Was anyone ready for the King T bombshell? ROW SPOILERS

Elsecaller_17.5

18 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

What are you talking about? Environmental factors are often taken into consideration when it comes to disorders. We can even take his "middling" intelligence days as an indication of what he's like without the Boon/Bane

Again, Narcissism is a spectrum and not every checkbox needs to be marked, just enough to establish patterns.

Even then his behavior contradicts his words. Even when telling Dalinar he hopes to be proven wrong he clearly in no way believes he is wrong. 

He believes that his genius Diagram is the best and most successful possible solution, that nothing anyone else anyone does can compare.

Even when stupid he still believes he's special and unique and that he is beyond other people's understanding, that they need to believe in the smarter him.

Possible, though I would argue that he does, that he wants people to acknowledge that he's save them. But that's another conversation

He has a massive sense of entitlement. He believes that all of his actions are justified because he's doing it to save the world. He wants to get Dalinar to agree with him and in RoW he thinks that Szeth should listen to him even after the horrendous way that he manipulated him. He believes that he needs to be the one to save the world. Rather than explain to Dalinar how Nightblood could harm Odium he believed he needed to manipulate a whole situation.

Not just limited to his 'smart' days. Even on his 'middling' days which are probably the truest personality for him he's more than willing to bleed innocent people dry for the Death Rattles. Something that the Diagram itself says won't do much good but he does it anyway on the small chance that they will give useful information. Even on his 'stupid' days he simply feels guilt but doesn't truly think what he's doing was wrong and that it's important to believe in 'smart' Taravangian.

Tell that to Dalinar. It's pretty clear that he has trouble with the fact that Dalinar doesn't fall in line and that he's able to bring so many people to his side without manipulating them

Taravangian is not a good man who has chosen to do evil. He's an evil man who thinks he's good. Fiction is littered with characters like him who do horrendous evil things because it's necessary. Technically The Lord Ruler is an example. He created a despotic empire to 'save' the world from Ruin. Taravangian is no better.

Good man choosing to do evil is Brandon’s description, so you clearly know better than the author. 

And I think you and I have very different understandings about what is necessary to fit into those categories (of which five are necessary for diagnosis.) I can only presume our teachers came from different psychological schools. Personally, I’m a Jungian. You?

26 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Good man choosing to do evil is Brandon’s description, so you clearly know better than the author. 

I have never seen any reference of Brandon describing him like this. Looking in the Arcanum there are no WoB

Regardless of if he is a true narcissist or not, he does display narcissistic behavior. His belief that only HE can save the world is evident enough of that and that combined with his amorality and intellect make him horrifying as Odium

Edited by StanLemon

49 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

I have never seen any reference of Brandon describing him like this. Looking in the Arcanum there are no WoB

Regardless of if he is a true narcissist or not, he does display narcissistic behavior. His belief that only HE can save the world is evident enough of that and that combined with his amorality and intellect make him horrifying as Odium

I think T’s worse, as noted. 

You didn’t tell me your psychological perspective. I’m genuinely curious. I’m getting behaviorist vibes from you, but I’m probably completely wrong.