Dabbid (Full RoW Spoilers)

I was going to post this topic a few weeks ago, but then I decided that it was betterto wait until Rhythm of War came out. I was going to talk about how I wished Brandon would make Dabbid recover. Well, thanks Brandon. I'm really glad that Dabbid made a recovery, because I felt really bad for and and Rlain. The good thing is, that Brandon gave both of them a oretty big role in the book, so I'm happy about that.

Any thoughts on Dabbid's Recovery? 

Do you think he will play a bigger part in book five?

Edited by Bearer of all agonies

I did not foresee, before reading this book, how much I would come to love Dabbid. I like that he was able to recover somewhat from his shock, but that wasn't just a cure-all. He has his own distinct set of challenges, and I do hope he bonds a spren eventually, he wants to so badly.

Just now, Singer said:

I did not foresee, before reading this book, how much I would come to love Dabbid. I like that he was able to recover somewhat from his shock, but that wasn't just a cure-all. He has his own distinct set of challenges, and I do hope he bonds a spren eventually, he wants to so badly.

I liked him before RoW, and I was going to post this thread before hand, but then I waited for RoW. Dang, I wish I posted it sooner because then I could say I called it. I mean, I did, but not publicly. Yeah, I can’t wait to meet his spren. 

Just now, Bearer of all agonies said:

I liked him before RoW, and I was going to post this thread before hand, but then I waited for RoW. Dang, I wish I posted it sooner because then I could say I called it. I mean, I did, but not publicly. Yeah, I can’t wait to meet his spren. 

Then you seriously deserve a pat on the back! Having theories about what Dabbid would be up to was not even on my radar.

8 hours ago, Singer said:

Then you seriously deserve a pat on the back! Having theories about what Dabbid would be up to was not even on my radar.

At first I just felt really bad for him, but then I thought, Hey. What if Brandon does too. Or maybe Brandon wants David to become a great hero or something. 

6 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I'm one of those people who sees someone who is very much a minor character and hopes they get more page time, and Dabbid was one of those.  And I'd be lying if I didn't cheer inside when we found out he was healing.

Haha. I did the same thing. Yeah, it’s awesome when a character like him gets back into the book. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I figured he was more than what was on the page, since he didn't talk at all for what seemed like a couple years, while possible, the more time went on, the more I found it suspicious, especially compared to the others through all that time from the same group.

I thought it may have been some sort of spren or odium, or something factor that was using him for other ends. I was happy to be wrong, I think this explanation does it, and more, and it was quite a wholesome message to me, of the sort of problem those sorts of people tend to have IRL at times, that gets very little media coverage. This turned out much better than all of my other possibility hunches, and I wasn't close. I like it when a story does that to me.

I completely forgot that Dabbid existed after the  first time we see him in WoK he just wasn’t a good character that did anything 

And Brandon healing his battleshock felt completely out of left field with no foreshadowing 

And he still hasn’t actually done anything that feels important ( Although on a purely in-world level he did help save urithuru it didn’t feel like it)

On 3/25/2021 at 1:25 AM, The Unknown Order said:

Why is this? (note: I know next to nothing about battle shock)

Battle shock is definitely one reason he wasn't speaking but a bigger reason was because he was told he was dumb his whole life and didn't want to ruin Bridge 4's perception of him

On 3/30/2021 at 5:22 AM, Bejardin1250 said:

I completely forgot that Dabbid existed after the  first time we see him in WoK he just wasn’t a good character that did anything 

And Brandon healing his battleshock felt completely out of left field with no foreshadowing 

And he still hasn’t actually done anything that feels important ( Although on a purely in-world level he did help save urithuru it didn’t feel like it)

I see where your coming from, pretty similiar to Renarin really.

Altho Dabbid/Rlain should of been the one to bond the sibling, narratively would of been better i think, 

I loved the dabbid arc. I was half waiting for him to become the sibling's radiant.. I am a bit disappointed he didn't become a radiant. I would think if he attracted the notice of the sibling, other spren would find him worthy.

Altho Dabbid/Rlain should of been the one to bond the sibling, narratively would of been better i think, 

I agree it would have been better for the story, but sanderson was setting Navani up for a while to become the next Bondsmith

Edited by Ethansmith

21 minutes ago, Ethansmith said:

I agree it would have been better for the story, but sanderson was setting Navani up for a while to become the next Bondsmith

I'm going to have to disagree that it was set up, at least in the story itself, from a meta percpective you can say, "oh yeah Navani's the main character of this book of course she's going to be the one to get the bond" but in world foreshadowing actually said the exact oposite, that she was and I quote "not worthy" of being a Bondsmith.

11 hours ago, Ethansmith said:

11 hours ago, Frustration said:

I'm going to have to disagree that it was set up, at least in the story itself, from a meta percpective you can say, "oh yeah Navani's the main character of this book of course she's going to be the one to get the bond" but in world foreshadowing actually said the exact oposite, that she was and I quote "not worthy" of being a Bondsmith.

I agree with Frustration, i don't think Navani becoming a bondsmith was foreshadowed in the books

Altho was a widely held theory on here beforehand.

I am in the minority with the view that to be quiet frank, Navani wasn't worthy to become a bondsmith or in actual fact even a radiant at all. Narratively going forward wouldnof been alot more interesting with Rlain or Dabbid bonding the sibling as well, instead get another Kholin, one who spent the entire book colluding with the "enemy"

I think her character was being set up for bondsmith. A Bondsmith forges bonds and brings people together. Navani was the one in charge of bringing everyone together in Urithiru, in RoW she literally brought together two god's tones. I do think Rlain would have been a much better choice considering he literally bridged the gap between humans and singers, but I think sanderson was setting Navani up a bit more.