[Spoilers Sixth of the Dusk Sequel] New weapon on First of the Sun

Alpharho

2 hours ago, Karger said:

I don't know if traveling through the PR would work the same way for a CS.  Either way they must have solved it somehow.

I asked Brandon this last year and he said the same rules apply in general; if you try to fly out on a ship, eventually you will get pulled too tight. 

seems like the voidbinding equivalent of a skybreaker. We know the SA era Skybreakers are rather different from what they would've been in other eras because of the influence of Nale, and it seems like eventually they'd go back to what they were before, but that Skybreaker-type seems far more like Nale than I'd guess of a pure skybreaker, which is why (that and the voidlight/warlight) I'm guessing voidbinding equivalent of skybreaker.

To me, the notable thing isn't the Connection hack- they've been multiple signs that such a thing is possible. I'm more curious about how what appears to be a Skybreaker managed to make his Plate function as a spacesuit; I had thought that that would be something only Windrunners could do, since they can use Adhesion to handle any pressure-related problems that crop up.

1 hour ago, Czernobog said:

Are both TOB and the Rosharan still in the dark about what grants the Aviar's abilities? They seem fixated on birds and raising birds alone. I'm not certain they yet know about the special place and the worms that are they true source of the Aviar abilities. 

I think they know, which is why they want to use FOS as a processing planet, taking birds after they've been turned into Aviar. I'm certain they know how it occurs, but it's clear they don't know how to reproduce that outside of Patji/First of the Sun, which seems to leave them stuck: if they want the investiture/product, they are forced to have an outpost on a backwards planet. 

I do think it's notable that Patji still seems unnavigable enough that the TOB/Rosharan won't try to go there themselves. I'm guessing they believe it's a primitive job for a primitive people, which is, in fact, a very colonial mindset, so it fits. Which is why I'm guessing the lowly Trapper in tune with the island will be the one to gather the resources to save it. 

On 11/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Considering TOA are Scadrian, I’m very curious to see what Harmony thinks of all of this. I can’t see him encouraging it, but certainly not prohibitions it either.

Also, what connection hack is that Skybreaker using?? I really want to know...

Envoyform perhaps

Should be noted that whoever this rosharan faction is they did not send one representative they sent two. Assuming that this is a nahel bond and not a hack or some such. So while the skybreaker may seem corse and kinda evil honestly there is the possibility that the spren he has bonded could also negotiate. A high spren is likely as ridged as the Radient tho. Also I vote that it is a singer or singer-hybrid, otherwise there would be no line about the oddness of the voice, as TOA are not descibed as having a weird cadance.

1 hour ago, Nesh said:

It kind of bothers me that both the Scadrians and Rosharans are bad guys...  Of course, there's probably more to it than what the First of the Sunners know.

Yes. And, as was noted earlier, it is unlikely that either of those factions speak for their entire planet.

5 hours ago, Nesh said:

It kind of bothers me that both the Scadrians and Rosharans are bad guys...  Of course, there's probably more to it than what the First of the Sunners know.

Are there any purely “good guys” in a war? There are perhaps good motivations and bad ones, but in the end, both sides surely see themselves as the virtuous ones, and some colonialist domination is really for their own good. I would Imagine that, like most colonial powers, both sides see First of the Sun as populated by backwater savages whose lives they’ve made better through technology, and who don’t even need that magic, really, so what does it harm them to take it?

I will say that, with our Skybreaker friend here, the war looks pretty clear cut: it’s Roshar v Scadrial (plus allies I’m sure) and both probably want aviar to win...

6 minutes ago, Bliev said:

Are there any purely “good guys” in a war? There are perhaps good motivations and bad ones, but in the end, both sides surely see themselves as the virtuous ones, and some colonialist domination is really for their own good. I would Imagine that, like most colonial powers, both sides see First of the Sun as populated by backwater savages whose lives they’ve made better through technology, and who don’t even need that magic, really, so what does it harm them to take it?

I will say that, with our Skybreaker friend here, the war looks pretty clear cut: it’s Roshar v Scadrial (plus allies I’m sure) and both probably want aviar to win...

Well it depends on the war.  There can be on faction that has moral highground pver another.

10 hours ago, Nesh said:

Well it depends on the war.  There can be on faction that has moral highground pver another.

I agree completely. I’m guessing the end of the first arc of SA will give us some hint as to what the sides are...and who’s the moral victor for sure.

But my guess is, per our skybreaker friend, the “children in the war zone” are unable to be so morally reflective, as bombs from either side will kill them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/11/2020 at 0:27 AM, Okola the Misspelled said:

RoW Spoilers

Hide contents

The Ones Above remind me strongly here of the Ghostbloods, particularly with the fact they are Scadrian. I wonder if, rather than Scadrian vs. Rosharan, we are seeing Ghostbloods vs another group. 

Uhm, that's a very good point.

On 11/29/2020 at 8:27 PM, Okola the Misspelled said:

RoW Spoilers

Hide contents

The Ones Above remind me strongly here of the Ghostbloods, particularly with the fact they are Scadrian. I wonder if, rather than Scadrian vs. Rosharan, we are seeing Ghostbloods vs another group. 

This would beg the question

Spoiler

Would Kelsier still be in charge of the Ghostbloods if this were the case?While he's not against using people, the act of subjugating whole worlds seems like something he would be against. While not as bad as TFE it would be very reminiscent of it. Unless it would be to show how far he's fallen.

To me though it seems more like The Set than Ghostbloods 

21 hours ago, StanLemon said:

This would beg the question

Spoiler

I'm not entirely sure Kelsier-as-Thaidakar is completely in charge of the Ghostbloods even as we know them, much less further in the future. Seems like a bad idea for a group that goes around assassinating people and smuggling Investiture cross-CR to leave themselves open to a single weak link breaking their whole chain. Kell might be the Scadrian head, or the head of the Connection shenanigan team specifically, but I don't think he's the be all end all of the Ghostblood leadership.

16 hours ago, Invocation said:
  Hide contents

I'm not entirely sure Kelsier-as-Thaidakar is completely in charge of the Ghostbloods even as we know them, much less further in the future. Seems like a bad idea for a group that goes around assassinating people and smuggling Investiture cross-CR to leave themselves open to a single weak link breaking their whole chain. Kell might be the Scadrian head, or the head of the Connection shenanigan team specifically, but I don't think he's the be all end all of the Ghostblood leadership.

Spoiler

Brandon has said that if Kelsier joined the Ghostbloods he'd be in charge by the end of the year, and given that he is the head, or at least a head, I have no doubt that he is in charge, of everything.

From State of the Sanderson 2020:

untitled Threnody novel, Sixth of the Dusk sequel, untitled Emperor’s Soul sequel, The Silence Divine, Secret Standalone Cosmere Book, that wacky YA Cosmere Book with Magic Kites, Kingmaker (First of the Sun YA novel not involving Sixth), and Aether of Night

We have a name for the Sixth of the Dusk YA novel!

The Threnody novel has had a placeholder name for a while for those who didn't know: the Dust Brigade.

"A Secret Standalone Cosmere Book"... Vax?

Magic Kites one has been suspected to be an Aethers novel (this is where the idea for Aethers and Spren was back a long time ago in Sanderson's mind, check it out in the TWG Archives, and apparently even after all this time he still wants to do it), might be set in

RoW spoilers

Spoiler

Whimsy's world

He really does want to do this Sixth of the Dusk sequel and is wondering how to cut out overt spoilers, as he's mentioned before, which is good for our chances of getting this novella! 

Edited by Honorless

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 8:35 AM, Jozomby said:

Perhaps a stretch, but this has me wondering if this alien in the armor is a singer speaking to the rhythms.

I also thought Listener.  Eshonai was often described as 7-foot tall in her plate.  I think this might be a Skybreaker Listener.

All these theories are really cool. But one point: The other representatives, the ones who came in before our friendly Skybreaker, also seemed like Rosharans. They had very ornamental armor, like Shardplate, and Dusk sees a vision of his body with his face smoking - eyes burned out with a Shardblade? Finally, one of them is described as speaking the language of the homeisles like a native, so maybe one of them is a Willshaper, who can learn languages the way Dalinar learned Thaylen in OB (I think that's Willshapers)

1 hour ago, MGershone said:

All these theories are really cool. But one point: The other representatives, the ones who came in before our friendly Skybreaker, also seemed like Rosharans. They had very ornamental armor, like Shardplate, and Dusk sees a vision of his body with his face smoking - eyes burned out with a Shardblade? Finally, one of them is described as speaking the language of the homeisles like a native, so maybe one of them is a Willshaper, who can learn languages the way Dalinar learned Thaylen in OB (I think that's Willshapers)

It isn't. Willshapers can't use Spiritual Adhesion.

All these theories are really cool. But one point: The other representatives, the ones who came in before our friendly Skybreaker, also seemed like Rosharans. They had very ornamental armor, like Shardplate, 

Or like any sci-fi civilization

Dusk sees a vision of his body with his face smoking - eyes burned out with a Shardblade? 

Or laser weapon

Finally, one of them is described as speaking the language of the homeisles like a native, so maybe one of them is a Willshaper, who can learn languages the way Dalinar learned Thaylen in OB (I think that's Willshapers)

Or a Duralumin ferring or a feruchemist.