Rhythm of War Typo Thread

Chaos

A possible continuity thing, could have a different explanation:

The first thing I thought when I read that Captain Notum's father was a deadeye in RoW C36 was "isn't that Captain Ico's father that's the deadeye"?

I continued to think about it and since Notum's father was born after the Recreance (OB C108) there would have to be extraordinary circumstances for him to become a deadeye, which might be the case.

Just wanted to check if they got confused, though.

• 4 weeks later...

The word "doctor" hasn't been used in SA in any of the first three full-length novels, with "surgeon" typically being used instead, but it is used three times in Rhythm of War. One such use is as follows:
Chapter 16: 

The doctors weren't certain if something strange had been done to him during his time in Kholinar.

The other two times are in Chapter 37, Kaladin thinking about doctors not being able to read. It doesn't seem likely that Kaladin wouldn't use the word doctor at all for the first three books if doctor is a word that exists in Alethi.

There's also two separate descriptions of the way singers see gloryspren that don't track, iirc one had a tail and one didn't mention a tail, but I lost my notes so i can't find where that is. I think both were in flashback chapters.
US Hardcover edition

US Print Edition hardback Chapter 111, page 1161

She saw the tower now as an entity, with lines of garnet very like veins and arteries.

I think that should be, "very much like veins and arteries." Source.

US Print Edition hardback Chapter 115, page 1194

And though she still didn't say much, Shallan doubted many beings - human or spren - had ever spoken words quite so valuable as Maya had at the trial.

I believe this is an introductory phrase followed by a comma which should be followed immediately the noun it's referring to. This sentence however, gives the incorrect idea that Shallan is the one who still didn't say much (it's Maya who didn't say much). Source

Edited by MCrockett

7 hours ago, MCrockett said:

I think that should be, "very much like veins and arteries." Source.

Wrong “like”. One thing can be “very like” another, as in the two things are very alike. A person cannot “very like” something, they must “very much like” it if it is something they enjoy a lot. That one’s proper usage as-is.

44 minutes ago, Kyn said:

Wrong “like”. One thing can be “very like” another, as in the two things are very alike. A person cannot “very like” something, they must “very much like” it if it is something they enjoy a lot. That one’s proper usage as-is.

Minor quibble: A person can be very like something. “She was very like a cactus pear: prickly on the outside, but once you got past the thorns you’d find her to be surprisingly soft.’

7 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Minor quibble: A person can be very like something. “She was very like a cactus pear: prickly on the outside, but once you got past the thorns you’d find her to be surprisingly soft.’

…To “be very like” is exactly the usage I said was acceptable. A person is a thing.

RoW chapter 9 says:

The Soulcaster cache discovered in Aimia earlier in the year had brought an incredible boon to the coalition armies.

But Dawnshard happened at the end of the previous year by my reckoning. (DS chapter 7 puts the Battle of Thaylen Field 6 months prior, which puts that chapter around the beginning of month 9.) That chapter is also noted as the halfway point of their voyage. If we assume the battle was closer to 6.5 months prior (so we're middle of month 9) and they didn't reach Aimia until the new year it would mean their full voyage took 3 months, which seems excessive and doesn't fit well with other references.

Dragonsteel may already be aware of this... I assume it's an issue of Dawnshard being written and revised after RoW. But I haven't seen it updated yet, so wanted to make a note of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 5:46 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

In the fight scene over hearthstone Kaladin calls Lewshi “Femalen” then recognized her

but later after when Venli sees her she says she is in a “malen body”

This is intentional. While she is currently in a malen body, Leshwi is still femalen and would be referred to as such by Kaladin. I don't know if he'd know singer physiology well enough to peg the body as malen right off the bat; singers mostly seem to be recognized by their skin patterns. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Frustration Ah, sorry. Reading back on my original post, my wording wasn’t very clear. Chapters 86 and 88 are both Venli/Eshonai flashbacks. I was talking about the bolded words at the beginning of each flashback chapter (in lieu of an epigraph) that tell you how much time in the past the chapter takes place. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

18 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

@Frustration Ah, sorry. Reading back on my original post, my wording wasn’t very clear. Chapters 86 and 88 are both Venli/Eshonai flashbacks. I was talking about the bolded words at the beginning of each flashback chapter (in lieu of an epigraph) that tell you how much time in the past the chapter takes place. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh in the like sub chapter heading?

Ok that makes more sense now.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 13 a few paragraphs toward the end

“Find a reason to visit the honorspren,” Mraize said. “Then we shall talk.” He lifted his arm and threw the bird off toward another hunt.

The section is from Shallan's PoV, and she calls it a chicken the rest of the chapter, but here she calls it a bird.

I-5 Lift

Together she and Wyndle followed, the spren growing increasingly worried—particularly after the bird fluttered down into a corridor, then stared at the ground and chirped in an annoyed way.

The section is Lift's PoV, and she also calls it a chicken, except for this one time.