25, and decide to take it home. 

Parakeets who go to a home with no knowledge of how to care for a bird live, on average, for about 5 years. Five years without even being to fly, in many cases. 

And that's just the small birds.

So that's my parrot rant.

If you have a parrot, or want to get one, and would like more information, please contact me and I'd be more than happy to give you some information and direct you to some great resources. If you have a parrot but can't give it what it needs to thrive, then I'd encourage you to give that bird up to a parrot rescue, so that they can find the best home that they can. Even if that bird is just a budgie.

I didn't reread that, so please excuse anything that isn't clear.

Sorry, but no. Three cats. :P I was joking.

Just now, Condensation said:

Sorry, but no. Three cats. :P I was joking.

Oooh, cats...

I'm allergic, and it sucks. Cats are great.

A lot of people do have both parrots and cats, but it's definitely not suggested.

I do, however, have several family members who have normal Earth chickens. And ducks.

46 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

Sometimes I look up in the sky and see a chicken. A big chicken. A big metal chicken. A big metal chicken that is traveling several hundred miles per hour. And when I shout chicken, my sister gives me weird looks.

*snort*

On 20/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, Shard of Reading said:

Sometimes I look up in the sky and see a chicken. A big chicken. A big metal chicken. A big metal chicken that is traveling several hundred miles per hour. And when I shout chicken, my sister gives me weird looks.

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... a big metal chicken that is traveling several hundred miles per hour!